Home U.S. Coin Forum

Kisatchie error

Get graded and sell or just keep?

Comments

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what exactly you're asking.

"Get Graded' because it's a high grade piece?
    'Get Graded' because it's an error coin?

It would be helpful to know what you think
    is special, or worth grading/authenticating,
    about this quarter.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the gobbler variety.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spend it on a good coin book.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has a nice die chip. OK. Is the OP willing to spend $25 to slab a $5 (max) coin?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2018 10:37AM

Are you talking about that lump (die chip?) on his neck? Why would you have it graded?

It seems you are caught up in the hype that every minor die variety is worth something.

I keep oddball stuff all the time because it is interesting, but if you are looking for a financial return on this coin, put it in the bank or a mutual fund account.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

(I saw the die chip - but the question I asked
    was for the OP - we like to have them tell us
    what they see on the coin, instead of just saying
    'get graded & sell?' questions.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice die chips! And welcome!

It is not worth grading and in general is a low value error. But put it in a 2x2, keep it as a reference, and enjoy it as it is.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Are you talking about that lump (die chip?) on his neck? Why would you have it graded?

It seems you are caught up in the hype that every minor die variety is worth something.

I keep oddball stuff all the time because it is interesting, but if you are looking for a financial return on this coin, put it in the bank or a mutual fund account.

I don't think that's a die chip on his neck. I think that's the bird's wattle.

edited July 11, 2018 11:43AM

I see nothing...

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

I don't think that's a die chip on his neck. I think that's the bird's wattle.

I am sure you are right - so now I am even more lost about what the OP is talking about, :|

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I see nothing...

I'm getting a little sick of you dropping the "disagree" on members around here EITHER because you SEE NOTHING, feel slighted, or as you posted in a reply to me in another discussion: I disagreed just because you disagreed with me. STRICTLY RETALIATORY. I added a couple more, also strictly retaliatory.

I disagreed with your post because of the uninformed nonsense you posted. Your post should have been disagreed with by many others besides me. I also had the knowledge/experience (which you considered to be arrogance) to post the reason for my disagreement with what you posted.

I'll do the same here in this discussion. There is a "naked-eye," very obvious die chip on the OP's coin. Open up the images you posted to refute the OP's opinion. Then you might wish to remove your disagreement as it looks silly for at least one poster in this discussion.

I'm reminded that all of us posting on CU are equals until we post something that reveals we may not be! :)

edited July 11, 2018 12:07PM

LOOK AT THE BASE OF THE TOP OF THE NECK where the wing starts!!!! Nice catch OP!

IMO, not worth having graded UNLESS the TPGS will put your name and "Discovery Coin" on the label. :)

I've got a Harper's Ferry quarter with a tiny die chip on the rain spout. It looks like a little mouse climbing it. Someone else discovered these and I looked for one for myself. I've got an image somewhere.

Found it! The "Rat up the Spout" variety:

edited July 11, 2018 12:52PM

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I see nothing...

I'm getting a little sick of you dropping the "disagree" on members around here EITHER because you SEE NOTHING, feel slighted, or as you posted

What are you talking about? I didn't disagree with anyone on this thread.

@Insider2 said:
    LOOK AT THE BASE OF THE TOP OF THE NECK where the wing starts!!!! Nice catch OP!

IMO, not worth having graded UNLESS the TPGS will put your name and "Discovery Coin" on the label. :)

I've got a Harper's Ferry quarter with a tiny die chip on the rain spout. It looks like a little mouse climbing it. Someone else discovered these and I looked for one for myself. I've got an image somewhere.

I did not see the wing chip. I was mostly concerned with pointing out that the wattle is wattle. If anyone meant the shoulder/wing chip, my apologies for doubting you.

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I see nothing...

I disagreed with your post because of the uninformed nonsense you posted. Your post should have been disagreed with by many others besides me. I also had the knowledge/experience (which you considered to be arrogance) to post the reason for my disagreement with what you posted.

IT WAS A JOKE! A joke that you still don't get. And now you are rehashing a different thread on this thread based on some kind of faulty premise that I disagreed with someone. I mean, I didn't agree, but I didn't hit that magic "disagree" button.

I miss 4T's. Only he truly understood me.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the flying turkey.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2018 3:07PM

Houston, we have liftoff.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool die chip.
    I would keep it just for giggles.
    Nice eye to pick that one up.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, send it in.
    Post to eBay
    Value?
    Priceless

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die chip, a good coin to keep as a reference/educational tool... Not worth slabbing. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file