Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Possible ptomely coin

Hello fellow collectors I’m new to the collecting world and ran across this coin that I can not find online anywhere. If anyone has any information on it that would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 2:07AM

This piece is trying to look like a shekel of ancient Tyre (Phoenicia) but I have some doubts.

Need somebody with a lot more knowledge than me to weigh in.

There are lots of reproductions of this particular coin because it is traditionally the coin that Judas received 30 pieces of for betraying Christ.

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    This piece is trying to look like a shekel of ancient Tyre (Phoenicia) but I have some doubts.

Need somebody with a lot more knowledge than me to weigh in.

There are lots of reproductions of this particular coin because it is traditionally the coin that Judas received 30 pieces of for betraying Christ.

Agreed. The fabric is very modern looking, with a perfectly centered, round flan, and flat fields. The style of the obverse is a little odd looking, too.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is way too perfect and round (and even with an upset rim) and 19th/20th-century-looking to be a genuine contemporary piece.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Rwwilliams.
    Coin is Ancient Greece Ptolemaic Kingdom Tetradracm with Eagle 305BC to 30BC. I can identify the coin but not the authenticity. If real, a great find. A beautiful 2000 year old + coin. Again if real I think it belongs in a museum.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2018 11:27AM

@bobsr said:
    Hi Rwwilliams.
    Coin is Ancient Greece Ptolemaic Kingdom Tetradracm with Eagle 305BC to 30BC. I can identify the coin but not the authenticity. If real, a great find. A beautiful 2000 year old + coin. Again if real I think it belongs in a museum.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

No, not at all. It is a shekel of Tyre, or an imitation of the same (likely).

The portrait of Baal (Melqart) is quite a bit different than the portraits of the Ptolomeys.

The eagle is more similar, but the inscriptions are very different.

The shekel of Tyre continued to be minted at the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem (for religious and financial and political reasons) long after both Egypt and Tyre had been absorbed into the Roman Empire. The shekel of Tyre was minted for nearly a century after the last independent Egyptian coins were uttered.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_shekel

You can very clearly see the difference using Google images too.