Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a token from 1825?

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

The case looks like its from the 70's & I'm not having much luck in the search engine.

Best Answer

Answers

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. It’s one of many modern reproductions of the John Quincy Adams Indian Peace medal.

The mint has made numerous copies of these old designs in various sizes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI. US Mint has started these medals in silver this year. Washington and Adam is available at usmint.gov. They will run four Presidents starting in 2019 and onward.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Found this which in the description says issued circa 1960:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/coins_to_medals/37/product/1825_john_quincy_adams__us_mint_medal/310756/Default.aspx

Not finding much else that references anything other than 1825.

Edit: 1825 is the year of his presidency.

I figured as much but, I thought I better ask first...Thanks!!! It came with three different ones that attached to each other & I paid 15.00 for all three. Not sure where the other two are. I'll just hang on to them.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fun place to find neat items is a “junk box” for .50, $1, and so on up to $5 at a local coin shop. I watched this medal for a long time on eBay then happened to find one in the .50 cents box at my local shop

There were other medals and all sorts of interesting things for very low prices. A great resource for some basic prices is eBay buy it now search with lowest price first.
    Cool pick ups.

@Aspie_Rocco ...found mine at an antique place in Round Top, TX. If its cheap enough I will buy any coin I'm not familiar with, just in case.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, I see people paying stupid crazy money for these reissues because they don't do any research. Go figure. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Namvet69 said:
    Yup, I see people paying stupid crazy money for these reissues because they don't do any research. Go figure. Peace Roy

Yea, I suppose if I was a crook, I could post them on ebay for 3,000 a piece and probably find some person to buy. But, I'm not and learned a long time ago Karma's a bitch.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file