Home Sports Talk

Doug Baldwin.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would the reaction be like today if the reporter interviewing Doug Baldwin had said "You were playing like a savage out there tonight." ??

Al H.

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

A well constructed thread doesn't assume the reader has to google the title to have a clue what the post is about. :D

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

post-game interview, reporter asked him a question about his play and he said he gets prepared and then plays like a savage.

when I saw the interview I immediately thought of Howard Cosell saying "Look at that little monkey run" on MNF.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    post-game interview, reporter asked him a question about his play and he said he gets prepared and then plays like a savage.

when I saw the interview I immediately thought of Howard Cosell saying "Look at that little monkey run" on MNF.

That's not the same at all.

@keets said:

you mean if the reporter calls him a savage maybe Baldwin is offended , but Baldwin calls himself a savage its all good?

Its like when my old lady tells me I'm an amazing lover I just nod , If I tell her I'm an amazing lover she busts out laughing but then if her best friend says bronco is an amazing lover she gets mad for some reason.

logic would say all three statements are equivalent so people shouldn't care how or who says a thing

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

That's correct, it's "not the same at all" in the context of a monkey versus a savage in the style of football play. Monkey basically meaning fast and evasive whereby savage meaning tough and ruthless.

However both comments were the same in that neither was meant to be racially degrading in any way, shape, or form.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

neither were meant in a racial way but both can be inferred as such. much of it depends on who is speaking.

edited December 24, 2018 10:49AM

in this day and age I'm sure 3rd parties who have nothing to do with it will become offended on Doug's behalf and also offended at him . Give it time

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Its like when my old lady tells me I'm an amazing lover I just nod , If I tell her I'm an amazing lover she busts out laughing but then if her best friend says bronco is an amazing lover she gets mad for some reason.

logic would say all three statements are equivalent so people shouldn't care how or who says a thing

no one makes things intelligible quite the way you do bronc

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m just confused about who might get offended by using the word “Savage” 🤷‍♂️

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2018 11:07AM

The same can be said for Lebron calling out the "white NFL owners that have a slave mentality towards players" just a few days ago. Had a white owner used the term "slave mentality" in any reference towards the players that guy would get booted out of the NFL faster than you can say Donald Sterling.

@keets said:
    neither were meant in a racial way but both can be inferred as such. much of it depends on who is speaking.

And who is listening.

LeBron James recent despicable remarks were anti-Semitic and unequivocally intended to be just that.

The NBA has a real problem with this bigoted creep who of course is one of their biggest stars. The NBA better be very careful or they will have a situation on their hands, far worse than what happened in the NFL with the kneelers as far as losing fans and ratings.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i can see it now. everyone here sits in a circle. the first person starts out by whispering to the individual on his left that a reporter used the word "savage" in a postgame question to Doug Baldwin. around the horn it goes. it reaches the final person. "so, is the secret that bronco is thinking about changing his user to 'hedgehog69'?"

Merry Christmas everyone

@galaxy27 said:
    i can see it now. everyone here sits in a circle. the first person starts out by whispering to the individual on his left that a reporter used the word "savage" in a postgame question to Doug Baldwin. around the horn it goes. it reaches the final person. "so, is the secret that bronco is thinking about changing his user to 'hedgehog69'?"

Merry Christmas everyone

I don't fully recognize that player but I think he played football for the Texas Longhorns.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

That's correct, it's "not the same at all" in the context of a monkey versus a savage in the style of football play. Monkey basically meaning fast and evasive whereby savage meaning tough and ruthless.

However both comments were the same in that neither was meant to be racially degrading in any way, shape, or form.

By not the same......I meant one was racial and one was not.....to me. Who knows what was going through Cosell's mind when he said monkey, but I took that as racial as did the TV execs. But savage to me is not racial in the way it was used. But that is just me.

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

By not the same......I meant one was racial and one was not.....to me. Who knows what was going through Cosell's mind when he said monkey, but I took that as racial as did the TV execs. But savage to me is not racial in the way it was used. But that is just me.

Cosell was not a racist. Muhammad Ali went to his funeral, and Ali would have never attended a racist's funeral.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

Cosell was not a racist. Muhammad Ali went to his funeral, and Ali would have never attended a racist's funeral.

Ali went to Cosell's funeral because of what he did for boxing and Ali. I don't think Cosell was a racist either, but the slip of the tongue remark was taken as racist.

@galaxy27 said:

Merry Christmas everyone

People say I could be ron's twin. Not in his prime but now actually

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

Yes it is. Folks write too much into stuff that was said without malice.