Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's 2014 ATLANTA ANA Show Report w/lots of pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
I’ve never been to Georgia before and was really looking forward to seeing Atlanta. I also checked the weather reports twice before I left so I would know how many layers of clothes and coats I would need to bring! Luckily, the weather was quite mild compared to the week before when all the snow storms were pounding that area of the country.

I left beautiful sunny SoCal early Wednesday morning. I’m always in awe when we head into the skies and fly over the beautiful California coastline

Even though I try to use the same airline so I can collect points for upgrades, this time I was flying on Delta airlines because they happened to have a direct flight to Atlanta. I got settled into my seat and was listening to my audio book when the airline safety video appeared on the tv monitor on the back of the seat in front of me. It caught my attention because it had some very colorful characters, wild-haired rockers, etc., giving the usual spiel about airline procedures, but what really caught my attention was seeing Alf! I’m sure many of you won’t remember him, but he had his own sitcom several years ago and was quite funny!

About 4 hours later, we were heading in Atlanta!

Nina from GreatCollections.com was landing shortly after me I, and since Rick Snow was arriving the same afternoon as me and was getting a car, he graciously agreed to tote me and Nina from the airport to our hotels. Nina’s plane was a half hour after mine, and Rick’s plane was about 1 ½ hours after Nina’s. So I found a TGI Fridays and grabbed a glass of wine and snacks. When Nina arrived, we had a couple margaritas while we waited for Rick’s plane to land.

We even took a double selfie photo – I held the camera while Nina tapped the button!

The Renaissance Hotel is a beautiful hotel. It was the host hotel and is connected to the convention center. This is a view of the lobby and the glass elevators.

After getting settled, we met for dinner at the hotel bar and found several other dealers doing the same thing, including John from CRO!

I recently discovered (thanks to my kids!) the tasty world of Whisky Fireballs! Oh my! These things taste just like hot tamale candy, no kidding! So I bought around of these because Rick and John hadn’t ever tried them before. Everyone agreed they were very very good!

We also enjoyed listening to this young lady sing and play guitar in the bar area.

Since exhibit set up time was 7am the next morning, it was soon time to turn in and get ready for the show!

Thursday morning came quickly! I headed over to the show and arrived at 7am. The lobby was pretty much empty at that time, as was the bourse.

But I was glad to be there early so I could set up my exhibit. I recently acquired a few new pieces that I wanted to add to my exhibit so I spent the week before the show reorganizing and expanding it into 7 cases. So I was glad when they gave the exhibitors an extra hour to set up before the bourse opened to the dealers. It usually takes me about 2 hours to set up my exhibit which, and then another 2 hours to set up my table.

I know I’ve shown photos of my exhibit in past show reports, but since I added some very cool pieces, I thought I’d post them again. However, I will certainly understand if you want to skip over these photos!

(I fixed the pocket mirror that was tipped over before the cases were locked.)

Dealer set up was from 8am to 1pm and there was a lot of dealer activity during that time.

And it wasn’t long after the show opened to the public until the first forum member stopped by my table – and look who it was – Nick/Lochness and his adorable little boy! We also made plans to meet up later that night so we could listen to him play in his band.

Another forum member, Bryan Steger, also stopped by with this wonderful Ridge Mazzoni! He came by later that day just as I was uncorking his wine – needless to say, we shared a glass of this very tasty wine.

I took a few minutes to walk around the bourse and see what I could find that was interesting.

The Saddle Ridge gold hoard that was just discovered in Northern California was also on display at Kagin’s table and was very popular!

These were the cans the gold had been stored in and the stick they used to dig with

A dealer friend showed me these large bills, I’d never held a $1,000 bill before.

This is a very cool top pop 1 cent pattern

There was a booth who was selling these beautiful playing cards

The 1913 Liberty Nickel was on display in the ANA exhibit area

As well as the 1804 Dollar

And lots of gold!

The very first Gatling gun was also on display In the ANA exhibit area

After the show closed on Thursday, we went to dinner at Ruth Chris Steakhouse

Of course, we had some amazing wine to go with the amazing steak and lobster bisque!

After dinner, we headed over to Stevie’s Live Music to watch Nick/Lochness perform in his band. They were fantastic! And Nick not only sang, but he played the guitar, keyboard, and drums! He was really good and we loved all the blues songs!

It was “open mike” night so the guy on the far left just took out his guitar an began playing with the band. He was really good!

Here’s a little video clip of Nick and his band (I thought the tall skinny guy in the middle looked a little like Mike Wolf on American Pickers)!

[URL=http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq139/thepennylady/2014 03 Atlanta ANA/IMG_4242_zps50a86eea.mp4]image[/URL]

They had these very cool old musical instruments hanging on the wall all around the bar

Our group – we all had a great time – thank you Nick!!!

Friday started out slowly but business soon picked up. However, most dealers reported strong wholesale but poor retail sales.

Forum member Dentuck/Dennis Tucker stopped by to say hi

More forum members stopped by, but unfortunately, I left my list of names at the show, so I sincerely apologize for not listing their names!

A very cute little YN who was working on the treasure trivia hunt

PCGS folks

NGC folks

Greg Hannigan and Rick Beale

On Friday night, we headed over to Ray’s Steak and Seafood restaurant on the lake just a couple exits up the freeway.

They had a great selection of wine!

This is the wine we went with – both were very different from each other, one was pre-dinner, and the other went really well with dinner!

During dinner, we could hear a band playing some great music in the bar area so after dinner, we decided to stay and listen to them before heading back to the hotel. They were really good and we enjoyed all the songs they played, many from the 70’s area which I particularly love!

Dennis/Dennis88

Rick Snow/Eagle Eye

Ron

Me

No, we weren’t toasted – the flash was just really bright!

As the new president of WIN (Women in Numismatics), I’m hoping to revitalize the club and do a little revamping and remodeling of our website, club flyer, add a Facebook presence, organize social mixers, etc. We have some great people on our board and I am very excited about the future of WIN! So we had lots of things to discuss at our board meeting which meant being there Saturday morning at 7:30am, followed by our general meeting at 9:00. By the way, we’re going to host our first social mixer with free hors devours during the Central States show in Chicago/Schaumberg on Thursday after the show at the Renaissance hotel bar (The Gather). It’s open to anyone interested in being part of and/or supporting WIN.

After our board and general meetings, I headed over to the show and was pleased to see registration was very busy and there was quite a crowd waiting to enter the show!

At 11:30am I headed over to the exhibit awards reception. I had already found out my exhibit won 1st place in class which made it eligible for Best in Show. So during the awards presentation, I was very pleased to find out I also won the People’s Choice award, and 1st runner up for the Best in Show!

The Best in Show award went to a wonderful exhibit about the history of Georgia money (very appropriate since we were in Atlanta!). He had about 10 cases of various Georgia notes.

When the awards presentation was over, I went over to the exhibit area and was so surprised to see there were several people viewing my exhibit! I sort of stood around and just listened to their comments. Knowing that people enjoy what you created is what makes exhibiting worth all the work and time in organizing it, writing the stories, keeping it updated, transporting it, setting it up, and taking it down.

The little girl in this picture is 10-year old Miriam and she put together a great exhibit on Indian cents – she won 1st in her class.

Mike/MFH and Glen Holsonbake/PonyExpress

Even though it was a busy show, as I mentioned above, it was not a great retail show. I did buy some great coins, including some beautiful toned proofs, and several other great coins for my inventory. Here are iPhone photos of the toned coins I bought – of course, these photos do not do these beauties justice!

And here are all my Atlanta newps (I know you’re thinking, what the heck are all those stickers for? Well, they actually serve a very helpful purpose. The red stickers are for pretty toned coins, the blue ones are for proofs, and the round green sticker is for an error or variety. This system really helps my customers be able to quickly find the type of coin they are looking for without having to search and read each coin label.)

There were lots of kids on Saturday doing the treasure trivia and stopping by my table for their trivia question/answer. And I also had lots of people looking at coins at the same time, so it made for a very busy day. But soon it was time to pack up my booth, and then my exhibit, and head to the airport.

Since I hadn’t really gotten to see much of the city part of Atlanta, as we drove to the airport, the taxi driver was really nice to point out several city “landmarks” throughout or drive.

Once at the airport, I found a nice little bar near my gate where I could relax for the couple hours I had before my flight. Shortly after I got there, guess who wanders into the same little place – several of the wonderful folks from ANA who work so hard to put on these shows for us!

Then I settled into my seat on the plane for the 4+ hour flight home. Bye-bye Atlanta….

Me so happy to be going home!

Hello rainy wet Orange County!

Awwwwww – at home all comfy and cozy!!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, great pix, (love the food pix, even), and your exhibit looked really amazing.

Sorry I missed your first visit to my home state! Of course I haven't been up there to Hotlanta since the ANA show in '07. I really must get out more.

I probably should've done something like this with the England metal detecting trip. More along the lines of your report, with still photos. I concentrated too much on video, and not a lot of it turned out too great.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good show. I've always found Atlanta frustrating and I'm impressed you've kept in good spirits.

Sort of surprised, but pleasantly so to see your beautiful 74' NEWP Indian which I had owned shortly. Found it raw in November and after getting it graded parted with it at the FUN show, sadly, upon liquidation of my Indian collection. I was struck by that coin's great luster in addition to wonderful color for whoever ends up the lucky owner.

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Enjoyed the report. image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report - thanks for being so faithful in posting them! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    You are the greatest, girlfriend. I haven't been to many shows lately so I look forward to your trip reports.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Nice report, Charmy!
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Always love the photos!

We used to get Fireball from our liquor representative for free. It's amazing how well it caught on everywhere! Needless to say it's not free anymore!

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read as usual.

Great looking Pattern.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love your reports Charmy! Very cool pieces and old playing cards... Lots of cool coins....
    Thank you for always taking the time for your posts... I enjoy them so much!

ABimage
  • Another great report! I was wondering about the buzz around the Hoard.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to see a proper photograph of the 1916 PR Lincoln on here sometime. Looks killer.
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love all of your reports, and I appreciate all of the effort you put in to them! image
    Where do you get all of the time and energy to participate in so many activities?
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again for a fun report. Also kudos for including the Saddle Ridge paper and displayed coins. I noticed all three cans on display had lids and appeared to maintain their integrity. Did you learn whether the buried treasure in these three cans were found without dirt getting into them or did the person burying them add dirt into the cans with the coins?
  • bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    Great report, felt like I was there.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy and some very nice wines.... I never tire of seeing your Penny Display..and it is very deserving of all the awards. Interesting playing cards...another of my collecting areas. Cheers, RickO
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was trying to stop by and say hi, but Charms had them lined up about 6 deep when I did my 2 walk-bys on Saturday.
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great reportimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    It was great to finally meet you in person, Charmy! Thank you for sharing
    your report, and also for putting together a great numismatic exhibit. The
    "Penny Potpourri" is something every collector should explore if they have
    an opportunity.

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Great report as always. I really wanted to go the ATL show since I live in Ga but it didn't happen this year. Glad you had a good safe time here in God's country.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another super report.
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    my youngest daughter moved to Georgia,and now I feel like I visited......I remember Alf...he ate one of my cats image
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report.

Congratulations on the wins on the exhibit. I think coming in second to that incredible presentation of Georgia notes is the best anyone could have done. People's Choice was well deserved.

Also, congratulations on becoming the President of WIN. I recently re-joined - you should too (regardless of your gender). Charmy's leadership skills will really help the organization which is now about 20 years old. Shake it up! She plans to make it more about the joys of numismatics from their memerships perspective.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Charmy for another of your fact and pic filled show report. Love 'em all.

Mike
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great report and photos as usual. Thanks Charmy!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice gold an wicked nice notes there. i like
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff!
    ...do you know how much those cool playing cards were going for?....
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Charmy.
    Lance.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.
    I enjoy these very much.
    I know they're a lot of work for you and I don't take it for granted.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone.

Coppercolor, Regarding the 1874, I'm thinking about keeping it for my own collection since it has more vibrant colors than the one I have, plus it matches the 1874 error I also have. Here is the one I currently have:

D, I'm kind of glad the fireball whiskey is not free - I love them too much!

Justlooking, on Saturday, there was a long line just to get to see the gold hoard! and I heard nothing about the dirt in the can being added.

WildIdea, a proper Todd-photo of the 1916 proof will be up on my website later this week - it is indeed a killer coin!!

Thisnamztaken, I seem to have lots of energy the first couple days of a show, but by the third day of the show, I am beat, and when I get home it takes me a couple days to become a human being again!

DrBuster, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you, Saturdays are tough because that's when all the kids come in for the treasure trivia so I am usually extra busy working with them as well as customers.

Dentuck, it was great to finally meet you as well - you take a nice photo!

Rick, thank you so much for always being so supportive and being my wingman at the exhibit presentations, you're the best! And also, thank you for supporting WIN, I am indeed hoping to help revitalize this very worthwhile organization. We would love to have more male members, as well as female members of course. I will be happy to answer questions or give out information to anyone interested in supporting and participating in WIN. And don't forget, we are having our first social mixer at 7pm on Thursday, April 24, during the Central States show.

Seattle, the playing cards are quality reproductions and were selling for $10 per deck. They also had a variety box for $150. I would have bought a box of them but didn't have room in my suitcase due to the awards plaques.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your exhibit wins, you packed a lot of history and interesting items into it.
    For some reason I always finish your show reports feeling hungry... and thirsty.... image
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Charmy.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again everyone. For a little fun, I was wondering if anyone can point out the latest three pieces I added to this exhibit?
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the GREAT report Charmy. Your reports may just be better than being there.
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report. Thanks!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It's good to see Charmy made it to Atlanta then back home to L.A. all in one piece...

Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file