Home U.S. Coin Forum

Asked and answered - But now with a new question - What Woulkd YOU Do?

I bought a coin on eBay and when I received it, there was sticker residue glue on the obverse obscuring the label.

The seller’s picture did not show it, so he put some sticker on it after he took his picture. And it was more than sticker residue, it was more of a thick blob of glue.

I really liked the coin, but I wasn't happy with him but so I didn't leave any FB

So I got around to dealing with it last night and tried to remove it with GooGone, but it didn't work and smeared it around.

Then I brought out the GoofOff. This smeared the glue and also seem to start eating into the PCGS slab.
So I tried getting all the chemicals off and then I couldn't read the label at all.

I called PCGS and said I want to get it reholdered and a TrueView and as long as PCGS has the coin, I'd like to see if I can get a grade up.

She said that is what a Regrade is for.

I sent the coin in Friday but I didn't see anywhere on the form where I could specify a minimum grade, so I just noted it in the comments Minimum grade VF35.

It's a $700 price drop to VF30 so I want to make sure it stays at 35 or goes above.

My original question in this thread was:

Is this the case or do I need to call PCGS and just do a reholder? which was answered.

With S/H and fees, this sticker removal costs me $89.50 plus $29 to ship it ($118.50) image

Y'all started asking questions, so I'll ask you what you would do?

The picture on the left is the sellers picture and the one on the right is mine when I got it, along with a close picture for the label as I received it.

The seller added the glue residue after he took his picture and then sent it to me.
I like the coin and won't return it, but what would you do about the seller if this happened to you?

I learned NEVER use GoofOff on slabs. It eats and melts the PCGS plastic.

The hazardous chemicals used :

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    PCGS guarantees that a coin will not downgrade. That's not to say it's not possible, but if it does (which is extremely rare), then the grade guarantee would kick in and you would be compensated accordingly.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Paul.
    Now I can take this off my things to worry about list. image
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I think the $ amount is crazy. Add that to your $700 drop.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sticker is on the obverse plastic right? I'd try a stronger solvent before dropping $100 on a re-holder.
    I did (GoofOff) and it was too strong and made the plastic cloudy, so it went from bad to really bad.

So since I was the one who ruined it, it became a $100 mistake. imageimage

I mailed it Friday night and it's already at PCGS

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time

Arrived at Unit NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658 November 14, 2015 6:09 am

Arrived at USPS Facility SANTA ANA, CA 92799 November 14, 2015 2:18 am

Arrived at USPS Facility SAN DIEGO, CA 92199 November 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Departed Post Office November 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Acceptance November 13, 2015 4:50 pm

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the coin?

I probably would have just cracked it out and enjoyed raw until the time to sell.

Have done so many many times.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That must have been some tough adhesive... Cheers, RickO
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any residue or "schmutz" from plastic. For me, it works well even on softer plastic like cellophane.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had some success with mineral oil and then rubbing the glue off, it tends to form little balls rather than smearing around.
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You needed to be patient. Allow those products to work. Attempting what you did too quickly will lead to disastrous results, as you discovered.

And why in all that is holy did you pay over $100. simply to have a coin re-holdered?

Sounds like one knuckle headed move after another with you these days.
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes use goof off to remove sticker residue, but it has in the past etched the plastic. I bought a Merc dime in a rattler once that was so bad you could barely see the coin. I went to Kragen auto parts and bought a plastic headlight polishing kit. Worked like a dream. Now, if there is reside, i will usually use strong tape to pull the bulk up, and then use the rubbing compound from the headlight kit on a soft rag to remove the residue. The polishing compound seems to have enough solvent in it to remove some glue, but the added benefit of removing small scratches.

P.S. I bought the polishing kit with the arbor for putting in a drill, but do all of the sanding and polishing by hand to avoid burning the plastic.

Oh in the poll I said don't contact seller, pay the fee. Even though it is his fault for leaving the residue, it quite possibly could have been removed with no damage to the slab.
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could have contacted the seller for compensation and rated him according to his help but since you tried removing it yourself I would say you own the slab goo and all.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You used Goof Off on plastic?

I had once made a comment that Goof Off would take the grain out of wood. I'm not sure I'd use it on any plastic material... (Stuff does work great, though...)
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the high reholder cost. Please explain. I thought this about $5-$10.

Since you sent it in for reholdering it seems to be out of his hands. However, I would let him know I was unhappy with the condidtion of the holder, point out my costs of reholder, and then ask him what can he do to rectify situation. I did this on a chipped slab stacking rim coin I paid $36 for and they refunded $20. I would be furious to pay that much for a coin and have it come holder damaged. What a goofball seller.....If he did not give me an adjustment to rectify the situation I would neg him..

I would not do a regrade if risks downgrade. I would simply wnat it reholdered at $10?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Do NOT put acetone on plastic!
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Minor holder damage and glue residue are a fact of life. The holders are there to protect the coin. The seller is in no way responsible, especially since you put acetone on the holder. I would never ask a seller to pay for a reholder based on minor slab damage or sticker residue.

If the holder was cracked to a degree where the holder was compromised or otherwise severely damaged (i.e. melted or acetoned) then I could understand asking for the coin to be reholdered before purchasing it.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin from what's shown, would like to see better pics and the reverse.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like blaming the waitress when the chef cooked it
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
    Originally posted by: Baley
    Very nice coin from what's shown, would like to see better pics and the reverse.

Me too, so I added TrueView

I'll post them when I get them.

For those who don't understand the cost of the "reholder", it is because as I explained I sent it in as a Regrade submission and added TrueView.
    It actually should have cost more, since I under insured it. If it grades as a 40, then I'll call and get more insurance for the return trip.

Coin Type: U.S. Coins

Submission Type: Regrade

Service Level: Regular 15 days $3,000.00 Max Value Per Coin

Service Level Fee: 1 coins(s) X $32.00 $32.00

TrueView Imaging: 1 coins(s) X $10.00 $10.00

Handling Fee: $10.00

USPS: $28.95

Packaging Fee: $0.00

Estimated Premium Fee: $0.00

Estimated Total Charges: $80.95

Plus the cost of registered mail to PCGS. $100 is a lot of coin money, but I guess it is just in the noise.

I don't know what the seller did to it after he took his picture. It is not normal sticker residue, but a thick strip of glue.
    And why he put it across the obverse label I have no clue.

Had he delivered it as pictured, he would have received positive FB.

I'll send him a message and ask what he did.
    At least he'll be aware and hopefully not do it again.

I'd now blame the post office.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess that residue was almost certainly caused by Heritage. For the last year or so, they've changed how they sticker their slabbed coins for auctions and it now involves very sticky tape that goes over the top of the slab and is applied to the obverse label area right where the residue shows on your piece. Sometimes the stickers come right off w/o residue, but more often than not, some residue remains and it can be some work to remove.

It's possible the residue just didn't show in the photos... I'd guess you'd find it in a recent Heritage auction though if you took a look.

Edited to add, that in about a minute I found this exact coin in the September 2015 Long Beach sale in the Heritage Auction archives. They are really the ones to blame for this residue.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goof-Off will eat up plastic or paint or most anyting it comes in contact with.

Goo-Gone would have removed the sticker residue and will not hurt the plastic.

I use Goo-Gone on PCGS holders regulary and it works great and doesn't hurt the plastic.

I have even used it on the reverse on holograms with no dire effects to the hologram. Just leave it on for a few seconds to soften the residue and wipe it off.
    GrandAm :)
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Originally posted by: Baley

Me too, so I added TrueView

I'll post them when I get them.

For those who don't understand the cost of the "reholder", it is because as I explained I sent it in as a Regrade submission and added TrueView.

It actually should have cost more, since I under insured it. If it grades as a 40, then I'll call and get more insurance for the return trip.

Coin Type: U.S. Coins

Submission Type: Regrade

Service Level: Regular 15 days $3,000.00 Max Value Per Coin

Service Level Fee: 1 coins(s) X $32.00 $32.00

TrueView Imaging: 1 coins(s) X $10.00 $10.00

Handling Fee: $10.00

USPS: $28.95

Packaging Fee: $0.00

Estimated Premium Fee: $0.00

Estimated Total Charges: $80.95

Plus the cost of registered mail to PCGS. $100 is a lot of coin money, but I guess it is just in the noise.

I don't know what the seller did to it after he took his picture. It is not normal sticker residue, but a thick strip of glue.

And why he put it across the obverse label I have no clue.

Had he delivered it as pictured, he would have received positive FB.

I'll send him a message and ask what he did.

At least he'll be aware and hopefully not do it again.

Could've easily been another $28 had you selected the $60 Express Service Level which has the minimum grading fee for a coin of that value.

Originally posted by: illini420
    I would guess that residue was almost certainly caused by Heritage. For the last year or so, they've changed how they sticker their slabbed coins for auctions and it now involves very sticky tape that goes over the top of the slab and is applied to the obverse label area right where the residue shows on your piece. Sometimes the stickers come right off w/o residue, but more often than not, some residue remains and it can be some work to remove.

It's possible the residue just didn't show in the photos... I'd guess you'd find it in a recent Heritage auction though if you took a look.

Edited to add, that in about a minute I found this exact coin in the September 2015 Long Beach sale in the Heritage Auction archives. They are really the ones to blame for this residue.

Thank you sir, I see it.

The seller used HA photos, but took off their sticker and left the residue for me.

I've had the same issue with HA before and sent it back to them for reholdering and re-CAC, so I should have been looking there.
    I could have complained to them about their stickers and saved some money.

Oh well, I still have a chance of getting it back as a 40 with the regrade so there is some hope still image
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seller's a jerk. At a bare minimum that's established.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many remedies for glue residue on slabs. But the simplest and safest I've found is the same stuff used to clean and polish the slab: PlastX. Works like a charm.

Lance.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it alone. It adds a bit of character.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Goof Off also doesn't like GSA & Silver Ike "slabs" either! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Chemical removal of sticker residue is the absolute last thing I would consider. If the residue bothered me that much (which it wouldn't since its the count that counts and not the slab) I would have first tried using scotch tape. Looking at your photo, I'd bet scotch tape would have done a fairly good job.

BUT, to answer your question, a simple reholder is all that's needed at $10 plus whatever shipping is involved. Throw a TrueView into the mix and your still better off than the cost, and time, of a regrade.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned that the hard way also on a couple slabs. A few years back I used it on a Hallmark slab and absolutely ruined it.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlastX ,worked for me.
    Dip the whole slab in gasoline and then blame EXXON.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: abcde12345
    Dip the whole slab in gasoline and then blame EXXON.

image Thanks.... I needed that.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a strange thread.

I would have left the seller a positive feedback as he/she delivered you the pictured coin.

I would have then posted here about how to remove sticky Heritage glue from a slab and in about 60 seconds you would have hand an answer. Case closed.

The bit about reholder...

You want a regrade not a reholder. A reholder doesn't go to the graders and is fast/cheap. A regrade gets cracked and goes back to the grading room so you pay more.

Unfortunately in the real world one seldom gets to have their cake and eat it too.

Anyhow..sorry you ruined your slab but I hope this thread shows you that people here can help with almost every scenario.

Good luck on the regrade. Hoping you get an upgrade out of the deal image
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing ofmit as cheap tuition in the school of life: when you use potentially hazardous chemicals incorrectly w/o reading the label and precautions, bad things can happen. At least he didn't burn down the house...
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a good looking Dollar!

I have nothing to contribute that has already been said about your "sticky situation".
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin! Also nothing else to add about the goop...thanks for posting though...I have a couple of slabs in the same boat so might experiment a little (low cost widgets so not a big investment if something goes wrong).

K
    ANA LM
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file