Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Season's Rippings - 1973 Topps Rack

Merry Christmas to all on this chilly morning in NY!

Ok time to get serious here. Need some minty fresh star power!

image[/URL]

Yes I know Aaron is showing - but it's only Total Base Leaders - it's getting ripped!
Nikklos

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    LOVE watching your RIPS ... not so sure I agree with RIPPING one with an Aaron on top (I am sure an Aaron collector would pay a nice premium for it ... which would enable you to buy another '73 and more unopened to RIP).

HOWEVER, I do agree that it's a COLD morning here in New York (Long Island for me). Low 20s with a wind that makes it feel even colder. So we went from the mid 60s a couple of days ago to THIS!

MERRY CHRISTMAS and GOOD LUCK with yet another rip. Thanks for sharing.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Always loved these cards - too bad they're o/c.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • You are a brave man!

I agree with Dbones that an Aaron collector would have paid a premium for that.

Too bad on the centering though to be expected going by the centering of the top cards.
    Long Island for me too Doug! Baby it's cold outside!

I know I know guys. But come on its Total Base leaders!

Pinning a lot of hope on these two beauties. Tough cards. No 10s. Hegan is even tough in a 9. They look real nice.

image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Wow!! Looks like a nice centered cell. Fingers crossed on some minty cards from this pack.

I enjoy those leader cards as well.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    [some star power (albeit o/c)

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Nikklos
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Wow that pack was full of great HOFers. thanks
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the Seaver and Bench cards! Centered just a smidge too high but very sharp! Hegan looks gem!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    Great star power. Thanks for sharing!
    I agree ... star power was amazing! However, that Hegan might be the best one for you. As you mentioned, a toughie even in a "9". Get that baby slabbed in a "PSA 9" and you have a $275.00 card!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Awesome guys! I'll post a couple more pics from this rack when I get back to home base. Still a bunch of ripping to do!
    Nikklos
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that Hagen is a money card if it 9s. I'm worried about the lower left corner though.
    I'll post a better scan of Hegan!
    Nikklos
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Any issues with the Cash? It looks perfect in the scan. You really did hit some major star power. Good job with guts and cards.
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braver man than I. I would have been finding an Aaron collector who needed a 73 rack image
    A little disappointed because the Hegan does show a touch in the lower left like Gemint pointed out.

image[/URL]

But upon closer inspection this Cash gets better and better.

image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff

Congrats!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting. Some nice cards there!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    great looking cash thanks for the rip
  • That bench is my favorite card of this set aside from Munson. Love the catcher action shots.
    Nice rip. Good luck with any subs
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pulls Chris!!!

Now just tell me where you are on the Island and I'll rescue what is left of the packs you brought up to amuse yourself. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see some nice 73s.

Always enjoy the rips.
    Mike
    Thanks guys for the kind words! Wish I could've posted some more awe-inspiring pulls for you all.

Nothing like ripping packs while holed up on a chilly Holiday night on LI, Mike. You should try it!

By the way, way too cold in these parts. Need to get back to The MIA ASAP!

Anyhow, rounding out the '73 rack, some relatively nice examples.

image[/URL]
    imageimage[/URL]
    Nikklos
    And I just want everyone to know

That you should never rip a '74 Cello

image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And I just want everyone to know

That you should never rip a '74 Cello. >>

Finally some words of wisdom!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to understand this whole "ripping of vintage packs" thing.

I understand it's fun. I understand Grote15 enjoys building sets this way.

However, when I'm able to purchase thirty 1972 commons that all look like this

at a show for about 8% of what a '72 rack pack would cost, clearly even beautiful centered commons do not make this financially worthwhile.

So is the idea basically, have fun, pray for a PSA 9 quality star, and expect a huge monetary loss?

Paulmaul - definitely a valid question. It's like blackjack. If you have fun at the table, if you happen to break even, you're still up.

Ripping / subbing - the whole process - is fun. Personally, I would get no enjoyment from buying already graded singles. I know I'm in the minority.

A couple weeks ago, I sold 4 commons I didn't give a hoot about for a grand. Have plenty more like that and PSA10 1/1s all from ripping.

Am I break even? Most probably not. Not sure. Can't be sure. But in the end, I've had a lot of fun and built a nice collection to boot - all ripped and self-submitted.

Sorry this went on awhile but always wanted to get that perspective out there.
    Nikklos
    Interesting. I was wondering about low pop commons. Seems like they're low pop for a reason, inherently poor centering etc. So pulling low pop 10's seems even less likely than for stars. But if you're able to even come close to breaking even, it sure is fun. I understand the fun of submitting, I'm with you there. I just prefer submitting stuff I've gotten raw cheaply, as it's less of a gamble.
    I won't speak for Chris, but for me ripping vintage packs is all about the enjoyment of pulling that mint to gem mint low pop common or mint star card. And as an unopened collector, I also find that ripping vintage packs provides great research and info on what to look for when handling unopened packs in general. If you are loking for the most cost effective way to collect, buying already graded cards is the way to go, but for me that is less enjoyable a pursuit. Buying raw cards is also an option, but let's face it, the number of sellers accurately describing raw lots of low pop or star cards as mint or gem mint and not grading the cards themselves are few and far between, as well. Even the Luzinski card David scanned is no lock for a PSA 9 if submitted, and even if it grades Mint 9, after grading fees, its rerturn is less than $20.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>I won't speak for Chris, but for me ripping vintage packs is all about the enjoyment of pulling that mint to gem mint low pop common or mint star card. And as an unopened collector, I also find that ripping vintage packs provides great research and info on what to look for when handling unopened packs in general. If you are loking for the most cost effective way to colect, buying already graded cards is the way to go, but for me that is less enjoyable a pursuit. Buying raw cards is also an option, but let's face it, the number of sellers accurately describing raw lots of low pop or star cards as mint or gem mint and not grading the cards themselves are few and far between, as well. >>

This is the general sentiment with current stuff as well. You can buy a box for $100 and you might hit something better but chances are against it. Yet that chance of hitting something special is what keeps us busting.

<< <i>

<< <i>And I just want everyone to know

That you should never rip a '74 Cello. >>

Finally some words of wisdom!!! image >>

LOL, that is generally true for 70s cellos...HOWEVER (LOL), the 74 pack is 22 cards and in the thicker 70s cellos like 73 and 74, the cards towards the middle are generally better preserved. Even the 77 cello I ripped the other night had some very sharp cards. It all depends on how tight the wrap and whether the wrap is pulled tight against the corners.

<< <i> And as an unopened collector, I also find that ripping vintage packs provides great research and info on what to look for when handling unopened packs in general. >>

Agreed, it eats up some money but I've done this too with wacky packages unopened.

<< <i>Buying raw cards is also an option, but let's face it, the number of sellers accurately describing raw lots of low pop or star cards as mint or gem mint and not grading the cards themselves are few and far between, as well. Even the Luzinski card David scanned is no lock for a PSA 9 if submitted, and even if it grades Mint 9, after grading fees, its rerturn is less than $20. >>

I never buy this stuff sight unseen, always at shows. Especially at smaller shows, not every dealer is willing to put in the time and effort to cherry pick everything they have.

The Luzinski I scanned, and all the others I got with it, are as or more likely 9's than anything I've seen ripped here. Nothing is a lock for a grade, but being able to examine the cards before buying sure leads to overall better results than opening packs. Granted, the lowest pop stuff is unlikely to be found this way, but it's not very likely to turn up in mint shape in packs either, that's why it's low pop.

I probably will not ever submit most of the really nice commons I have because I'm not selling them and it's not worth all the grading fees. I don't aspire to all-graded sets or re-selling. I just don't have much of a gambling mentality, so that's probably the biggest difference. I'd rather get as many nice commons as I can cheaply, and pay for the graded stars and low pops as needed.

I never buy this stuff sight unseen, always at shows. Especially at smaller shows, not every dealer is willing to put in the time and effort to cherry pick everything they have.

The Luzinski I scanned, and all the others I got with it, are as or more likely 9's than anything I've seen ripped here. Nothing is a lock for a grade, but being able to examine the cards before buying sure leads to overall better results than opening packs. Granted, the lowest pop stuff is unlikely to be found this way, but it's not very likely to turn up in mint shape in packs either, that's why it's low pop.

I probably will not ever submit most of the really nice commons I have because I'm not selling them and it's not worth all the grading fees. I don't aspire to all-graded sets or re-selling. I just don't have much of a gambling mentality, so that's probably the biggest difference. I'd rather get as many nice commons as I can cheaply, and pay for the graded stars and low pops as needed.

You are correct in that you are likely to spend less compiling a set your way, though for some collectors that is not as exciting a method. If we are going to approach the hobby from an analytical standpoint based on sound financial advice, though, why spend hundreds of dollars on unopened packs when you can just buy higher grade singles and/or graded cards for a fraction of the price? Many collectors think paying huge premiums on unopened stuff is insane, too, yet many others snap product right up as soon as it's listed for sale on the BBCE site.

I will also add that despite the odds, there are some occasions in which you can come out way ahead when ripping vintage unopened, too. I still recall fondly the 75 mini wax box I ripped about 2 years ago in which I pulled no fewer than 9 PSA 10s, including a 1/1 and a couple of 1/2s. Those are the experiences that make this hobby so exciting, imo, and worth pursuing. The PSA 10 1978 Pete Rose and the PSA 9 1978 Murray RC I pulled from racks~when you pull a card like that and self-submit it and get the card back from PSA in the holder, for me personally, as a baseball card collector, those cards are worth even more to me than VCP.

Wow. Tim. You are speaking very well for me! I couldn't say it any better.
    Nikklos
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Long Island for me too Doug! Baby it's cold outside!

I know I know guys. But come on its Total Base leaders!

Pinning a lot of hope on these two beauties. Tough cards. No 10s. Hegan is even tough in a 9. They look real nice.

image[/URL] >>

Looks like Hegan passed away yesterday. Bummer.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
    RIP Mr. Hegan.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>RIP Mr. Hegan. >>

+1

Geez, that is an uncanny coincidence..