Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help identifying Taiwan Coin

Here are images of the what I believe is a Taiwan silver coin but the reverse has me stumped. Any help identifying is appreciated. It is just slightly larger than a US dime.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 9:05AM

Republic of China, 5 cents, dated between 1936-1941. Pretty common. Nickel composition per SCWC.

There are similar but larger 10 and 20 cent coins too.

You are probably just not going back far enough, it is before the Nationalists lost to the Communists.

Clearly listed in Krause/SCWC. Reverse depicts Chinese spade money, of course.

• WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks - appreciate the help.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018 7:22PM

The obverse says, from right to left across the top: Republic of China Year 25, which is 1936. As such, it is not a “Taiwan” coin because the victory of the communists hadn’t yet happened.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

I have long found it odd that these coins have images of coins on them. How many such coins are there in the world? How many coins have images of coins? It's kinda meta, no?

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

It can't technically be a "Taiwan coin", because in 1936, Taiwan was still a colony of Japan.

As for "coins on coins", it is, as you can imagine, a popular theme for coin collectors. There are many, even today; for example, the current Greek 2 euro coin has an Athens "owl" tetradrachm on it, which dates from about the same time period as that Chinese spade-coin.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)