Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Can you help me identify this 1783 restrike?

I picked this up over the weekend just because it was pretty. I can't seem to find this exact coin online for reference.
All I really know is it's a proof restrike of a 1783 German Taler. It is marked 999 on the obverse and has a reeded edge.
It came in a flip close plastic white box lined with blue velvet. Inside the lid is written this...
Thanks in advance...
photo IMG_6345.jpg
photo IMG_6346.jpg
photo IMG_6347.jpg

Comments

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2018 7:01AM

Presumably the "FRIB URG" that falls between 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock on the side with the date means 'Friburg'. The question might be Switzerland or Germany? A review of the relevant Standard Catalog of World Coins says this is from the City of Freiburg Im Breisgau, which is in the German State of Baden (Southern Germany, east of Bavaria). Indeed, the modern box says 'Baden Bank' or 'Bank of Baden'.

Stylistically, the modern copy is noticeably nicer than the original. The SCWC suggests that an original coin in this condition would be a $5000 coin, maybe more. A spate of such German coin reproductions were made from approximately 1965 to 1985. If your piece were offered on eBay, I suppose the asking price might be $200 - but it might be up for a very long time before it sells.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

P.S. You can own the five book set of the Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601 to date, for as little as $160 new. Detailed information covering more than four hundred years for peanuts. Those books work better than on-line searching, IMHO.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Bill. I appreciate you taking the time. It was an impulsive purchase at an antique show over the weekend, not even close to my collecting focus... I'm mainly U.S. type coins. I do have a Standard world catalog book for the 1800's up to 1900 I believe but not the entire series. I just wouldn't use them enough to justify buying them.
    I'm still looking.
    A friend of mine mentions that the Badische bank ceases to exist under that name in 1978 so this piece would pre-date that I suppose.