Home Sports Talk

Super Bowl prediction thread.

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

First the World Series, now the Super Bowl.
No chance the Lakers and Celtics and Kings and Bruins can make it 4 for 4.

My prediction

Clam Chowder 38 Rodeo Drive 34

Comments

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Patriots 27, Rams 24

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm leaning towards the Rams right now but i have to think about it some more.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not make any predictions, I’m going to have butterflies in my stomach until the game has been decided though, that’s a sure thing.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Goff will have some butterflies and make a few mistakes. Pats will win.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wager is that I watch Gladys Knight sing the anthem and then turn it off.

Better things to do than support the crybaby league.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

I’m SO happy Gladys Knight is going to perform the anthem. That’s my lady

Call me at halftime as I’m not watching Maroon 5. I cant believe they are performing.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I’m pulling a Steve and going with reverse psychology.

Rams 31 Pats 30

Although I think this may actually happen for real

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

You are a real pip aint ya

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 2:09PM

Mark, I have a feeling Gladys Knight will split the uprights with the National Anthem, she has a lovely voice. as for the halftime show, I guess I'm getting old because I haven't heard of any of the Acts performing. since the Super Bowl is in Atlanta it would be fitting if the Pip's showed up and Gladys Knight cane out and sang "Midnight Train To Georgie" for a reprise. I think that would bring the house down!!

back to the game.....................Patriots over the Rams 27-14.
    --- Tom Brady wins the MVP and a few weeks later announces his retirement.
    --- whereupon Bill Belichick checks into the hospital with a nervous breakdown.
    --- Gronk slips away into the wilderness.
    --- Edelman signs with the Kansas City Chiefs.
    --- the Patriots lose the AFC East(for the first time that many can recall) with a 5-11 record.
    --- the Kraft family sells the Team and moves to Australia.
    --- PatriotsNation weeps and causes massive flooding along the Eastern Seaboard.
    --- perkdog and erikthredd announce that they are Twin Sons of Different Mothers, promptly morphing together with garnettstyle to wrap in an American Flag. they are last seen walking the streets of Tuscaloosa.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did he just diss my brother from another mother then call us 'Bama street walkers?? :)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patriots 24
    Saints 20

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict I won't watch a minute of the game.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the refs!

@LarkinCollector said:

your sacrifice is admirable :D

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

You are a real pip aint ya

That never dawned on me.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 8:05PM

I haven't followed the NFL for a long time, but I do watch the Superbowl for the game, commercials and a "fun day" I hope it is a good game. Hoping the the Oilers can make it one of these years...I've always liked their helmets and uniform colors!

@Hallco said:
    I haven't followed the NFL for a long time, but I do watch the Superbowl for the game, commercials and a "fun day" I hope it is a good game. Hoping the the Oilers can make it one of these years...I've always liked their helmets and uniform colors!

Oilers were fun to watch during the Bum and Earl Campbell era.

Right now I'm favoring the Rams.

I correctly predicted the Eagles win last year and one important reason I gave was that Brady being the age that he was, wouldn't have enough gas in the tank after a long season. Turns out that Brady had a pretty good game but he did run out of gas at the end there on that last series.

Brady initially looked fairly bad in the Chiefs game and up until the last series in the first half, had a measly 50.3 quarterback rating. Then he somehow turned it on like he often does.

Jared Goff is a young QB, and the media spotlight leading up to a Super Bowl, especially for a QB, can be daunting. However Goff playing in LA, is used to the LA media, the Hollywood glitz and all that jazz, and so i don't think the media onslaught up until the Super Bowl will bother him much at all.

A young Goff I think may trump an end of season tired Tom Brady. I'm not saying that Brady will have a bad game. He may very well have a good game. The question is will his 41 year old body be able to handle the rigors of this game, at a high enough level throughout the game, good enough to be able to defeat the Rams?

I'm leaning towards the Rams at this point.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want a NE win. And I predict a NE win. I preferred this matchup to the Saints.

Also - I was a bit surprised at how jubilant the Patriots team was over the win against the Chiefs. Both Belichick and Brady were ecstatically overjoyed at the win.

Now I don't blame them for being happy about it. But the Patriots, including Belichick and Brady, being ecstatically overjoyed at a conference final win considering their past history of magnificent success?

I could understand that sort of enthusiasm after a Super Bowl win. Did they forget that they have another game to play in two weeks and that in the overall scheme of things, of "winning isn't everything it's the only thing" as Lombardi stated, winning a conference championship is sort of meaningless.

Perhaps because of the doubters, which included me, they themselves may have thought that they possibly were too old to get to a Super Bowl again. But whatever it was, it seems like the Patriots could very possibly be a team ripe for the pickings by a Rams team that is much hungrier for a Super Bowl title and eager to win a championship for the city they recently returned to.

I'm picking the Rams.

Good luck to both teams. :)

why I think they were ecstatic, because they had just beaten a very good Team. the Chiefs shouldn't be overlooked for how they responded in the second half and how their defense played the last few weeks, much better than their season rank. I don't think the 4th quarter can be looked at as anything more than Offenses that were not going to be stopped --- by anyone. I thought the game was over three different times but the other Team responded.

I think the entire Patriots Team should have been ecstatic when they won the coin toss, that was the only thing about the game I didn't like. right before it I told my GF that whoever won the toss would win the game. to their credit, the Patriots made three big 3rd down conversions to keep that drive going and I think two of the passes were to Edelman. he is a fantastic receiver, has been for years

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimman is right on about the Refs. I Predict that the Rams will get shafted on a major make up call

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Go Browns!

all around collector of many fine things

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

your sacrifice is admirable :D

Spending the day at TPC Scottsdale is not a sacrifice.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

That's funny because I always skip the anthem and watch the game (can certainly do without the long halftime too).

So you're really going to tune in just to watch the National Anthem?

Daniel

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@Coinstartled said:

That's funny because I always skip the anthem and watch the game (can certainly do without the long halftime too).

So you're really going to tune in just to watch the National Anthem?

Sure, Gladys is not only the heir to to the Queen of Soul title, but to many like myself, the original.

If too many people are all doing the same thing, i like to be doing something else.

@Coinstartled said:

If too many people are all doing the same thing, i like to be doing something else.

Coinstartled , rebel without a cause , or maybe rebel with 200 causes

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭

The Patriots will Wim 36-14 and then we can get on to my favorite sports team the Red Sox.

That's funny because I always skip the anthem and watch the game

my Dad either changes the channel or hits the mute button for the Anthem, he says he's heard it enough times already. to be honest, I liked the old days when there were marching bands who played the Anthem and the crowd sang along with hats in hand over their Heart.

I think you need to attend a high School game to find that sentiment in today's World.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

As a Ram's fan I want them to win but I am not sure I would bet against the Pats here if I were a betting man.

Pats 27
    Rams 23

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/st-louis-nightmare-super-bowl-everybody-hates-rams-190624567.html

For St. Louis, this is a nightmare Super Bowl – 'Everybody hates the Rams'

Wow, there are fans out there even rougher than Belichick bashing Patriots fans? 🤣

@stevek said:
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/st-louis-nightmare-super-bowl-everybody-hates-rams-190624567.html

Wow, there are fans out there even rougher than Belichick bashing Patriots fans? 🤣

LA teams have no fans . You can probably fly from boston to LA and buy the Rams super bowl allotment at the ticket window for face value.

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

LA teams have no fans . You can probably fly from boston to LA and buy the Rams super bowl allotment at the ticket window for face value.

I don't disagree with ya on that one.

There are some good LA fans out there. But overall in my opinion, they are the worst fair weather fans of any major city.

We all know that Philly fans are the world's best sports fans. Then for distant second place, a blanket can be thrown over New York fans, Boston fans, Chicago fans, Washington fans, and a number of others.

edited January 23, 2019 11:19AM

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

There are some good LA fans out there. But overall in my opinion, they are the worst fair weather fans of any major city.

Its going to be 75 and sunny all week.

FWIW the LA area has multiple teams in all sports. It’s not like Philly where you have just the one. Fans are split up.

The Rams still average 72K a game and the Dodgers lead the MLB in attendence every year. Lakers fans are as passionate as any.

This just reminded me. LarryAllen73 hasn’t been around for awhile

For sure the fans here in total are not as passionate as Chicago, Philly, Detroit or St Louis but there is just so much more to do here 365 days a year. I never realized it until I physically moved here. The first time I surfed and skied in the same day I got it.

m

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a typical football game, I skip the anthem (if shown on TV), the commercials, halftime, any announcements after a flag is thrown, all the time when they are doing booth reviews, replays, team timeouts, etc. That's how I've seen all 10 post season games so far - there's just not enough free weekend time especially when there were 4 games per weekend. It just involves recording the game and starting it an hour or so late. I love me some DVR!

Daniel

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

FWIW the LA area has multiple teams in all sports. It’s not like Philly where you have just the one. Fans are split up.

The Rams still average 72K a game and the Dodgers lead the MLB in attendence every year. Lakers fans are as passionate as any.

For sure the fans here in total are not as passionate as Chicago, Philly, Detroit or St Louis but there is just so much more to do here 365 days a year. I never realized it until I physically moved here. The first time I surfed and skied in the same day I got it.

m

I think i mentioned this before in another thread. My uncle moved out there from Philly for business reasons around thirty years ago, around a half mile from the beach, and he calls it "Paradise" so I understand your feelings.

I actually visited the area back in the 80's. Did the whole Vegas, Hoover Dam, LA, SD, SF, Tijuana thing, and other tourist sites. Even had breakfast with the stars at the Friars Club. Lots of driving, and thoroughly enjoyed it. However after all that and visiting many other areas in the US over the years as well as Europe, I must say, there's no place like home. :)

Brady is way better than Goff will ever be! The Pats should roll over the Rams......that is unless the Ram's DB's are allowed to clobber the Pat's receivers helmet to helmet before the ball gets there!!

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

m

I think i mentioned this before in another thread. My uncle moved out there from Philly for business reasons around thirty years ago, around a half mile from the beach, and he calls it "Paradise" so I understand your feelings.

I actually visited the area back in the 80's. Did the whole Vegas, Hoover Dam, LA, SD, SF, Tijuana thing, and other tourist sites. Even had breakfast with the stars at the Friars Club. Lots of driving, and thoroughly enjoyed it. However after all that and visiting many other areas in the US over the years as well as Europe, I must say, there's no place like home. :)

Indeed. I’ve been lucky enough to 80 plus different countries and lived in several of them. So many magical places. I’ve also had the good fortune to travel to all 50 of our states. So many great places. Pound for pound the US can’t be beat BUT I encourage everyone to travel.

If you come to LA again I would love to spend a day with you. Yoga, hike, healhy food all before 10 and then we can watch football the rest of the day in the pool and drink ourselves into submission

Football at 10am. Paradise!

m

I know you will all faint to hear(or read) someone say it, but traveling around the World and the Country is what drove me back to Northeastern Ohio. I would live and eventually die nowhere else.

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

m

Indeed. I’ve been lucky enough to 80 plus different countries and lived in several of them. So many magical places. I’ve also had the good fortune to travel to all 50 of our states. So many great places. Pound for pound the US can’t be beat BUT I encourage everyone to travel.

If you come to LA again I would love to spend a day with you. Yoga, hike, healhy food all before 10 and then we can watch football the rest of the day in the pool and drink ourselves into submission

Football at 10am. Paradise!

m

I have an open invitation with the Uncle to come out for vacation and stay at his home anytime I wish. And him being fairly rich, my money would be no good. So one of these days I just may do that...and I'd enjoy your offer.

I'm like you a very healthy eater. Healthy food in my view is not a luxury, it's a necessity. However take a look at the below pic from a local restaurant that he frequents, the pic taken by my sister when she was out there. That is a corned beef sandwich that i would kill for. So I think i would have to go off my healthy diet while I'm out there just a little bit. :)

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate to say this, but I'll go Pats 27 Rams 20. Uggggg.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

if you come to LA again I would love to spend a day with you

we can watch football in the pool and drink ourselves into submission

Paradise!

m

https://www.jukinmedia.com/licensing/view/972260

@galaxy27 said:

@Justacommeman said:

if you come to LA again I would love to spend a day with you

we can watch football in the pool and drink ourselves into submission

Paradise!

m

https://www.jukinmedia.com/licensing/view/972260

Take your pick! The odds of a police report being taken or lodged is high

m

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

New England will win by 2 touchdowns and Brady will still play at least one more year

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

I'll weigh in here. When the Pats won their game, I figured they would be at least a 4 pt favorite in this game. The line I saw was Pats -1.5. Doesn' t seem right to me. A team with the head coach guru and GOAT QB against a team with virtually no experience in the big game. The one thing the Rams should be able to do to make like difficult for Brady is to put pressure right up the middle in his sightlines. Suh and Donald could be the difference in this game. They certainly had an effect on Brees, and might be able to get to Brady. Each team should be able to score points, so it could be a "last team with the ball wins" type of game. Gut feeling is that the Rams will win this game, and they shouldn't even be playing!
    And I'm an older guy here, but Maroon 5 is just an outstanding band! My kids turned me on to them and I will definitely be watching them at halftime.

edited January 24, 2019 1:48AM

@JRR300 said:
    I'll weigh in here. When the Pats won their game, I figured they would be at least a 4 pt favorite in this game. The line I saw was Pats -1.5. Doesn' t seem right to me. A team with the head coach guru and GOAT QB against a team with virtually no experience in the big game. The one thing the Rams should be able to do to make like difficult for Brady is to put pressure right up the middle in his sightlines. Suh and Donald could be the difference in this game. They certainly had an effect on Brees, and might be able to get to Brady. Each team should be able to score points, so it could be a "last team with the ball wins" type of game. Gut feeling is that the Rams will win this game, and they shouldn't even be playing!
    And I'm an older guy here, but Maroon 5 is just an outstanding band! My kids turned me on to them and I will definitely be watching them at halftime.

I had the game as a pick or the Patriots a very slight favorite. I would have thought around a 4 point favorite to the Patriots only if they had home field advantage, which of course there is no home field advantage in this game.

Anything could happen as we all know. A fumble or a pick can change the game one way or the other, and nobody can predict that. However if all things equal out, i agree with ya that the Rams should win this game.

But either way, Goff getting his first ring or Brady getting another one is fine by me. I'll enjoy watching the game for the great entertainment that it is. :)

I don't see how anyone can pick the Rams over the Pats......REALLY! Brady is the GOAT and Goff is a never was!

And like someone already said.....the Rams shouldn't even be there!!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

We'll see @DIMEMAN B) The dilemma for me since I love Brad as well as the LAR <3<3