Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canada 1964 Dime-very unusual Die rotation. Information and Help needed please.

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it technically possible for this rather large die rotation of approximately 240 degrees clockwise to be a mint error?
I assume that die rotation is usually measured applying clock-wise rotation starting at zero degrees on the obverse, vertical -Head up=zero.
Will TPG's recognize this rotation?
Does this coin command a premium on the market in raw condition or should it be certified?
thanks everyone.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    SPPSPP Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

PCGS will recognize the rotation, and even put the degree of rotation on the slab label, upon request. 1964 is an odd year, I have seen 5c with almost 180 degree rotation, and I once pulled a BU 1-cent out of a mint bag with 170 degree (almost coinage) rotation.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

A "heads up" display has the Obv 180 degree mark halfway between the "E" of Elizabeth and "A" of Regina.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2019 10:27AM

Syl, what do you mean with "heads up display"? 0/360 obv on top?

To clarify, I will take another regular dime and show them together obv/rev.
    will do this later today...when it gets to be dark. its too nice outside while you guys are freezing back east.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I mean that, when you show the Obverse, the bottom marker on the 2X2 should be halfway between the A in regina and the E in Lizzy. The one you showed first is already Obv rotated by your marks.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2019 1:13PM

Syl,
    thanks, your comments are great and helpful.
    much appreciated. I am taking new images and will post before going for a hike.

• Options

new and better details comparing another 1964 dime

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like about 115 degrees to me. They measure the shortest route.

thefinn