Home Q & A Forum
Options

Where the 1925 Norse-American Centennial 1825-1925 medal fit in Numismatics? It's not in a book!

1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

I find it strange that the 1925 Norse-American Centennial 1825-1925 medal is not represented in either "National Commemorative Medals of the U.S. Mint" or "So-Called Dollars" by Hibler & Kappen which includes in Part II, Section A, 1925 HK-673, Norse American Centennial uniface medal yet shuns a Medal from the US Mint.
Why is this medal omitted from Coin, medal and So-called Dollar books?

"The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked" - Anon Army Drill Sergeant

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 11:29PM

@1patwick said:
    I find it strange that the 1925 Norse-American Centennial 1825-1925 medal is not represented in either "National Commemorative Medals of the U.S. Mint" or "So-Called Dollars" by Hibler & Kappen which includes in Part II, Section A, 1925 HK-673, Norse American Centennial uniface medal yet shuns a Medal from the US Mint.
    Why is this medal omitted from Coin, medal and So-called Dollar books?

That's a good question!

Since they were struck by the Philadelphia Mint by an Act of Congress, it seems they should be listed in the medals book.

As for for being considered a SCD, HK has an event for the 1925 Norse-American Centennial in St. Paul / Minneapolis, Minnesota which lists HK-673, but they may not qualify under the diameter rules.

Event : http://so-calleddollars.com/Events/Norse_American_Centennial.html

HK sets diameter requirements for SCDs at 33mm-45mm. The following diameters are from Wikipedia. While HK has some exceptions to their diameter rule, these aren't included yet.

• Gold: 24 mm
    • Silver: 29 mm
    • Bronze: 69.5 mm

There's some great information on the Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse-American_medal

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 12:13AM

I wrote a response that I felt was correct, but when I went to my Library to double check it, it seems that I can't. Severe case of a false memory, it seems.

• Options
    1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

I goofed and mis tagged SCD's. This should have been tagged Medals and US Mint Medals.