Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Pcked up another Japanese Andre the Giant Wrestling Card, Hulk Hogan 1981 RC in here!!!

Thought this was a cool card as well

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Those are cool. What size are they?
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure, I only borrowed the scan to post. These were made in 1981 or near there.....
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Picked up some cool Japanese cards today

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    These would be awesome slabbed and they are in really nice condition.

There is a Harley Race and a Abdullah the Butcher in here, unsure of others but I know of those ten at the moment.

• << <i>These would be awesome slabbed and they are in really nice condition.

There is a Harley Race and a Abdullah the Butcher in here, unsure of others but I know of those ten at the moment. >>

Starting at the top going left to right, isn't number 3 Bob Backlund?
    Yes on Backlund, Race and Butcher are not pictured but they are in the set...........
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards. Is there a hogan in that set? A pre 82 hogan would really put these Japanese cards on the map
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    Unsure if this is 1981 or 1982

There 16 cards in the set as far as I know. Two different of Andre, Abdullah the Butcher, Tiger Mask ll and Inoki. Others are Dory Funk, Terry Funk, Giant Baba, Bob Backlund, Stan Hansen, Harley Race, Mil Mascaras and the Mascaras Brothers. Not sure of the year, but on the back of one of the cards I remember it was written that a certain wrestler won a certain belt in some month in 1981. So the cards could be from late 1981, but I am guessing 1982.
    Sumo man will have to confirm the checklist and dates.. But here is another card from this set. It's not a rookie since he has a 76 yamakatsu card but its a cool early Harley race card
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    A major breakthrough with this set. I discovered how they were distributed. These are the 1981 Japanese Bandai Popy cards. The cards were distributed in blister packs along with a soft vinyl (sofubi) wrestling character. Popy made thousands of these soft vinyl toys in the 1970s and 1980s and these are from the 10-figure Super Puroresu Series. See photos below. Bandai owned the Popy brand and I assume licensed from Fujiwara Productions the right to make the toys and print the cards.

I went searching for more of these cards that are still sealed with the figure and these are extremely expensive still sealed because of the popularity of collecting the figures. The figures themselves are ~$75 outside of the box. Put them still sealed in the blister pack and most of the prices jump to $150 to $200! Most of the Japanese who collected these as kids are now collecting them again as they get older I imagine. So finding unopened blister packs will be an expensive endeavor. It appears 3-5 cards are in each of the unopened blister packs.

Here are the 10 figures along with known cards we've found:

1. Abdullah the Butcher (Figure and 2 cards)
    2. Andre the Giant (Figure and 2 cards)
    3. Bob Backlund (Figure and 1 card)
    4. Dory Funk (Figure and 1 card)
    5. Terry Funk (Figure and 1 card)
    6. Harley Race (Figure and 1 card)
    7. Antonio Inoki (Figure and 2 cards)
    8. Mil Mascaras (Figure and 2 cards)
    9. Stan Hansen (Figure and 1 card)
    10. Hulk Hogan (Figure and ??? card)
    11. Giant Baba (No figure and 1 card)
    12. Tiger Mask (No figure and 2 cards)

Notice how all the wrestlers have their corresponding cards shown except Hogan. I'm skeptical that Hogan has a card in this set, but you never know.
    Wow, that is cool thanks for your research on this.
  • Just what this forum needs, more non sports threads in the spots card forum.
  • Very cool

<< <i>Just what this forum needs, more non sports threads in the spots card forum. >>

I'd say that wrestling cards are doing quite well and these are some key cards and will bring a nice return once they are on the market.
    Awesome to know there is a Hulk Hogan rookie card from 1981 in this set!
    That is pretty exciting! Now the hunt is on!
    Would there be any reason why hogan would be the only figure without a card?
    He has a card!
    Now it looks like Baba needs a figure and we'll be set!
    I wonder if the Tiger Mask is not in this set and is part of another?
    I have 32 of these at PSA now and just got poppage on a PSA DNA order so it will be a matter of time before I have all cards from this series in PSA slabs. That is pretty exciting to be honest with some great cards of Andre, The Funks, Abby, one of the only vintage cards of Stan Hansen, etc........

15 1 22226746 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1981 KAJIWARA PRODUCTIONS WRESTLING ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER SERIES "A"

16 1 22226747 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1981 KAJIWARA PRODUCTIONS WRESTLING ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER SERIES "B"

The 1981 Hogan card can be slabbed.....I'm sure that Eagles will be after that one for his RC collection now that there is a superior card to the 1981 oversize cutout.

Very cool! Are you going to get them reslabbed with the Popy name?
    Do you have any Funkor Backlund cards? Those seem like they are the rarest....along with Hogan.
    Awesome job with these... Discovering them, getting them graded ect... It's definitely a card I want now. I was down to literally 5 cards on my non major sport checklist that I needed... And was starting to move into the major sports.. Now it's up to 6. Can't wait to see scans of them in slabs.
    I have a few Backlunds and a few of the Funk cards....I'd like to get me a nice Stan Hansen.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

image >>

These look great in a slab. I remember reading wrestling magazines growing up at the newsstand and seeing photos of Abdullah The Butcher and being freaked out. This guy was nuts.

What a classic shot of him and The Sheik. Both used a foreign object to cut their opponent.
    Awesome! Heck of a find and they look great slabbed.
    Congrats! Those look very nice!