Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

True Currency 1863 Threepence in MS63

This is a great rarity in condition and NOT one of the usual Maundy specimens, which can come in either PL or satin formats....

Some of the currency 3ds are exceptionally rare; many that have been thought of or even slabbed as "Unc." are Maundy issues, with the common misconception that Maundy come only in Prooflike format; this is not true as there are Satin surface Maundy strikes and these have been slabbed as currency.

The collector is advised to consider this as many of the 1839-1848, 1852-4, 1855-63, and perhaps other dates that I have not seen are Maundy 3ds.
By the way, Steve Hill of Sovereign Rarities will support me in this, and have had many discussions with him previously.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Are there any diagnostics to differentiate the circulation issues vs. Maundy?

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the main difference is that Maundy issues are more clearly and sharply struck, esp. the obverse bust & things such as hair detail, dentil details and sharpness of field. The same goes for the reverse; the hard part is that you just have to look at them.
    Without offending the hosts, I have seen many misses that they have graded coins currency that are actually Maundy. Heritage and others have sold these at auction .

Really, really check the rare dates such as 1841, 1842, 1847, 1848, 1852, 1862 that are sold.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.