Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New addition - Dave Winfield and Jim Palmer original art cachets - Happy Memorial Day!

Hi everyone.

I've seen these things around - knew nothing about them but found some original artwork on ebay and since I will not - in the near future - afford the kind of work Graig does - thought I'd take a stab - they were getting very little play?

Here's the only thing I know about them: Z Silk Cachet aka Z-Cachet - a cachet made by Historic Limited Editions located in New Caanan, Conn. President of the company is John Zaso. I also found a NY address for the company.

The first is Tommy Henrich Pride of the Yankees - here's an example of the cachet and the original artwork.

The artwork was done by Susan Rini. None of her work - in this form that I checked - goes for big bucks. But since I can't afford "high" art - this is just what the doctor ordered!

And next - Heroes of Baseball Juan Marichal.

And the original artwork:

The artwork was done by Joseph Catalano.

Both pieces are approximately 9X11"

Here's the other two I picked up - I couldn't find the Z-cachets that go with it yet. The average price of the 4 pieces was 36 bucks - I thought that was more than fair for real pieces of artwork.

Larry Doby

Lefty Gomez

Thanx for viewing guys - I was very pleased with this pickup - I picked up some cool board games - would like to report them as one post down the road - I know they're not that popular but I think the graphics/colors are nice to see - even for the non-collector?
Mike

Comments

• Nick Pickup
    This one looks like they drew a hat on the 77 portrait and used the pose from 75

imageimage

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭
    John Zaso used to be set up at all the bigger East Coast shows during the hobby heydeys of the mid 1980's-late 1990's and at his table he would sell these cachets and original artwork...Once MLB required a license to use their logos, he was forced to use artwork that did not show any.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>John Zaso used to be set up at all the bigger East Coast shows during the hobby heydeys of the mid 1980's-late 1990's and at his table he would sell these cachets and original artwork...Once MLB required a license to use their logos, he was forced to use artwork that did not show any.

IMF >>

Interesting info - I'm glad the hats on my players have logos - not seeing the NY logo - e.g. - would be disappointing.

Since this is the best that I could afford - I'm very happy to have them. I sure wish I could afford something from Graig - but it won't happen any time in the near future. I found these by pure accident.
    Mike
  • The Hunter also had an autographed version:

• CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    I loved the Z catchets. I used to buy them unpostmarked in Cooperstown, get them cancelled myself and have the players sign them. I am assuming they dont make these anymore?

Here are a couple of mine:

I just got this Z Cachet back TTM from former Orioles pitcher, Mike Boddicker

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

<< <i>I just got this Z Cachet back TTM from former Orioles pitcher, Mike Boddicker

IMF >>

Cool item - and always better to get it yourself TTM - thanx for sharing.
    Mike
    Hi everyone

It's related to the Z silk cachets - so I thought I would just add to this thread.

I found this while searching around from Lelands BIN. It was originally in their regular auction; min.bid. $100 (no sale); then on ebay min.bid $99 (no sale) and then a BIN for 45 bucks. I said OK.

They categorized it as an FDC cachet with the original artwork by Dunn of Billy Martin with a Lou Gehrig stamp.

FDCs (first day cover) started in 1923 by a stamp collector/printer - George Ward Linn. From what I can see? FDCs are connected with First Date of Issue stamps and concomitant FDI cancellation on the stamp(s).

This one is not a FDI tho it was made by one of the big cachet (FDC) makers - Colorano.

Other big companies that make first date of issue/FDC cachets are Artcraft, Artmaster, Fleetwood, House of Farnam. I know Gateway Stamp Co. is a big cachet maker also - not sure if they fit into the FDC category?

The Billy Martin Artwork:

Note the Dec. 29, 1989 postage cancellation - that was the day of the funeral for Billy who was killed in a truck accident on the 26th of December.

I know he was controversial but I liked the excitement he brought to the dugout when he worked for the Yankees - his arguments with Steinbrenner were monumental. And who doesn't remember Billy vs Reggie?

Thanx for viewing.
    Mike
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's phenomenal! What size is the artwork?

<< <i>That's phenomenal! What size is the artwork? >>

Thanx Kyle!

The painting portion of the artwork is about 6 1/2X7" - it appears to be acrylic paint. It's a little deeper than water color.
    Mike
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are some nice artworks.

Basically a First Day Cover is a cover (envelope) that is postmarked in the city, and on the date that the stamp on the cover was issued. The stamp is the reason for the cover being made.

A Commemorative Cover (such as all the covers in this thread) is postmarked in the city, and on the date that a certain event occured (a no-hitter, HOF induction, a player reaching a career milestone, etc.). The cover then features a "cachet" (the artwork on the left) depicting the event or person commemorated. The stamp on a Commemorative Cover, most of the time, has no connection at all to the event/person commemorated. Often times however, the cover maker will use stamps that do carry a connection to the event or person commemorated, such as using a Babe Ruth or Yankee Stadium stamp on a cover commemorating a Yankee-related event. Still though, the stamp is on the cover, so that the cover can be postmarked by the USPS.

Gateway Stamp Company is pretty-much the only company still doing the covers (both sports-related First Day Covers, and Commemorative Covers). They've been making the covers since 1977.

P.S.: The way to identify a Gateway Cover, is by the "GS" logo on the envelope, located in the bottom-center of the front (same place the "Z" logo is on Stone's covers).

Steve
    Thanx for your additional information Steve.

Ya know, when I was in the 5th grade, I was in the stamp club and we used to buy FDC - FDI's in 4 stamp combo and get the first date of issue cancellation on them. They looked really cool.

By the time I got to high school, I game the entire collection to the son of a friend of my mom's - wish I still had my collection.
    Mike
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff~I have a few of these FDC pieces that my father gave me years ago, including one stamped in 1983 and signed by Marichal, Perry and Cepeda.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the Marichal, Perry, Cepeda piece and also the Seaver one I have, celebrating his 300th win..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    and you could always make your own & have them signed

IMF
    Thanx for showing your signed cachets guys.

Here's a couple that I got for a very fair price - I can really call this "poor man's art."

These 2 are 6X7.5" and done on thick art stock.

First up: Dave Winfield cachet commemorating his entry into the 400 HR Club in 1991.

Here's the list of players he joined:

Lou Gehrig - 493

Fred McGriff - 493

Albert Pujols - 475 (through 2012)

Stan Musial - 475

Willie Stargell - 475

Carlos Delgado - 473

Chipper Jones - 468

Dave Winfield - 465

Jose Canseco - 462

Carl Yastrzemski - 452

Vladimir Guerrero - 449 (through 2012)

Jeff Bagwell - 449

Dave Kingman - 442

Andre Dawson - 438

Andruw Jones - 434 (through 2012)

Juan Gonzalez - 434

Cal Ripken Jr. - 431

Jason Giambi - 429 (through 2012)

Mike Piazza - 427

Billy Williams - 426

Paul Konerko - 421 (through 2012)

Darrell Evans - 414

Duke Snider - 407

Adam Dunn - 406

David Ortiz - 401 (through 2012)

And next - Jim Palmer cachet.

Since it would be really hard for me to afford Graig's artwork, I'm happy to have these in my collection. image

Thanx for viewing and Happy Memorial Day!

edit:

This didn't catch anyone's attention but I got these 2 for a fair price overall compared to what they went for in the 80s when they came out: Gartlan signed Schmidt and Williams.

They were the creation of Robert gartlan. He launched them in 1985 and were a bit hit. They stopped producing the sports pieces in the mid-1990s. I remember when they came out and thought they were very pricey at the time.

Mike