Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Some pics from my NYINC 2018 newps

Learned some more useful features of Photoshop, including how to use the Quick Selection tool more effectively. Got a new point-and-shoot camera (Ricoh/Pentax WG-50; Amazon has a great package deal!) with better macro features, and actually read the manual and played with white balance and other functions. Played with different lamp positions, using white daylight bulbs. After much effort and shooting and re-shooting many coins, I finally got two that seems ok. Of course, these are both raw. Baby steps.

Feedback appreciated, but of course I know that you do not have the coins in hand for comparison...

GREAT BRITAIN, Commonwealth.

1649-1660. AR Crown (42mm, 29.86g, 2h). Tower (London) mint; im: sun. Dated 1656/4. • (sun) • THE • COMMONWEALTH • OF • ENGLAND, coat-of-arms within wreath / GOD • WITH • VS • 165(small 6 over 4) ·, two coats-of-arms; •V• (denomination) above. ESC 9; North 2721; SCBC 3214. EF, lustrous and lightly toned.

Ex CNG/Nomos Winter 2018 CNR, lot 476831.

[This coin was surprisingly difficult for me to shoot. I had a very difficult time getting the color to be ok; the coin itself has satiny luster with pale champagne patina.]

ITALY, Sicilia (Regno). Carlo IV d’Asburgo.

1720-1734. AR Oncia da 30 Tarí (53mm, 73.69g, 6h). Palermo mint. Simone Maurigi, mint master. Dated 1732. CAROL • III • D • G • SICIL • ET • HIER • REX •, Laureate head right, C.P. below / OBLITA • EX • AVRO • ARGENTEA • RESVRGIT •, Sun above phoenix rising from flame, date. Spahr 53; MIR 515; Davenport 1413. EF, toned. Reverse adjustment marks. Rare.

Ex Matteo Cavedoni (MCN) inventory.
Ex Numismatica Fiorentina inventory.
Ex HA 2017-Long Beach (#3057), lot 31159, unsold.

Charles was also Charles III, Archduke of Austria, Charles VI, HRE, and Charles II, King of Bohemia.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a newp, but is a new picture (previously imaged by Todd when it was in an extra-thick PCGS slab, since liberated and imaged au naturel by me with my new camera):

ITALY, Venezia. Pietro Grimani.

1741-1752. AR Scudo da 140 soldi della croce (44mm, 31.30g, 8h). Francesco Pasqualigo, mint master. Undated, struck 1741. * SANCTVS * MARCVS * VENET *; nimbate facing half-length Lion of San Marco, forepaw supporting open Gospel, within shield frame; value in exergue, flanked by rosettes / PETRVS • GRIMANI • DVX • VENETIAR; ornate cross fleurée with central rosette; pellet at end of each bar; leaf in each quarter; mintmaster initials (FP) and 3 rosettes in exergue. CNI VIII 7; Papadopoli 15; Paolucci 12; Davenport 1544. EF, lustrous and toned.

Ex CNG Triton XVII, lot 1329.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cromwell piece is the bomb.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:
    The Cromwell piece is the bomb.

Which? I haven’t posted a suitable picture of my Cromwell yet in this thread. If you mean the (non-Cromwell) Commonwealth Crown, thanks but I’m still not happy about my picture. I need to go to Home Depot soon to exchange two short-neck lamps with long-neck ones.

Huh. Who was the head of government when the English piece was minted?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    edited March 5, 2018 9:41PM

@Weiss said:
    Huh. Who was the head of government when the English piece was minted?

For collectors of British coinage, a Cromwell coin generally has his name and/or bust on it, as this piece has:

Commonwealth issues of that period without Cromwell’s name, title or bust are usually not referred to as a “Cromwell” coin.

So Cromwell was the head of state and head of government.
    Gotcha.

--Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:
    So Cromwell was the head of state and head of government.
    Gotcha.

Troll.

Ouch. Compliment a guy on a great piece, get "corrected", then called a troll. So much for the civility of the darkside.

--Severian the Lame
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2018 7:27AM

I thought he was being tongue-in-cheek... we know you aren't a troll!

I wish we had a 'humor' font..emojis are insufficient.

Well this thread got derailed quickly. The humor was not evident to me. Seemed unnecessarily argumentative. And I didn’t correct him in a lecturing manner. Rather, I was simply saying that numismatic nomenclature gives us collectors some degree on expectation. Doesn’t mean that @Weiss is wrong on the history.

And for the record, that is the very first time I’ve seen anyone refer to my Commonwealth-without-bust-of-Cromwell Crown as a “Cromwell” coin — hence my confusion.

EVP