Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which macro lens for Canon cameras?

FadeToBlackFadeToBlack Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more I look at macro shots taken with my old Tamron 90mm lens, the more I wish I'd never bought my Canon 100mm. I'm considering switching back, but wanted to know what kind of lenses other photography hobbyists use before making the jump. I'm aware of bellows based systems, but I don't really want to deal with that right now, I don't have the time to learn an entirely new method of imaging coins. Maybe someday...

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2017 10:57AM

I like the Cannon 100mm Macro lens, and use it professionally. I also have the Canon 50mm Macro, Canon 65mm Macro, and extension tubes. Most of the time I use the 100mm unless its a group shot then the 50mm. For extreme close-ups I use the 65mm.

I only use full frame prime lenses and all are Canon except my Zeiss 15mm super wide angle lens which is far superior to the Canon equivalent.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Canon 100mm and I love it. It was pricey (around $750 if I remember correctly). I also use a Canon 2x tele-extender with it, so I can get the camera up higher.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

What kind of lighting do you use?
    Get a 150mm lens sigma macro 1:1

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Canon lens are great lens.... I used Them on my AE-1 when I did some nature photography years ago. Cheers, RickO

• FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

For lighting when I take my coin photos I used the LongStar Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb you can get them at elightbulbs for around $ 9.50 each. Carl

Collector
  • PandavabPandavab Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

I use the Canon 100mm Macro lens for all my photos. I love it.

I haven't seen any of your photos (or at least, I don't recall seeing any off hand), but I would suspect something else to be a much more likely issue than the lens. While there likely are better possible lens options out there, they should provide such a minor benefit to not really be very noticeable.

Proper lighting and setup (e.g., camera settings, a sturdy tripod or copy stand, etc.), and using something like Live View is going to be much more effective than a potential minor increase from switching between various high quality lenses.

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure which version of the Tamron 90mm you are using, but based on reputation, the current version is well respected (probably at least as good as the Canon 100m non-L). Are you seeing softness or what problem are you seeing?

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:

@Davideo said:
    I'm not sure which version of the Tamron 90mm you are using, but based on reputation, the current version is well respected (probably at least as good as the Canon 100m non-L). Are you seeing softness or what problem are you seeing?

I used to use a 90mm Tamron. I sold it for a 100mm Canon.

I got a new way of diffusing light in today, gonna give it a shot and see what happens later on. Hoping for a big improvement.

let me know how it goes im looking for a proper light setup, in my office i only have fluorescent junk light, I use the canon t5 & t6 with manual settings with the standard 18-55 lens, but proper lighting is still a problem

all around collector of many fine things

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a thread I put together back in 2013 about my own journey through coin photography. I would say a good macro lens is essential, but only one part of a big math equation with many variables. I use a 100mm Canon macro lens which has always done very nicely for me.

forums.collectors.com/discussion/881486

I love what a good macro can do:

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

That helps, as i am mainly trying to improve lighting, I dont mind the stock lens, it does the trick, altho I am in the market for a couple good macros ( both my brother and I shoot everything hes got the T6 I have the T5 Rebel EOS) probably beaking for the 100mm. What did you pay for your 100mm?

all around collector of many fine things

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought mine new. The price is pretty consistent for a given lens across various vendors.

You can overcome an unstable platform, less-than-ideal lighting, or an older camera body, but NOTHING can overcome the limitations of a cheap lens.

• NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Try to get a 1:1 or better reproduction ratio. This will give a good picture even when you crop them.

I went through phases of improving my coin photography and mastering every little detail. I practiced taking 100s of photos with various conditions and details and that experience counts in creating cool images.

For the trained eyes, every little detail on the coin matters.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2017 8:48PM

Nikon (Nikkor) makes great macro (micro) lenses. I am not sure how well they work with a Canon body as I am more familiar with Nikons.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file