Home U.S. Coin Forum

It was a day just like any other day......................

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
......................and then the phone rang. I answered and the woman on the other end of the line asked if we bought foreign coins. "Yes" I said, "We buy foreign coins, bring in what you have and we'll look things over." About half-an-hour later a middle aged couple shows up and explains that they have had these coins in the bottom of their dresser and just want to get rid of them. As they sat down and pulled out what was a drawer from an old school Coin Cabinet I explained that what they had weren't coins but were Medals. I called my boss over and we removed the plastic sheet covering the drawer and started to examine what they had, then I left to help another customer at the counter.

When we were both free I approached my boss and we compared notes on what was in the tray which is when he informed me that there were a few other medals, I should go take a look. The one below is what struck me; as improbable as it might seem our little shop in Northeastern Ohio had just purchased a George III Gold Coronation medal from 1761, the same wonderful tyrant embattled with the fledgling American Nation!!! Included in the group of approximately 25 medals are others dating back to the mid-16th Century, an accumulation which is just staggering. I have spent the past few days trying to identify them---learning a little Latin along the way!!---and the search has been exhilarating.

We grade it XF/AU or perhaps only a VF depending on how medals such as this are graded by our European cousins. I can say that some of what looks like heavy rub/wear is really just strike weakness and the color, particularly on the reverse, is wonderful. Overall, the group contains some medals that I cannot find at any of a few good auction venues and several of the ones I have located are not nearly as well preserved as our group. On a few I have had to rely on the British Historical Museum for identification and they don't show pictures.

I am awe-struck!!image

Al H

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh the research, fun times ahead!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    try a google search by date and ruler or subject matter. You may want to look at some of the Baldwin's auction catalogs or even Dix Noonan Webb

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... that is just awesome.... what a thrill to find something like that.... thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had limited success at Baldwins and found much more at CoinArchives.com and just on the web. the biggest problem is the Latin-----I had to do a search to know that "Caralus Secundus" was Charles II. image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert, this may be the only opportunity I have to say I have Gold that is cooler than yours!!image
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    That's really cool!
  • toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always amazed at the treasures of history that remain unfound yet lay in some sock drawer, attic or basement, just waiting to be discovered.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how nice of a check did that couple walk out with?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So how nice of a check did that couple walk out with? >>

50 rupes??, 1,000,000 dinars?

Looks like a neat collection.

Sounds like this couple did no research? I thought everyone now did a internet check to find out there collection is worth 100 times the actual amount. Peace dollars with trust misspelled, rare ikes, steel cents and the like.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Judging by the NGC AU58 example which sold through HA 09-09-11 (~$8k), your piece seems to be high XF. Maybe better if the color is all there.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow thats beautiful. Nice story.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the course of your investigation, I think that you should be asking the oouple to fill in as much of the background info on the medals as possible before the recent history is lost to time.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    WOWZERS!
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
    So how nice of a check did that couple walk out with?
    why do so many insist on knowing specifics such as this??

In the course of your investigation, I think that you should be asking the couple to fill in as much of the background info on the medals as possible before the recent history is lost to time.
    on its face this may seem like a logical and innocent approach but you need to realize that it isn't.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So how nice of a check did that couple walk out with?
    why do so many insist on knowing specifics such as this? >>

I really don't care to know down to the penny/cent. It's sort of useful to what they're worth in case someone runs across one. How do you decide what is a fair offer to make for something like that?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I continue to be amazed at what is just "lying around" out there. Very cool!
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool Al, clearly you're sharing this as the highlight of what you found, was there other similarly scarce stuff in the group?
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the couple was paid more than melt value. Far too often that would not be the case...
    In the course of your investigation, I think that you should be asking the couple to fill in as much of the background info on the medals as possible before the recent history is lost to time.
    on its face this may seem like a logical and innocent approach but you need to realize that it isn't.

Well, you've lost me on that one. I don't need to know. Never mind.

I knew it would happen.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Awesomely cool, Al! Good luck with the research!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like it would be a lot of fun. Good luck with them......
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

1) Please sell me the old coin cabinet. image

2) As for assistance with the Latin, there are a few online tools and with a little digging, you will find them. I believe that Notre Dame has an online Latin parser that is useful in conjunction with other tools. There's also a compilation of Latin phrases used on coins/medals. Doing a search on the exact Latin inscription will not always help. Often the legends are abbreviated, or are a variation on the proper Latin, etc. That's were the list of commonly used legends will come in handy. Bottom line is that will usually have to piece it together.

3) There are also some books (or parts of them) found online that can help with medal identification. Brown is best for British medals. Eimer is another excellent reference. Both are hard to find, although I do believe that both are free online via scanned copies.

Years ago I bought small groups of old auction catalogs here and there. These included a long run of old Stack's and Coin Galleries catalogs from the 1960s through the 90s. I have had good luck finding information on obscure medals there, although it is time consuming. Too bad the old catalogs are not digitized and online! That would make things easier. As an experiment, I have had a couple of catalogs digitized recently, and I can search for things by keyword, since the scans were converted to real text. But that's a topic for another day.

Have fun with the new acquisition. Maybe we will see some of the medals at auction soon?
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So how nice of a check did that couple walk out with?
    why do so many insist on knowing specifics such as this?? >>

Because the collectors here are hoping that the kindly couple didn't get hosed.

• Are you and the shop after investigations going to inform the customers of what they had and as you did not know at the time exactly what you now have are you going to revise the offer to the sellers. Or is this just a case of your gain their loss, this is why people want to know it goes to ethics and business practice.
    Are you and the shop after investigations going to inform the customers....................

no.
    That's a pretty impressive Napoleon medal. He drove the Russians out of Poland in 1806, I wonder if it relates to that? Looks like it may have PL fields. very cool.
  • NicNic Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool medals and story. Thanks Al. Keep us updated and post more pics!

K
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful medals.
    The more you research the more you realize you need to research more.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
    Wow, those are great. That second pair is awesome.
  • dorkbardorkbar Posts: 425 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That second pair is awesome. >>

kaz, I don't want to put words in anybody's mouth, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you are correct--those buttocks are sublime.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow great pieces!
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my.

What a day!

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

<< <i>

<< <i>That second pair is awesome. >>

kaz, I don't want to put words in anybody's mouth, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you are correct--those buttocks are sublime. >>

Nice medals indeed. Don't you almost have to assume that they were struck for the emperor? And possibly kept for him?

I knew it would happen.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What incredibly attractive pieces Al. Thanks for sharing. Just love the artwork on the old medals.
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! That Eimer-280 is exceptional! A rare medal that is underrated.
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a cool surprise.
    Very beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great walk-in. Beats the hell out of dripping acid on that dumbass rock all day.

Mercury Dime aficionados get a double bonus. Fully split and rounded tuchis . . . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nonnnng! She's my type of gondolier! image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally cool...thanks for taking the time to post these.

K
    ANA LM
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thnaks for sharing - great find - congrats
    Coins & Currency
  • jedmjedm Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are fantastic! Are all of those the "foreign coins" that were referred to?
    Are all of those the "foreign coins" that were referred to?

yes, they are, about 21-22 total with a sprinkling of what actually were foreign coins.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sure were adept at highlighting the human anatomy back then. Beaks and buns.
    Beautiful pieces of art.
  • nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭
    What a fun deal to have walk in!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file