Comments

  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Unreal. I think those guesstimates are low, too.

    Are you going to follow-up on the SP Jeter? I'd be very interested in hearing what all the parties involved have to say. Thanks, as always, for sharing the articles.

    Arthur

  • CooptownCooptown Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

    Great article, but I think the estimate seems low as well.

  • RipkenRipken Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

    The Mantle cards have been graded--make way for another million dollar card in the hobby: https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/the-cards-this-guys-mom-didnt-throw-away-are-worth-over-1-million/

  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭

    8.5. Oh...my...God!

    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭

    Holy crap what a find!!! That 8.5 is jaw dropping.

  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

    Amazing find and beautiful cards!

    mintonlypls
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hell, that 5 is jaw dropping.

    Arthur

  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭

    great stuff. very cool

    Fred

    collecting RAW topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, i'll take it, i want to finish sets, i must have something you can use for trade.

    looking for topps 71-72 hi's-69-62-53-54-55-56-57, i have these sets started

  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

    This whole story is jaw dropping and almost unbelievable. What will the find be called?

    mintonlypls
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭✭

    @mintonlypls said:
    This whole story is jaw dropping and almost unbelievable. What will the find be called?

    "Cards Your Mom Didn't Throw Out"

  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

    "Mama's Micks"

    mintonlypls
  • mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭

    "The Matriarch Find"

  • ScottAScottA Posts: 26

    The owner of these cards is obviously a time traveler. I'm not buying this "I didn't realize how valuable they were" story for a minute. He has obviously figured out a way to travel back to 1952 where he purchased these cards from some unsuspecting kids and then brought them back.

    The question is, how many times can he get away with this before people catch on?

  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭

    @ScottA said:
    The owner of these cards is obviously a time traveler. I'm not buying this "I didn't realize how valuable they were" story for a minute. He has obviously figured out a way to travel back to 1952 where he purchased these cards from some unsuspecting kids and then brought them back.

    That's silly. Why would he buy the cards from unsuspecting kids when he could simply walk into any 5-and-Dime store and buy as many as he wanted. Or maybe you're implying that time travel makes us forget how to buy retail. Okay, that makes sense.

  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭

    @bobsbbcards said:

    @ScottA said:
    The owner of these cards is obviously a time traveler. I'm not buying this "I didn't realize how valuable they were" story for a minute. He has obviously figured out a way to travel back to 1952 where he purchased these cards from some unsuspecting kids and then brought them back.

    That's silly. Why would he buy the cards from unsuspecting kids when he could simply walk into any 5-and-Dime store and buy as many as he wanted. Or maybe you're implying that time travel makes us forget how to buy retail. Okay, that makes sense.

    If you paid for them with currency minted after 1952, would the cards disappear?

  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭

    @mb2005 said:
    "The Matriarch Find"

    Did Jenny pass?

    Kevin

  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What is this? Amateur hour?

    Metal can't travel back in time. So what's he going to do? Go back in time, establish an ID and get a job so he can make money to buy the packs in the store? Duh. He's going to find the little bastards that just got some packs and then trade nudey magazine pictures that he brought back with him for the Mantles. If I've seen it once, I've seen it a thousand times.

    Arthur

  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

    @ReggieCleveland said:
    What is this? Amateur hour?

    Metal can't travel back in time. So what's he going to do? Go back in time, establish an ID and get a job so he can make money to buy the packs in the store? Duh. He's going to find the little bastards that just got some packs and then trade nudey magazine pictures that he brought back with him for the Mantles. If I've seen it once, I've seen it a thousand times.

    Arthur

    Sounds like you just told us why you don't have many high grade Mantles yourself! At least why you don't have them anymore! Haha!

Sign In or Register to comment.