Home U.S. Coin Forum

Northwest Money Show; Brooklyn Center, MN. March 14-16, 2014

The Northwest Coin Club's 80th annual show is two weeks away. Time to post it on the boards...

Northwest Money Show

March 14-16
Fri. 2-7PM
Sat. 10AM-6PM
Sun. 10AM-3PM

Earle Brown Heritage Center
Brooklyn Center, Minnesota

Northwest Coin Club

NWCC Money Show
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I will be set up all three days. Stop by and say hi!
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a ski-rack outside? All the best. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    TTT. Less than one week away...
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a dealer list? I can't find one on the website and based on the new laws passed in MN I was wondering how many dealers will be in attendance and who they are.
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    We'll be there all three days.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • are any of you guys setting up, going to submit any coins to NGC in the near future? i have a '99 W gold coin that i'd like graded at NGC.

thanks
  • TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have a dealer list? I can't find one on the website and based on the new laws passed in MN I was wondering how many dealers will be in attendance and who they are. >>

I will be setup all three days. I am really looking forward to the show.

I'm a member of the sponsoring coin club, and if memory serves from the reports at the meetings. They were able to sell all the tables, although some long time dealers were scared away by the new law. This allowed some dealers on the waiting list to get tables.

I personally don't think any of the dealers that canceled had a legitimate reason to fear the new law. The MN coin bullion dealer law specifically exempts coin shows, and even if you were selling outside of the show, the licenses aren't required until July 1st anyway. But I'm not a lawyer and they have to make their own decisions.

Another example of government making it harder, not easier, to do business. It's a shame.

I emailed both contacts on the website trying to get a dealer list with no success at this time. I am actually excited to see some new dealers at the show. I am hoping for some fresh material. I will miss Greater Milwaukee Coin. Their website doesn't list the show this year.

<< <i>are any of you guys setting up, going to submit any coins to NGC in the near future? i have a '99 W gold coin that i'd like graded at NGC.

thanks >>

I'm an NGC authorized dealer, and will be setting up at the show, but not sure when I am going to be sending in my next batch of coins. Stop by and say hi at least.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the NW?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

<< <i>That's the NW?? image >>

Not sure I understand your post, the Northwest Money Show starts tomorrow that is what this thread is about.
    I went to the Northwest Money show today. Waited in line to get in at 2:00. One of my dealer buddies told me that it was the most people he has ever seen waiting to get into the show. Anyone in the Minneapolis area should take a ride over to the show. There are a lot of new dealers that are set up and the place was very busy for the few hours I was there. Dealers were paying 16X face on silver. I had a great transaction with Tomthecoinguy. Sat at his table for about 20 minutes and was very impressed!

I was a little surprised at the lack of interest in MS69 graded silver eagles. My son had a few to sell and he asked all over the bourse. The best offer was $30 which seemed low to me. One dealer told him that it cost up to $30 just to get the coin graded and he should just keep them. Most offers were in the $24 to $28 range. A few dealers said they would just crack the coins out which I thought was funny. One wholesaler told me that all they really want are the 70's since that is what has the collector interest. He ended up selling one for $30 and trading the rest. I love watching how dealers work with a teenager. They all were very nice and loved the back and forth with him. He is quite the negotiator. At one table, he had all the customers and the dealers laughing with his wheeling and dealing image

All in all, it seemed like the show was really busy with lots of buying and selling. I ended up selling about $1,300 worth of odds and ends. I didn't find any bust quarters that I liked. It's getting tougher and tougher to find nice bust quarters in VF that I don't already have.

I did find Lakesammman's comment very funny. The show is in the northwest of the twin cities but no where close to the NW of the U.S. image

<< <i>I went to the Northwest Money show today. Waited in line to get in at 2:00. One of my dealer buddies told me that it was the most people he has ever seen waiting to get into the show. Anyone in the Minneapolis area should take a ride over to the show. There are a lot of new dealers that are set up and the place was very busy for the few hours I was there. Dealers were paying 16X face on silver. I had a great transaction with Tomthecoinguy. Sat at his table for about 20 minutes and was very impressed!

I was a little surprised at the lack of interest in MS69 graded silver eagles. My son had a few to sell and he asked all over the bourse. The best offer was $30 which seemed low to me. One dealer told him that it cost up to $30 just to get the coin graded and he should just keep them. Most offers were in the $24 to $28 range. A few dealers said they would just crack the coins out which I thought was funny. One wholesaler told me that all they really want are the 70's since that is what has the collector interest. He ended up selling one for $30 and trading the rest. I love watching how dealers work with a teenager. They all were very nice and loved the back and forth with him. He is quite the negotiator. At one table, he had all the customers and the dealers laughing with his wheeling and dealing image

All in all, it seemed like the show was really busy with lots of buying and selling. I ended up selling about $1,300 worth of odds and ends. I didn't find any bust quarters that I liked. It's getting tougher and tougher to find nice bust quarters in VF that I don't already have.

I did find Lakesammman's comment very funny. The show is in the northwest of the twin cities but no where close to the NW of the U.S. image >>

Thanks for coming by my table, it was nice to meet you. I also appreciated the transaction, and also appreciated your patients as I looked up the coin, and helped a couple other customers that came by.

I would agree with your dealer friend that the show seemed busier than the past couple. The coin club tried a whole bunch of new things to promote the show, including billboards, and social media. I think it may have paid off, we will see if the good attendance holds up today. I think part of the strategy of the coin club was to increase attendance, which will hopefully encourage more dealers, which in turn will encourage more turnout. Hopefully we can get into a nice upward spiral.

I love it when young people come to my table. It reminds me of when I was young and going around to tables. It is also nice to see the next generation showing an interest in the hobby. One thing really cool about this show, is the dealers all donate items, and there is a free youth auction on Sunday. Some dealers have been very generous in the past, including CC dollars, and a gold coin. It is open to young people 7 to 14 years old. http://www.northwestcoinclub.com/News/Pages/Youth_Coin_Auction.html

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it will be a neat show, would love to attend but here in Houston.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
    Updates on the show for Saturday? How was the attendance?

<< <i>Updates on the show for Saturday? How was the attendance? >>

It was just nuts. There were so many people and they all seemed to be buying. I didn't talk to a single dealer that had a bad show, and you know how we dealers like to complain.

On Friday I heard someone speculate that we were having such a good show because some gun show started on Saturday, and they figured more people might be coming to the coin show Friday to save their Saturday for the gun show. Turns out Saturday was much busier than Friday. Interestingly, a customer told me this afternoon, that they had just come from the gun show, and it was really busy there as well.
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Definitely very busy today. I arrived a little after 11AM and saw only two open spots in the parking lot. Upon entering the floor, the place was packed. I took some pics tonight and will post a mini show report tomorrow...
    I just wanted to follow up with a report from Sunday. The final day was extremely busy, it ended up being the second busiest day for me just behind Saturday. This is really saying a lot because I thought Friday was a great day, and Sundays are traditionally slower at coin shows.

Throughout the weekend I would ask other dealers how their show is going. All weekend almost of the dealers said they were having a great show. On Sunday morning I found the first dealer that told me he was having a slow show. Interestingly, when I talked to him at the end of the show he said that he had a really busy Sunday and he was very pleased.

One of the most fun times on Sunday, was when the youth auction let out. It was fun having the young kids walking around with their new treasures, and a few showed them off to me. I noticed one of the young people had gotten a Canadian $1 series 1954, on a hunch I asked if I could take a look at it. It turned out to be the "demon face" variety. The young person did not know about that variety, so it was fun showing him the face within the queen's hair. He really thought that was cool.

In short the show was really fun, and really busy, I cannot wait for next year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file