Home U.S. Coin Forum

2016 Native American Dollar Design Candidates (Poll Added)

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
(Just copied this thread and added a poll)

I just saw these 2016 Native American Dollar design candidates in the Mint News Blog.
Most of them are pretty bad. However I REALLY LIKE #1 through #3 (which are all similar)
I suppose my favorite is #3 with that eagle design and the frosting that adds relief.

The ones from #4 on are just too literal for my taste (which is a mistake the USMint seems to make a lot these days)

I love the Eagle Design in #1 through #3 ... that is a GREAT new rendition of our national bird.
And I thought I had seen all the good eagle designs.
It almost has an art deco like appeal (something you might have seen in the 1920's or 1930's, which is probably why I like it)

Just curious which design you would vote for?

My vote is for #3 or #1 or #2 as alternates -- any of the top 3 would be fine with me.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just let an Native American artist create the design?? This design by committee never produces real art. Cheers, RickO
  • WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not just let an Native American artist create the design?? This design by committee never produces real art. Cheers, RickO >>

I love that idea!
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of the above - all very uninspired clipart designs.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whats with all the world war 2 themes? Haven't they made about 50 boring coins dealing with that already?

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whats with all the world war 2 themes? Haven't they made about 50 boring coins dealing with that already? >>

This coin is honoring the "code talkers" in WW1 and 2.

From Wikipedia ...

Code talkers were people who used obscure languages as a means of secret communication during wartime. The term is now usually associated with the United States soldiers during the world wars who used their knowledge of Native-American languages as a basis to transmit coded messages. In particular, there were approximately 400-500 Native Americans in the United States Marine Corps whose primary job was the transmission of secret tactical messages. Code talkers transmitted these messages over military telephone or radio communications nets using formal or informally developed codes built upon their native languages. Their service improved communications in terms of speed of encryption at both ends in front line operations during World War II.

The name code talkers is strongly associated with bilingual Navajo speakers specially recruited during World War II by the Marines to serve in their standard communications units in the Pacific Theater. Code talking, however, was pioneered by Choctaw Indians serving in the U.S. Army during World War I. These soldiers are referred to as Choctaw code talkers.

Other Native American code talkers were deployed by the United States Army during World War II, including Cherokee, Choctaw, Lakota[1] Meskwaki, and Comanche soldiers. Soldiers of Basque ancestry were used for code talking by the U.S. Marines during World War II in areas where other Basque speakers were not expected to be operating.

Navajo was an attractive choice for code use because few people outside the Navajo themselves had ever learned to speak the language. Virtually no books in Navajo had ever been published.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not just let an Native American artist create the design?? This design by committee never produces real art. Cheers, RickO >>

Sounds like a good idea to me.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>None of the above - all very uninspired clipart designs. >>

Lance.
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts about ALL of the designs:

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    << Why not just let an Native American artist create the design?? This design by committee never produces real art. Cheers, RickO >>

Because a Native American artist with even just a modicum of talent is likely to come up with a design that puts to shame the designs that committee has been approving for this series and commems.

CG
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Because a Native American artist with even just a modicum of talent is likely to come up with a design that puts to shame the designs that committee has been approving for this series and commems.

CG >>

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    They keep coming up with garbage like this they need to get new jobs somewhere doing something productive.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

image And think we all would take more interest in the series. Small dollars seem to be a loser all around.

• << <i>

<< <i>

CG >>

image >>

image Would love to see what The Big Chief Will Sampson would come up with. Most know him from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Col. J might recall him from a previous Oregonian/Keysian incarnation via Nicholson/McClaine image but Sampson was an accomplished painter.

Eric
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted for "none of the above"! I agree with all of the other detesters, but it really doesn't matter to me what they do because I don't buy "ANY" of mint crap anyway!

I am convinced there will "NEVER" "EVER" be another pretty coin made here in the good ole USA!!!!image

Those days are gone forever!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This series has loser written all over it.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The US Mint is still fighting World War II.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Youre on to something. With all the novel stuff ( Guitar shaped , Eiffel Tower shaped, Painted, Jeweled, Multi Metal, etc )
    coming out of foreign mints, its like a World Coin War.

Let them keep lobbing out crap product. We can all just walk away. image
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My thoughts about ALL of the designs:

image >>

Ditto!

When I scrolled down and saw the tops of the coin I thought hey now and then it moved to the bottom. Same old Mint. Indians in helmets. Mediocrity on parade.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    I think the basic problem with the Mint designers is the fact that they have decided it is there role to sort of preach instead of inspire. Of course you cannot discount the ministers of p.c in Washington who play a big part. I am convinced that one day there will be a coin that has an image of a button on it that says "reset" in Russian and I am sure the words will still mean "overcharge".
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>None of the above - all very uninspired clipart designs. >>

Lance. >>

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's stupid to put the code talker designs on these coins.

The code talkers had US Mint medals, leave it at that.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares what's on a dollar coin (prez or native american)?

I was giving dollar coins away to neighborhood kids as prizes for a good while. I never was able to convince them that those things were really money.

Beat the dead horse to a bloody pulp: get rid of the paper dollar.
    I suspect that many of those who design these coins have no understand or appreciation of the history of our coinage.

• << <i>I suspect that many of those who design these coins have no understand or appreciation of the history of our coinage. >>

...and in some cases, art itself.

Eric
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like some others have stated, let a Native American design a Code Talkers coin and get their perspective on it. And should there be a Code Talker coin? Most certainley. How many lives did it save we will never know. And most people don't even know what a code talker is. I think that there has been only one movie about it and it can't recall much being said about it on the history channel.
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

+1
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I love that idea! >>

Here is a Native American silver dollar:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file