Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ford HK-465 and HK-466 So Called Dollars Struck in Aluminum (and Copper and Brass)

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 29, 2020 9:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum
These unlisted aluminum versions of HK-465 and HK-466 photos are from Great Toning, who mentions there is speculation these could be restrikes.

Does anyone have information on whether these are originals or restrikes?

Should they get HK numbers of their own?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1933-34-unlisted-hk-465-hk-466-called-1798424821

> Pictures are Below1933-34 Unlisted HK-465 HK-466 So Called Dollars Struck in Aluminum Copper and Brass.1933-34 Unlisted HK-465 HK-466 So Called Dollars Struck in Aluminum Copper and Brass . Nothing known for sure about these so calls but there is speculation that they are restrikes.

Comments

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly not an expert on So-Called Dollars, but they don't appear to have been made from the same dies as the originals... I'd guess they are modern copies w/o a copy stamp.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting

where did you get them?

A reliable source?
    Frank

BHNC #203

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are re-strikes struck in 1973 and EBay was flooded with them about a year or two ago.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are starting to be many re-strikes of some SC$'s offered, the CPIE and 1904 L&C seem to be the most prevalent to date. my hunch is that someone got the dies and has been striking medals for awhile with re-sales starting to show regularly on eBay. it may be Chinese, maybe homegrown, but it is a bad thing from my perspective. I don't wish to drag DC into the thread but this is a symptom of the "slippery slope" that his reproductions encourage. granted, stuff like this may have taken place without his work, but the success of his issues have opened some eyes.

to the medals pictured I am not convinced they are from the 1973 re-strike dies since those had a microscopic "1973" near the rim on the obverse of the HK-465 which is clearly absent on this set. also, they most certainly do not warrant their own HK number.

JMHO of course.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The medals pictured in the OP are not the 1973 restrikes. As noted, the 1973 restrikes have a teensy 1973 date on them (after PROGRESS). Also, only the left medal was restruck in 1973.

The medals pictured in the OP also were not straightforward restrikes. The dies are different from the original copper/bronze/brass/whatever versions. I'm not going to point out the differences. When these first appeared on eBay a year or two ago, there was a comment that they were prototypes, so they're supposed to look different.

As Broadstruck notes, there were a seemingly unlimited number on eBay in aluminum, brass, and copper, almost entirely from a couple of sellers (one of whom admitted that he bought from the other). Most of them from the original sellers have dried up, but not entirely. One of the original sellers also had Civil War tokens, California gold pieces, and I forget what else, all of similar quality.

I understand from someone who bought copies that the diameter is different as well.

I haven't purchased copies of these myself, and I don't intend to.
    I'm not going to point out the differences.

most notable on the HK-465 is the reverse wreath and the positioning of the "V" regarding where it intersects the wreath. on the HK-466 the lettering/font is wrong if you look closely.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting background. Thanks everyone!
    Here's a thread from Jeff's website with more information.

I wonder if we'll ever know where these came from.
    Here are photos of the copper and brass ones as well from Great Toning.

The seller said they were from Ford (from Jeff's website):

<< <i>I know that I am adding this information late and these pieces are no longer on the market. I was curious about these and I contacted the seller. He proceeded to tell me that he had received them from his grandfather(who was high up with Ford) and that they were at least 30 years old. We talked on the phone several times and he never acted as though he was trying to deceive anyone. He even sent about 9 of them to me without me paying for them just so that I could check them out. Not exactly the act of someone being deceitful. I can verify that not only are all of them from new dies but that also they were 1 to 2 mm larger in diameter than the originals. The dies were very well made but every die had variances from the originals. I had in my hands the aluminum, copper and brass of both 465 and 466 and also the smaller Ford 30th ann. medal that isn't a SCD. I did return these to him and told him that they were not original. He thanked me and said that he would change the listings as he didn't want to misrepresent them. I also notified NGC to alert them that these existed. Please contact me if anyone has any other questions or thoughts about these. >>

It would be great to know more about the background of these.

It would be great to know more about the background of these.

what would be "great" is if people would stop counterfeiting. you can dress it up however you choose with fancy words and explanations, but that's what it is in the end. sadly, someone will fall victim and end up with medals that aren't what they are purported to be.

<< <i>It would be great to know more about the background of these.

what would be "great" is if people would stop counterfeiting. you can dress it up however you choose with fancy words and explanations, but that's what it is in the end. sadly, someone will fall victim and end up with medals that aren't what they are purported to be. >>

Sure, but once they are out, they are out, e.g. Dickeson Continental dollars, Bolen silver bar cents, Scovill Fugios, etc. Some of them even have HK numbers and are slabbed by our hosts. Hopefully the story of these becomes better known over time, like these other examples.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these coins are so cool! I work at Ford Motor Co. and I would like to find some of these. Never seen before? Very interesting, esp. with Ford coming out with the new aluminum trucks. Are these coins "Ford Tough"?image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think these coins are so cool! I work at Ford Motor Co. and I would like to find some of these. Never seen before? Very interesting, esp. with Ford coming out with the new aluminum trucks. Are these coins "Ford Tough"?image >>

Get the real ones

Those shown are knockoffs.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>I think these coins are so cool! I work at Ford Motor Co. and I would like to find some of these. Never seen before? Very interesting, esp. with Ford coming out with the new aluminum trucks. Are these coins "Ford Tough"?image >>

As mentioned, it's unknown who made these, but they are not struck from the same dies from the ones issued at the expo.

You can find both these and the originals on the bay.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Thanx!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting.

Great info
    Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file