Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Busted open six packs of 1981 Popy Kajiwara figures (wrestling) no HULK HOGAN RCs

I am attempting to complete this small 17 card set and paid some money to buy three figures. There are 8 cards per unopened pack. Here is the checklist for the set and what I received.

Labeled "A"
Abdullah the Butcher (3)
Andre the Giant (3)
Antonio Inoki (2)
Mil Mascaras (2)
Tiger Mask (2)

Labeled "B"
Abdullah the Butcher (0)
Andre the Giant (0)
Antonio Inoki (1)
Mil Mascaras (0)
Tiger Mask (1)

Unlabeled-
Giant Baba (3)
Dory Funk Jr (2)
Stan Hansen (2)
Bob Backlund (1)
Harley Race (1)
Terry Funk (1)
Hulk Hogan (0)

I struck out on getting the 1981 Hogan!

Ughhh!!!!!!!

The Race I needed for my set and a Hogan and a lot of the cards are very nice but not the Race.....

Rob
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Rob - let's see some pictures, my friend!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Pics!!!
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are some scans of the cards that I got...still in card savers and just did a quick scan...........
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Here is a pic of the figures.....notice the 1981 Hulk Hogan card. EPIC!!!!!!!!!

this is the one i want

Notice that from the company that there is a rubberband around the Andre and Inoki figures inside the packaging. This means that some of the cards will be damaged despite being sealed. A rubberband around cards for 32 years will leave some damage to the cards for sure.
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the scans! I love the figures too!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff, Rob! Nice work!

Andre the Giant actually looks pretty ripped in that pic!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    What three figures did you open to get get the cards?
    Andre, Abdullah and Race.......do you know where to find some more of the figures? If you do please send me a PM.
    I was able to create a little opening to get the cards out and the figure is still sealed. I know it ruins it as far as the figure guys are concerned, but the figures have not been taken out so that should count for a little. I am going to sell the figures of Andre, Abdullah and Race with the header card and figure and recoup some of my money.
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Yea that killed the value lol. I have been looking for ones to get graded by AFA.
    do you have any of these?
    A member of these boards is in Japan and found two figures at a shop in Japan and the price tag for Inoki and Andre the Giant was $1000 and $800. That seems to be pretty steep to me......it will be a great challenge getting a lot more of these.
    That is steep. The most I've seen one go for is ¥25000 (~$250) and that was with card and figure sealed. I think an average price for the figures by themselves are between ¥5000-¥10000. Single cards come up on occasion for ¥500-¥1000.

Japanese seller wanting $1350 for a figure of Stan Hansen on ebay now. I know there has been some deals on Yahoo Japan but another guy in Japan told me that he has went into shops in Japan and the sealed figures were priced at $800 or so and they would not budge. Seems really high to me, but I suppose people can ask whatever they want for their items.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I collect action figures in general and any retail figures here in Korea are overly priced.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I really like this hogan. It's really hard to find and when you do it's not cheap because the figure market in Japan is so strong. It's a great xrc card IMO. Do you think the hogan is short print? I know you aren't working with a huge sample size but it seems like it might be.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    That is way overpriced, but the supplies of these is very limited. In 10 years they might be that but for now they can be had for under $500.

Not sure if any are short printed. They all are hard to find.
    Stan Hansen Popy figure sold on ebay for $500......
    The one I see sold for $1350

Popy
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The one I see sold for $1350

Popy >>

That was the asking price, the seller accepted a $500 best offer.
    Okay, thanks. Seems like a pretty strong price. Can't imagine what a Hogan figure with a Hogan card will go for.
    Probably should not have cracked mine but oh well..........
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Andre the Giant actually looks pretty ripped in that pic! >>

Before he busted his ankle in 1981, Andre was fairly mobile and in good shape (relatively). He went south in a hurry after the injury.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Before he busted his ankle in 1981, Andre was fairly mobile and in good shape (relatively). He went south in a hurry after the injury. >>

You always provide great historical insight.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Before he busted his ankle in 1981, Andre was fairly mobile and in good shape (relatively). He went south in a hurry after the injury. >>

You always provide great historical insight. >>

I appreciate Tabe contributions as well!
    The Abdullah the Butcher Popy figure sold ($500) pretty quick via ebay.......nice to see some of these being listed.
    Mil Mascaras just sold for $480. The prices of these are very strong right now. Perhaps me getting these cards in PSA slabs has assisted in getting the prices of these up a little higher than before. Maybe I jumped the gun as I really want another Hogan! LOL
    Wow! Those are some strong prices! They are all coming from Japan I see. These are tough pieces to get and it sounds like the word is out to a few people in Japan that there is a market for then over here.
    Double post.
    I got an email this morning from a CU member in Japan who told me that the shop in Japan sold five Popy figures for $3500 and the buyer was wanting more. It was a package deal that included the ones that were individually earlier in this thread for $1000 and $800. I think it is fair to say that the market has considerably increased on these and unfortunately I am not an owner on any of these figures I am referencing.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the Andre listed on EBAY for $650 and I put it on my watch list and before I could blink it was sold.

These are super cool figures and what a bonus that there are cards too.

I didn't even see the Andre.....
    Wow. Are the unopened figure collectors driving these prices or is people looking to open them for the cards? I'm glad I was able to find a hogan when I did. No way I could buy at these prices
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

<< <i>Wow. Are the unopened figure collectors driving these prices or is people looking to open them for the cards? I'm glad I was able to find a hogan when I did. No way I could buy at these prices >>

It is tough to be certain, but I think there is a perfect storm of the cards becoming prominent (PSA graded) and then the collision of card collectors versus figure collectors. The Andre sold for $650 before I ever saw the auction. No telling what a Hogan figure from 1981 would go for right now. What is really interesting about the Hogan is that the header card can sometimes be Mil Mascaras. There are some Hulk Hogan figures with his own header card, and I am certain those would go for a much larger premium. I'm pretty happy to have put together this trading card set in PSA slabs as it is an expensive proposition to get these just months later. It may be a bit too expensive to get card collectors "excited" about them at this rate. It is fun to follow.....
    The Andre figure with cards had the 33 year old rubber band crusted around the cards, making the $650 price all that much steeper.
    These are getting crazy! I'm wondering if anyone is going to open these for the cards or the figure or keep them sealed. I passed up several at $200 each. Wishing I hadn't now.

<< <i>These are getting crazy! I'm wondering if anyone is going to open these for the cards or the figure or keep them sealed. I passed up several at $200 each. Wishing I hadn't now. >>

In reality there are some other figures after these that go for large amounts and these are simply cooler than those in my opinion. The work on the figures is done well and the cards that come with them are a huge bonus. The cards themselves are really nice photography and feature the wrestler much better than some of the other wrestling cards that are out there on the market. I don't think there are enough of these to create a market just yet but I could easily see both the cards and the figures increase in price in the near future. While I may be surprised to see the increase in prices in just a few short months, I cannot say that there is little reason for it. Initially people did not know anything about the cards, or a complete checklist of the cards that come with them. Now that light has been shed on these, I can see why people are going after them. An AFA graded Hogan would be a huge piece! I still want to find a raw Hogan card so I can get it signed and slabbed. The graded Hogan figure is something I would like to acquire as well and I am not a figure guy.
    I need to go get my scans of the Popy set I have acquired........
    Abdullah The Butcher A

Abdullah the Butcher B

Andre the Giant A

Andre the Giant B

Antonio Inoki A

Antonio Inoki B

Bob Backlund

Dory Funk Jr.

Giant Baba

Harley Race

Hulk Hogan

Mil Mascaras A

Mil Mascaras B

Stan Hansen

Terry Funk

Tiger Mask A

Tiger Mask B
    Sold my signed Abby B PSA DNA card for $157.50. I was pretty pleased with that sale but that is one of the coolest card images on a wrestling card out there.
    I saw that. Congrats. That is a pretty iconic card of him.

<< <i>I saw that. Congrats. That is a pretty iconic card of him. >>

Other Abby went for $150 so someone loves the Butcher!
    Is the hogan card definitely in the pack of cards with the figure? It looks like the header card is usually the same as the figure except for the hogan for some reason. Interested to see how the figure does in eBay. Already over a g.
    I've seen six of the Hogan figures. Three had the Mil header card and three had the Hogan header. Not sure why. There is one other figure out there that had a different header card. I'll have to go back and look at which figure that was.
    Congrats on your sale of the Hogan figure with the Mascaras card for $1625! Strong sale price.
    hope the low feedback buyer comes through for you Sumo!
    I hope so...and based in the UK and I thought it was clear in the auction I only shipped to US.
    I'm skeptical this is a serious buyer. 3 ID changes on e-bay in the last 5 months...and they haven't responded to my initial communication. I wish I would have caught that earlier..I would have cancelled their bid before the auction ends due to them being an international buyer. We'll see, hopefully they come through.

<< <i>I'm skeptical this is a serious buyer. 3 ID changes on e-bay in the last 5 months...and they haven't responded to my initial communication. I wish I would have caught that earlier..I would have cancelled their bid before the auction ends due to them being an international buyer. We'll see, hopefully they come through. >>

Yeah I am not too happy to see international buyers on big ticket items. Hope it works out for you...I'd like to see a strong completed sale of this figure as I believe it is worthy of it.