Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's June 2014 LONG BEACH SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Once again, the folks who put on the Long Beach Expo did a great job of promoting and putting on a great show. And usually the summer Long Beach show is much “quieter” than the spring and fall shows, but this one turned out to be very active, with lots of foot traffic.

Before the show started I had the opportunity to examine about 150 rolls of better grade Indian cents. While I love Indian cents and searching rolls, going through this many rolls can be a painstakingly tedious process and took me several days to go through them, but having a glass of wine made it even more enjoyable!

I brought quite a few of them to sell at the show.

Set up day started off with a bang, with one of my favorite vest pocket dealers bringing me some awesome pieces to purchase as soon as I got to my table, two of which I sold the next day! Here are most of the certified coins I bought at the show, many of which were from this same dealer.

I bought this 1884 beauty from one of my customers

Around 5pm as usual, Collector’s Universe treated all the dealers to taquitos and beer. The bourse floor was pretty hot since they have to leave the large loading dock door open until all the dealers have brought their material in, so cold beer was very welcomed!

After set up, we went to our usual Wednesday night restaurant not far from the convention center – a wonderful Italian restaurant called Café Piccolo.

This is the night where everyone brings a bottle of wine for tasting. Here is our selection (I brought the Rombauer – one of my favorite vineyards!). We always have leftover wine which we bring back to the show the next day, and this time was no different.

My booth helper Rich and DennisH

My good friend Joanne (wife of foreign coin dealer Karl Stephens) and me

Since we are regulars at this restaurant, they remember us every time we return – and they gave us a complimentary dessert for what they said was Karl’s “birthday!”

During May/June, we typically have “June Gloom” in the mornings, but it usually burns off by noon. So here are photos in front of the convention center taken in the morning during this June Gloom.

This is behind the convention center – parking is to the left, the loading dock is to the right

Thursday was steadily busy all day. I made some good sales early on, then sales tapered off, until later in the day when it picked up again.

WIN raffle ticket sales were booming on Wednesday and Thursday! Here’s form member Flash graciously buying some raffle tickets!

Ran into David Lange of NGC!

Another forum member stopped by to say hi – Bruce

A forum “lurker” and good buddy – Steve Price who works for Stacks Bowers

Phil/Habaraca

Richard Lewis

My BFF Cindi (Logan of VAMS & More’s daughter) who also works for ANACS, and Mark Witkower enjoying some wine after a very busy day!

After the show closed, we went over to our favorite Thursday night haunt – Naple’s Ribs – along with about 30 other dealers!

Cindi and me

On the left is Bob Fanger, then Ian/GreatCollections, Roge/MustangGT, Wade of Northern Nevada Coin, then continuing around on the right side are Tony and Allen from Northern Nevada Coin, Cindi, Todd/BluCCPhotos, Unknown, then Logan.

Northern Nevada Coin folks again

Greg and Bonnie (Albanese Rare Coins) and two gentlemen I don’t know

Dealers Brent Fogelberg and friend

Nina Phan of GreatCollections and Peter Treglia of Stacks, across from Nina areRichie Gonzalez and Brett Tau of Elemental Capital in Texas

Nina definitely enjoying her ribs!

On the left Tim Canard front right is Joe Wargo, then Rick Snow’s son Kenny, then Rick Snow

Kenny, me and Tim Canard

Wei/WTCG

A pile of leftover ribs!

Friday started off more slowly than Thursday, but I had a couple nice sales first thing. Then I went over to the Pawn Stars table to see if they were interested in some short snorter notes containing some famous signatures that I had bought from the daughter of a serviceman who served in the Pacific Theater during WWII.

For those who are unfamiliar with the history and background of the term “short snort” and “short snorters,” Wiki says a “short snort” was a slang expression for less than a full shot of liquor. Pouring short snorts guaranteed barkeepers a little extra profit in each bottle. Also, drinking only a short snort allowed the imbiber to honestly point to his moderation. Years before federal aviation regulations, pilots discovered that alcohol and airplanes do not mix, and fly-boys who drank heavily did not live long. Soon, pilots jokingly were calling each other “short snorter.

According to Shortsnorter.org, a “short snorter” is a banknote that was signed by various persons traveling together or meeting up at different events and records who was met. The tradition was started by bush pilots in Alaska in the 1920's and subsequently spread through the growth of military and commercial aviation. If you signed a short snorter and that person could not produce it upon request, they owed you a dollar or a drink (a “short snort”, aviation and alcohol do not mix!).

I bought a set of three foreign short snorter notes – one has the signature of Jack Benny and another was signed by Joe E. Brown, both USO entertainers during WWII. I posted these photos on a previous thread.

Then I also bought a set of 21 foreign notes, with the last one being an Australian note containing John Wayne’s signature, along with a female Vikki Montan. I did some research and found an article discussing John Wayne’s appearance in Brisbaine in December 1943, along with a USO accordion player by the name of Vikki Montan.

I stood in line for about 20 minutes, then it was my turn to speak with the casting crew.

When I showed the casting crew my notes, the signature expert became little excited when he saw the John Wayne signature on the end of a string of 21 notes. He said the ones he usually sees are cut away from the string of notes and this was the longest one he had seen, plus he said John Wayne’s signature was very desirable. He was also very pleased when I showed him my research and the article on John Wayne and Vikki Montan, as well as information on the soldier who had obtained the signature.

The casting crew said they were definitely going to recommend putting my short snorter notes on the Pawn Stars show, so they took photographs of the notes.

They said they would be doing some filming for the show in the next month or so, then they take a break during July and August and start again in September, but that I should be hearing from them at some point. I’ll keep you all posted!

I went back to my table where I remained for the rest of the day. I had a few more sales, but I had more people wanting to sell me coins, so I was kept very busy. I was also trying to process some of my new purchases that I had Todd photograph so I could get them into my inventory.

A customer brought by his finally completed Two Cent collection, including both tough to find 1873 proofs!

Soon it was 3pm and time to have a glass of wine! Mark Witkower had dropped off some fresh grown fruit from his own orchard, as well as this amazing 2002 Turley Zinfandel. Usually, it’s not a good idea to hold on to Zinfandels but this one is an exception to the rule – it was probably the best Zinfandel I’ve had, so smooth and flavorful with no tanginess. He shared it with several of us and, unfortunately, it went very fast (as you can see, the bottle was already empty when I thought to take a photo!).

My booth friend also brought this great wine with a fun label!

When I took a break from my table to run an errand, I came upon this adorable little decked out pooch and just had to get a picture! I’m not convinced he enjoyed wearing the glasses, but he seemed used to them and didn’t look like he was complaining much….

Always enjoy talking to one of my very favorite dealer friend Logan McKechnie of VAMS & More!

And his very beautiful daughters Cindi and Amanda!

That night we went up the street to a really good Argentinian restaurant called Gaucho Grill.

These were the wines we brought to share during dinner

This was the very tasty chicken and spinach dish I had, it was part of a complete meal/deal and included a delicious bread pudding with caramel sauce dessert – it was wonderful!

I arrived early Saturday to try and finish processing coins for my inventory and get coins ready for NGC and PCGS. Here’s the PCGS table.

And the PCGS folks! This is Ophelia and Alicia

And David

As usual, my table was part of the kids’ treasure trivia so I had lots of little guys and gals stop by my table to find the answer to a question. Here’s one of the adorable little boys who was doing the treasure trivia all by himself!

After the hunt is over, the kids gather at the Pirate’s table for their prizes. Then they gathered around this table where a dealer taught them a little more about coins

Here are some new Conder tokens I just got back from NGC and brought to Todd to photograph.

Soon it was time to tear down, pack up, and head home. In the middle of packing, we took a short break since we had a bit of wine left in one of the bottles that Rich and I shared. Even though the wine was gone and the show was over, we still had some nice music playing on my little Bose boom box with the big sound to make the tear down a little more enjoyable.

The bourse floor soon looked like a ghost town!

My table is basically in the middle of the bourse floor – this is a view from my table looking towards the front of the room

Looking towards the back of the room

Overall, it turned out to be a pretty successful show, though at times selling activity lagged. Big coins didn’t seem to be moving as much as small/medium priced coins. But I was happy to find some nice new pieces to add to inventory, including several quality raw coins.

So that’s it for this show report. Next up – the ANA Summer Seminar in a few weeks!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But. But. But You're selling John Wayne?!?!?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should never, ever be leftovers ribs from Naples.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But. But. But You're selling John Wayne?!?!? >>

I know, I know. It was a tough decision, but I thought I'd at least see what they'll offer.

<< <i>There should never, ever be leftovers ribs from Naples. >>

Lou looks forward to my Naples Ribs leftovers, so I have to save some for him!

<< <i>But. But. But You're selling John Wayne?!?!? >>

I know, I know. It was a tough decision, but I thought I'd at least see what they'll offer.

<< <i>There should never, ever be leftovers ribs from Naples. >>

Lou looks forward to my Naples Ribs leftovers, so I have to save some for him! Gotta keep the hubby happy, and if a few leftover ribs works, it's well worth it!
  • DanielBooneDanielBoone Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Nice report! I'm glad that the show is making a comeback!
    Successful Transactions With: PRoemisch, WTCG, CCFC, barberkeys, lkeigwin, ElmerFusterpuck, 123cents, coin22lover, coinlieutenant and abitofthisabitofthat
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My replies and thank you's may get redundant but your reports never disappoint.

Enjoyed it all start to finish. The coins, people, food and everything in between.

As far as the Pawn Stars goes, it seems they have a soft spot for John Wayne material.
    I've seen them even bring in John Wayne's son to help with authentication.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    The show ain't over until Charmy posts her report.image

Look forward to every show recap and all the pics.

Mike
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another fun report. Now I'm hungry, darn it.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, great photo-report at LB, Charmy.

I must say, that if I wasn't studying my coins at the Long Beach Show(and I'm not there for relevance),......this would be why...Go Nina!

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the fine report Charmy. I cannot believe someone gave you a bottle of Turley 2002 Zinfandel, and that you shared it. A current 2012 bottle sells for about $50, so go figure what a ten years older bottle is worth today. My guess would be about $200 for the 2002 bottle. I was never able to afford more than two bottles a year of the Turley Zinfandel, but I loved drinking every ounce of them. I did not share.

My CU name "mozin" is short for "more zinfandel".

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
    My CU name "mozin" is short for "more zinfandel".
    Major disclosure is long for "modis"........ image
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool report as always Charmy...where is your new partner in crime, you know...the gorgeous redhead? image

Erik
  • lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    Great report and I will have to look at the new listings. I did notice the 1861 IHC MS65 and the OGH IHC have no color designation lol great looking even though I can not tell the color as no one is telling meimage

<< <i>Cool report as always Charmy...where is your new partner in crime, you know...the gorgeous redhead? image

Erik >>

Lucille Ball has passed away my friend. image

<< <i>Great report and I will have to look at the new listings. I did notice the 1861 IHC MS65 and the OGH IHC have no color designation lol great looking even though I can not tell the color as no one is telling meimage >>

Copper nickel cents do not have color designations because they are a gold or tan color - they do not start out "red" so do not tone red brown or brown like the copper bronze cents do.
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Love your trip reports, Charmy. Thank you!
    Every man is a self made man.
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great report image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great time! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen Rick's son since they moved back to AZ - my how they grow! Is he getting into the business??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super report Charmy.... and lovely wines.... that Zinfandel is a classic, I am jealous. Drinking wine from a Red Solo Cup (great song...) Cheers, RickO
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great report. I have not been to a show since CSNS so your report really helps.
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another excellent show report and thanks for sharing, Charmy.
  • A lovely report as always, Charmy! image
    Numismatist, Alhambra Coin Center

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great report and photos!
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Oh no, it looks like there was a coat of vaseline on the lens when my picture was taken.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>Oh no, it looks like there was a coat of vaseline on the lens when my picture was taken. >>

No, that was YOU moving and twisting and turning to get out of having your photo taken while you were actually smiling! ;-)
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I echo the sentiments of others, in that this is a great show report as always. Do you get extra consideration by the Pawn Stars people for having been on their show before?

Matt
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As always, great photo-report at LB, Charmy.

I must say, that if I wasn't studying my coins at the Long Beach Show(and I'm not there for relevance),......this would be why...Go Nina!

image >>

When she got that 4 Finger Death Grip on that rib it was over.....image
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When she got that 4 Finger Death Grip on that rib it was over >>

Yeah not sure if I feel sorrier for the rib or that poor dog dressed to the the max with sunglasses image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Kaline6Kaline6 Posts: 345
    Great report, really enjoyed all of it. Thank you for taking the time to post it!
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy Charmy's posts. It is like the next best thing to being there.
  • Thanks Charmy! I always look forward to your show reports.
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy:

You have saved me huge sums of money because I do not need to go to shows to feel like I actually attended! I thank you, as do my heirs.
    Mark

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, Thank you so much for taking all of us to a great show and sharing the best of show with us. My grandfather had a meat market very close to the LB convention center and there will come the day that I will have to be at the show. But I did pick up a spectacularly toned 1859 PF65+ IHC at the auction. And your restaurant report is the best. You could be a food critic for any major newspaper........

oink
    Thank you everyone for all the very kind replies. You all make the effort more than worthwhile!

<< <i>Charmy, Thank you so much for taking all of us to a great show and sharing the best of show with us. My grandfather had a meat market very close to the LB convention center and there will come the day that I will have to be at the show. But I did pick up a spectacularly toned 1859 PF65+ IHC at the auction. And your restaurant report is the best. You could be a food critic for any major newspaper........

oink >>

And Oink, I'd love the see the 1859 you won, so hopefully you'll post a photo when you get it. It's very hard to find nicely toned copper nickel cents.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of wine bottles seems to have popped.

Did you experience more wine deliveries at this show over past shows?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy,

Sooooo glad you asked......

OINK
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoy your reports and photos. Thanks again.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
    OINK - WOW, that is one beautiful copper nickel Indian cent - thank you for posting it!!!

<< <i>The number of wine bottles seems to have popped.

Did you experience more wine deliveries at this show over past shows? >>

As a matter of fact, yes, and not just at this show. More and more customers and dealers have been bringing me bottles of wine at many of the shows I attend around the country, for which I am very very grateful - especially at the shows I fly to when I can't bring my own! When I drive to a show, I usually bring a bottle for each day because it goes very fast between customers and other dealers that it gets shared with. Then add to that any bottles brought to me by others at the show, so the number of bottles in deed does "pop." Plus, we usually have leftover wine from the dinners where everyone brings a bottle for our wine tasting, so those too get taken to the show the next day. I realize it looks like a lot of wine, but keep in mind that one bottle only serves 3 to 4 glasses and believe me, the wine is spread out among a number of people because by now, everyone knows that the corks start to pop in the afternoon at my table!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file