Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Flipping

We had the famous non flipping coin in the NFL over time game and now we have the coin flipping for delegates in Iowa. I wonder if they used an Iowa state quarter or and Iowa Commem image

Any other unusual coin flips that come to mind?

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they used the new platinum one ounce that sold out in ten minutes image
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    the "Portland Penny" that helped to name Portland Oregon

www.brunkauctions.com

• zippcityzippcity Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED. Sadly , the coin toss Feb. 3rd 1959 in Clear lake Iowa. RIP, Buddy Holley, Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson ( The Big Booper).
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supposedly there was a coin toss between a couple of horse breeders to determine ownership of two thoroughbred horses that were still in utero. One guy won the toss and picked the first horse to be born, a female infant horse for his farm. The guy who lost the toss was given the second horse, which was a male that had not been born yet.

That second horse was named Secretariat.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In high school I remember having our coach and opposing teams coach having to flip coins to decide who would advance to the state playoffs. It was in the rules as a tiebreaker. I loaned the coach a silver dollar for the flip, which we won.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nap... is there any basis of truth in that story? I am a fan of Secretariat and tend to collect

stories about him.... Cheers, RickO
  • TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Nap... is there any basis of truth in that story? I am a fan of Secretariat and tend to collect

I remember that being a scene in the movie Secretariat, so it must be true right?
  • TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of coin tosses, Business week has a very interesting article on the dark side of the maker of the Super bowl coin-toss token. I actually knew this story was coming because the reporter called me since I had sued the subject of his article, Micheal Kott.

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-super-bowl-coin-toss/
  • zippcityzippcity Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

Here you go RickO.

The real story behind Secretariat starts in 1969, 4-years before the horse galloped it's way to the Triple Crown. Penny Chenery of Meadow Stable and Ogden Phipps of Wheatley Stable flipped a coin for first pick of two foals sired by prominent racehorse Bold Ruler. Phipps won and picked a philly born from Bold Ruler and a mare named Hasty Matelda. That left Chenery with the yet-unborn foal of Bold Ruler and Something Royal- a colt that would be named Secretariat at 2 years old, win the Triple Crown and at 3, and have a heart nearly 4-times the size of a normal horse. Secretariat's performance at the Belmont Stakes ranks 2nd on the list of top 100 greatest individual performances ever, with only Wilt Chamberlain hitting the century mark surpassing it.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file