Home Sports Talk

1st Team NHL All Star Team - ALL TIME

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three forwards
Two D
One goalie

Is Orr, Howe, Gretzky, and Lemieux on everyone's list ?

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

C Gretzky
    RW Howe
    LW Bobby Hull
    D Orr
    D Lidstrom
    G Brodeur

For my second D I could easly have Bourque, Larry Robinson or Doug Harvey but I was trying to keep any Monteal Candians off the first team. If you let Lemieux play LW I’ll put him in over Hull

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr, Bourque, Roy

Roy, Brodeur, Sawchuk are all good choices as goalie

I’ve seen Robinson, Potvin, Bourque, Lidstrom and Harvey discussed or written about on all time first teams and strong cases can be made for each of them. Harvey is usually the pick

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@1970s said:
    Nobody was more dominant during a short span like Hasek.

I have seen way too many good goalies to just choose one. There is none that stands above
    the rest, except Hasek during a brief stretch.

Good call. The Dominator.

I actually have a signed Hasek helmet from the entire 2001-2002 Red Wings Stanley Cup winning team. Probably the most talented team of all-time. I think 10 Hall of Famers

Hasek
    Hull
    Datsyuk
    Robitaille
    Chelios
    Federov
    Larionov
    Lidstrom
    Shannahan
    Yzerman

Plus Holmstrom, McCarty and Draper

m

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019 7:00PM

@Justacommeman said:

Good call. Ken Dryden .

m

Fixed that for you

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Dominator
    Orr and Robinson
    Gretzky, Mario and Howe

alternates
    Brodeur
    Harvey and Bourque
    Richard, Hull and Bossy

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

This is a depressing thread , it makes me sad that hockey is no longer watchable.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    This is a depressing thread , it makes me sad that hockey is no longer watchable.

The only reason it's unwatchable, as far as I am concerned, is that it's not on "free" TV anymore.

The game itself is so much better than the others because there aren't so many commercial breaks,

Baseball games last 4 hours, the last 10 minutes of a close basketball game takes an hour, football is OK but has gotten much worse.

Curious as to why you don't like hockey now.

My team;
    Orr and Robinson or Lidstrom
    Gretzky, Mario and Howe
    Brodeur, Hasek, Plante, Roy, or Esposito would all be fine.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@bronco2078 said:

The only reason it's unwatchable, as far as I am concerned, is that it's not on "free" TV anymore.

The game itself is so much better than the others because there aren't so many commercial breaks,

Baseball games last 4 hours, the last 10 minutes of a close basketball game takes an hour, football is OK but has gotten much worse.

Curious as to why you don't like hockey now.

My team;
    Orr and Robinson or Lidstrom
    Gretzky, Mario and Howe
    Brodeur, Hasek, Plante, Roy, or Esposito would all be fine.

too much defense . I grew up watching in the 70's 80's and 90's . I want to see fights and I want to see hits and I want to see 50 goal scorers on every team. I want to see players without helmets!

I want to see Pat Burns strung up

I see your point on the lack of scoring. The Wild had the boringest team for a LONG time and not much better now.

I am not against a fight or two, but I am afraid that will be eliminated before too long.

I love a good body check, but we will have to keep the helmets..................sorry.

Make goalie equipment smaller, don't let the penalized team "ice" the puck. Olympic sized rinks would be a help too.

I want to see the 50 goal scorers as well.

The Wild had a very exciting player a few years ago Pierre-Marc Bouchard. Not a goal scorer, but a SUPERIOR skater, passer and puck handler. He got "gooned" out of the league. No one could do much to stop him, on the power play it was comical how the other team backed off of him when he had the puck. Pretty soon the big thugs on the opposing team started running him, and a few concussions later he was gone. I don't mean clean checks either.

The NHL has gotten a LOT bigger, however the big guys aren't as skilled as some of the smaller ones. It used to be your "enforcer" would keep the other team from going after the little guys, now that's going away.

There needs to be HUGE penalties and suspensions for targeting the little skill guys, especially if you are sending some big 4th line guy after him. Otherwise bring back the "enforcer" and let him take care of it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hockey is hardly unwatchable today. It's just different. And it's different because people want the return of the 80s when no one played any defense and goalies were terrible. Well, those days aren't coming back. The days of teams having their top players never come back on defense a la Mario and Gretzky are long gone. The days of unscreened 40-foot slapshots having a chance are long gone. The days of 4th line players who can't play at all but can fight are pretty much long gone.

The two major differences between now and, say, 1988, are the emphasis on defense and the quality of goaltending. It's not all gigantic pads - and that's been reduced significantly the last couple years anyway. Goalie equipment is lighter so guys are able to move more quickly. They're far more athletic than past goalies and they're also a LOT bigger. Allan Bester and Darren Pang ain't playing in today's NHL. Way more defense is played. And waaaaaaaay more guys block shots. The result is that it is far, far harder to get pucks into the net.

I, too, miss the high scoring days. A return to 1993 would be awesome. Personally, what I want is a bigger net. Widen the goal by a foot and make it 6" taller to offset the increase in athleticism and size in the modern goalie.

@Tabe said:
    Hockey is hardly unwatchable today. It's just different. And it's different because people want the return of the 80s when no one played any defense and goalies were terrible. Well, those days aren't coming back. The days of teams having their top players never come back on defense a la Mario and Gretzky are long gone. The days of unscreened 40-foot slapshots having a chance are long gone. The days of 4th line players who can't play at all but can fight are pretty much long gone.

The two major differences between now and, say, 1988, are the emphasis on defense and the quality of goaltending. It's not all gigantic pads - and that's been reduced significantly the last couple years anyway. Goalie equipment is lighter so guys are able to move more quickly. They're far more athletic than past goalies and they're also a LOT bigger. Allan Bester and Darren Pang ain't playing in today's NHL. Way more defense is played. And waaaaaaaay more guys block shots. The result is that it is far, far harder to get pucks into the net.

I, too, miss the high scoring days. A return to 1993 would be awesome. Personally, what I want is a bigger net. Widen the goal by a foot and make it 6" taller to offset the increase in athleticism and size in the modern goalie.

we agree to string up pat burns at least friggin neutral zone trap i'm laying it all on Pat

Look at the 1995 Cup Finals for what hurt the NHL. You had the Wings, still playing a high-flying offensive style and the Devils playing the trap. New Jersey's gameplan was to commit so many penalties the refs couldn't call them all. The refs did them one better - they called hardly any. Jersey got a sweep and everybody copied their style and the refs allowed it to work. And that was that.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 for Scoring and fighting

pat burns public enemy number one.

If you want to go back further public enemy number zero fred shero

@bronco2078 said:

Will never forget a playoff series between the North Stars and Flyers. Philly would clobber one of the N Star players and get a penalty, and then REALLY start gooning it up. Ref's refused to put 2 Flyers in the box and Minnesota was getting slashed and tripped all over the ice. Minnesota was unable to score much on power play.

Flyers won the series quite easily.

@1970s said:

@Tabe said:
    Look at the 1995 Cup Finals for what hurt the NHL. You had the Wings, still playing a high-flying offensive style and the Devils playing the trap. New Jersey's gameplan was to commit so many penalties the refs couldn't call them all. The refs did them one better - they called hardly any. Jersey got a sweep and everybody copied their style and the refs allowed it to work. And that was that.

Was that Devils team coached by Jacques Demairs ? If so, he learned it from Scotty Bowman, who introduced the trap in the Stanley Cup final when he coached St. Louis against Boston. Bowman did this to try to stop Bobby Orr.

Jacques Lemaire

m

bruins north stars bench clearing brawl in the playoffs , I think 1980 B) best 3 of 5 series when the playoffs were team 1 vs team 16 instead of by division

@1970s said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@bronco2078 said:

Will never forget a playoff series between the North Stars and Flyers. Philly would clobber one of the N Star players and get a penalty, and then REALLY start gooning it up. Ref's refused to put 2 Flyers in the box and Minnesota was getting slashed and tripped all over the ice. Minnesota was unable to score much on power play.

Flyers won the series quite easily.

Must have been back in the Steve Payne - Bobby Smith days. I do remember you guys having Willi Plett, but not sure which years you had him. North Stars never sold enough tickets back then. Looks like they're doing much better now. Wonder what made that change.

Willi was great

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Denis Potvin should be in the conversation on D besides Orr. Goalie is real close with a half dozen

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

A few years ago I was watching a show on HK greats. D Potvin was telling the story about one power play he was skating for 2 minutes trying to chase and catch Orr. He said he looked over at he bench and the entire team was laughing their ars off at him. He said," If bobby Orr didn't want you to catch him...you weren't catching him."

Also during the Canada cup he saw Orr in pain putting on his skates….yet he "was still the best player on he ice."

I should mention I didn't have Potvin on my list but he was one of the best ever.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

@jay0791 said:
    A few years ago I was watching a show on HK greats. D Potvin was telling the story about one power play he was skating for 2 minutes trying to chase and catch Orr. He said he looked over at he bench and the entire team was laughing their ars off at him. He said," If bobby Orr didn't want you to catch him...you weren't catching him."

Also during the Canada cup he saw Orr in pain putting on his skates….yet he "was still the best player on he ice."

I should mention I didn't have Potvin on my list but he was one of the best ever.

The islanders dynasty was so impressive. Obvious names ,like trottier and Bossy but what about Bob Nystrom , Clark Gillies , the 2 sutter brothers , guys like bourne , goring , tonelli ? That team was loaded with talent.

Gillies would beat terry o'rielly like he was carson wentz any time he felt like it :D

@1970s said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Denis Potvin should be in the conversation on D besides Orr. Goalie is real close with a half dozen

Denis Potvin. Ray Bourque. Lidstrom. All three give you the same thing. Good skaters, passers, and shooters. Just don't think they're as defensive as Robinson was. I saw Robinson give it to Dave Schultz once when Schultz was on the Flyers. He was just a monster of a force that no other D man could bring what he brought. Long reach, good skater, and physical. With Orr already on your team, he seems like the "coaches pick" to compliment Orr. Robinson and Howe would dig in the corners, and get the puck to Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux. On the power play, you'd put Gordie in front of the net, and I could see how you could put Robinson on the bench and put Potvin with Orr.

Denis once said that just like there are the Beatles and everyone else, there's Bobby Orr and
    everyone else.

Lidstrom was incredible defensively. He didn't hammer guys physically, he did it in other ways. Positioning, stick, anticipation, etc. Basically impossible to beat 1-on-1.

@Tabe said:

@1970s said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Denis Potvin. Ray Bourque. Lidstrom. All three give you the same thing. Good skaters, passers, and shooters. Just don't think they're as defensive as Robinson was. I saw Robinson give it to Dave Schultz once when Schultz was on the Flyers. He was just a monster of a force that no other D man could bring what he brought. Long reach, good skater, and physical. With Orr already on your team, he seems like the "coaches pick" to compliment Orr. Robinson and Howe would dig in the corners, and get the puck to Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux. On the power play, you'd put Gordie in front of the net, and I could see how you could put Robinson on the bench and put Potvin with Orr.

Denis once said that just like there are the Beatles and everyone else, there's Bobby Orr and
    everyone else.

Lidstrom was incredible defensively. He didn't hammer guys physically, he did it in other ways. Positioning, stick, anticipation, etc. Basically impossible to beat 1-on-1.

I saw him play in person 300+ times. I saw him make exactly 2 mistakes in that entire time . As you know in Detroit his nickname was ‘ “ The Perfect Human”. I got to know him and his family as my best friend teaches tennis to Mrs Perfect Human and the kids. I’ve flown with him a few times with the last one being the day after the Wings last Stanley Cup. So I’m a little biased but he was indeed incredible.

Lidstrom was the best defenseman in the league for a long long time. His first pass out of the zone was always the right pass. With him and Orr together my goodness ........

m

That's really cool. I love listening to his teammates talking about Nick - the tone they use is just total reverence.

I think if you're looking for a partner for Orr, you need a guy who will never be out of position since Orr will be out of position a lot. And that guy is Lidstrom.

edited February 10, 2019 10:51AM

@Tabe said:
    That's really cool. I love listening to his teammates talking about Nick - the tone they use is just total reverence.

I think if you're looking for a partner for Orr, you need a guy who will never be out of position since Orr will be out of position a lot. And that guy is Lidstrom.

I will tell you who doesn’t love him is Peter Forberg. He hated playing against Nick. I’m actually with Peter’s wife right now in Italy as I type . We do some business together besides being friends.

m

Peter and me. He is huge and thick. I’m 6’ 180 and he makes me look tiny. This pic taken a couple weeks before the Wings-Av’s reunion outdoor game. Both Forsberg and Yzerman scored in that game. The reunion game was amazing. Peter is a great dude. A dudes dude.

Funny story in this pic. We were at a Rangers- Av’s game at Madison Sq Garden. There is this older dude at the end of the row wearing a Forsberg jersey. He was oblivious that Peter was sitting a few seats away from him the entire game.

That's awesome. I'm sure Foppa hated playing against Nick, LOL. If a forward likes playing against one of your defensemen, that's a guy you need to trade :)

edited February 11, 2019 7:50AM

I had breakfast with Forsberg this morning. So I had the opportunity to talk hockey and not just business I asked him the following related to this thread. Put him down for this

1) best goalie he ever played against. Without hesitation he said Hasek. Brodeur was next out of his mouth followed by Belfour. Since he played with Roy so it precluded him from the discussion. He said Patrick was the best playoff goalie he has ever seen. He said he was stupid good at times. Gave the Av’s confidence on O.

2) best defenseman he ever played against. He answered Lidstrom without hesitation followed by Konstantinov. He said Vladimir was a block of granite and no one ever went around or through him. Called him sick.

I asked him who the thought were best players he saw as a kid and he said they didnt watch any NHL hockey in Sweden. So his perspective would be from 1994 on

Forsberg mentioned that there was only one time he ever wanted to murder somebody on the ice and that was Kirk Maltby. Said he would have if one of his Av’s teammates didn’t come off the bench to stop him. He also mentioned that Chris Chelios actually tried to maim him once by trying to gouge his eyes out . Good times

Peter and his wife Nicole

m

@1970s said:
    Orr played 657 games and was a plus 582, while averaging 1.4 points per game as a D man.
    Absolute dominance and totally sick.

Correct and while I’m in the minority I think he is the greatest player ever for 600 games

m

I hated Chelios I called him dirtface. Some guys have 5 oclock shadow Chris had 5 minute shadow not sure why but i found it annoying

edited February 12, 2019 8:00AM

I think it was mentioned already, but I remember reading about how Orr, near the end of his career, was nearly crippled, played in The Canada Cup (or some other All-Star tournament) and was hands down the best player on the ice.

I hated Chelios, but he was a great player. Could be a cheap shot sob though. Seem to remember him trying to gouge someones eyes out during a game.

@Justacommeman said:
    I had breakfast with Forsberg this morning. So I had the opportunity to talk hockey and not just business I asked him the following related to this thread. Put him down for this

1) best goalie he ever played against. Without hesitation he said Hasek. Brodeur was next out of his mouth followed by Belfour. Since he played with Roy so it precluded him from the discussion. He said Patrick was the best playoff goalie he has ever seen. He said he was stupid good at times. Gave the Av’s confidence on O.

2) best defenseman he ever played against. He answered Lidstrom without hesitation followed by Konstantinov. He said Vladimir was a block of granite and no one ever went around or through him. Called him sick.

I asked him who the thought were best players he saw as a kid and he said they didnt watch any NHL hockey in Sweden. So his perspective would be from 1994 on

Forsberg mentioned that there was only one time he ever wanted to murder somebody on the ice and that was Kirk Maltby. Said he would have if one of his Av’s teammates didn’t come off the bench to stop him. He also mentioned that Chris Chelios actually tried to maim him once by trying to gouge his eyes out . Good times

Peter and his wife Nicole

m

That's one BEAUTIFUL woman!

^SWEET!

Like them ALL. I still have a bunch of 1972 Topps hockey cards. No Orr though. :-(