Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's September 2013 LONG BEACH SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let me first say that I LOVE the Long Beach show!! I really look forward to each show for several reasons, not the least of which is that I get to see and hang out with such great folks, from my local and far away dealer friends, to my regular customers, and to the great PCGS folks who work hard to make this show successful including selling out the entire bourse floor!

Set up, as usual, began at noon on Wednesday. The weather was gorgeous, warm and sunny! I arrived at the convention center before noon and parked in line at the back of the convention center and waited to be let into the loading dock area.

Right at noon, they let us all into the bourse floor and everyone began organizing and setting up their booths. After I was all set up, I headed over to the exhibit area next to the Long Beach Coin Cub table to set up my “Penny Potpourri” exhibit. (Unfortunately, they didn’t have any kind of sign designating the area for exhibits so it was a little difficult to find.) I previously printed photos of each exhibit case, and had placed all of the material for each case into large numbered Ziplock baggies to make setting up easier and quicker. After the Chicago ANA, I expanded my exhibit by adding a Love Token section and a few new Hobo and Capped pennies, so I now had six cases to fill.

Wednesday is when I do the majority of my buying, and this set up day was no exception. I am fortunate that several of the vest pocket dealers often make my table one of their first stops to show me their copper, so I have the opportunity to buy some nice quality pieces, both raw and certified. My only problem is controlling myself with what I buy because my eyes are always bigger than my bank account! Here are a few of the coins I bought at the show….

I then walked around the bourse to see visit some of my favorite booths and take some photos of the show. PCGS was hard at work from the get go!!!

Don Willis

The Central America shipwreck exhibit under construction

Then it was wine time - Joe Wargo came over and shared some of the wine he brought!

Towards the end of set up day, PCGS sponsors a nice taquito and beer buffet for all the dealers.

That night we headed over to our usual Wednesday night dinner spot – Café Piccolo’s – where each of us brings a nice bottle of wine and we all do wine tasting. I have to say that bottle of wine was great!

This is the bottle I brought – it was very yummy!

Here are the other wines we had…

Lots of wine and glasses!!

Alan Kreuzer of Castro Valley (sorry, I didn’t take a very good photo)

Karl Stephens and Don Ketterling

Me and Joanne Stephens

The show opened to the public on Thursday morning at 10am. A nice large crowd of collectors began streaming into the show and the show stayed busy until early afternoon. Most everyone said the show was quite active and they did a lot of business on Thursday, though there did seem to be less traffic than the typical Thursday traffic in the past.

I visited one of my favorite dealers who always has some great raw coins and happily came away with a nice group of raw copper

After things slowed down, I took photos around the bourse floor. The Central America shipwreck exhibit was very popular.

It was set up towards the back near the supply section – which also was very busy

I discovered why the bourse was always neat and clean!

In the afternoon after business died down, I opened up a bottle of wine and brought out the cheese and crackers.

Walter Ostromecki, the new ANA president, didn’t take me up on my offer of wine, but did enjoy the cheese and crackers!

Walter and Rick Snow - Rick didn’t hold back on the wine!

I finally got to meet Daniel Carr!

After the show closed, a large group of dealers headed over to usual Thursday night dinner spot – Naples Rib Company

The room in the back of the restaurant was reserved for our party which we fill up – following are photos of all the various dealers who were there

When the show opened on Friday, people slowly streamed in and it never seemed to fill up like it had on Thursday. Forum member Ken/Kreuger stopped by to say hi

I made sure to visit the wonderful ANA exhibit

ANACS folks

Vince Lacariere, Fremont Coin show bourse chair, hard at work

A dealer brought over this amazing coin but the price was a little too high for me!

For any of you who haven’t heard, PNG is sponsoring a great internship program. It includes the following:

- One Year Training Program for Numismatic Career Placement
- Online Learning From The University of Rare Coins on Numismatic Education
- Internships Consist Of 4 Three-Month Placements with Industry Organizations
- Housing and Travel Provided By The PNG at No Cost To The Interns
- Intern Salaries Will Be Paid By Each of the Host Dealers

You can find more information about it here: http://www.pngdealers.org/Promoting_Numismatic_Growth_Internship_Program.pdf

This is the Collector’s Corner computer program located inside the entrance to the bourse that helps you locate specific coins you may be looking for and which dealers might have them.

Taryn (of Expos Unlimited) has worked very hard to help make the Long Beach show the best it can be!

PCGS never stopped being busy!

Ron Guth/PCGS also stopped by to say hi!

Corbin is another tireless PCGS worker managing their website, including the forum!

David Lange/NGC just published a National Coin Album book: Coin Collecting Albums – A Complete History & Catalog Volume One: The National Coin Album & Related Products of Beistle, Raymond & Meghrig, (you can read more about it here: http://www.coinweek.com/books-2/pre-publication-offer-on-national-coin-album-book/)

The NGC table was also very busy!

After the show on Friday, I joined the same friends from Wednesday night for another wonderful dinner, this time just up the street on Pine at an Argentina restaurant called Gaucho Grill. It was a beautiful night and we were able to sit outside. Again, we each brought a bottle of wine to share.

I brought this red blend by Fess Parker (of Davey Crocket fame). I had never tried it before but it was highly recommended to me as a great “sleeper wine” – and he was right!

Alan Kreuzer, Joe Wargo, and Joanne Stephens

Karl Stephens and me

I had the rib-eye steak with a tomato garlic topping and sautéed spinach – mmmmmmmm!

On Saturday, Rick Snow showed me a coin he won in the auction – WOW!!! It is a beautiful and an amazingly rare pattern Indian cent

A coin dealer in the making!

Rob/RobKool (Long Beach Coin Club) and his adorable kids

The sports section was quite active with the celebrity autograph signing! Here are Tommy Lasorda and Darryl Strawberry (photos courtesy of PCGS)

Logan McKechnie of VAMS and More celebrating his birthday!

This photo of Logan kissing a beautiful young blonde is not exactly what it seems! That’s his gorgeous daughter Amanda!

Some of Logan’s fan club!

Steve Price/Penny Lane Coin and Logan

On Saturday, I was very pleased to learn that I had won First Place in the U.S. Coin category for my exhibit - whahoooo!

Overall, although I did quite a bit of buying and selling, this show was slower (selling-wise) than usual, especially on Saturday. Several dealers I spoke with agreed that this was more of a buying show, than selling and seemed off compared to the previous show. In any event, I enjoyed seeing some great coins cross my table, even the ones I couldn’t afford! The Long Beach show will always be my favorite show, and I look forward to the next one!

Next up is the Buena Park show this coming weekend, then the PCGS Invitational in a couple weeks!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• I love your exhibit photos, I saw them in illinois420's thread earlier and yours are less blurrier! Great report, I want to buy all those coins!!
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    Another terrific show report! Congratulations on the 1st Place on the Exhibit!
  • BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Great show report & picsimage

Thank you.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great report Charmy and a big congrats on winning the exhibit category again... All great pics!

ABimage
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Great report and I love all the pictures.
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, Charmy!! Love your collection of Penny Potpourri image
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Super report and photos!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super report, and a great wine selection.....will have to look for that 'Big Easy' wine.... Congratulations on winning the display contest, you certainly deserve it....Well Done!! Cheers, RickO
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that 43 D/D is copper, it's a steal! Must just be the lighting..... image

Thanks for the report - love the pics.

I used to own that 1864-L Alum. J361 - it's a very cool coin - congrats to the new owner. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Always a great read and pics. I look forward to every show report.

Mike
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Charmy for another great coin show report. Sure is nice to see so many older dealers are still working at selling coins. Your pictures bring back a lot of old memories of attending the Long Beach Show. Hope to see you here in Portland this next weekend.

It sounds like your diet routine went by the wayside. I find the only way I can lose weight is to avoid all alcohol. Need I mention I today bought 18 different wines to try?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very enjoyable report, Charmy. I used to attend a lot of Long Beach shows in the late 70's - early 80's... even one or two smaller shows they had on the Queen Mary. Love that 191? (just sitting there keeping sort of a "low profile") Hobo Lincoln cent in your exhibit.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the great report!

Larry

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You were in Long Beach?
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on winning your exhibit category. Great report.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic report. I swear, it's almost like I was there.

Thanks for putting these reports together - I know it must be time consuming, but they are much appreciated!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great report - Many thanksimageimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for another wonderful report. I hope to drop in to the LB show one of these days. You always make the shows look great. I hope you get a cut for getting more people to show up.

Richard
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!image
    Becky
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Great report as always, and as always got me thirsty image

Very cool seeing the aluminum J-361 IH pattern again that forum member Lakesammman owned back in the day.
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any show that Charmy attends is a show that it feels like I attend...because of her reports!! image

Charmy, I have a question: I notice that you almost never (perhaps just plain never?) purchase older Lincolns, Indian Head Cents, or Large Cents that are graded red. You seem to concentrate on BN and RB coins. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks.
    Mark

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great report as always, and as always got me thirsty image

Very cool seeing the aluminum J-361 IH pattern again that forum member Lakesammman owned back in the day. >>

I studied that coin during lot viewing for a few minutes and briefly contemplated a second mortgage image Awesome pattern!

And as always, great report Charmy, see you at Buena Park in a few days!

• It's always a pleasure to read your reports. Thank you for sharing them.

Congratulations on your much deserved exhibit award!

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much everyone! Once again, I really appreciate all the feedback and comments!! I am again honored to have received another award for me exhibit. Having others appreciate my exhibit really makes it a lot of fun to display it. I just never thought everyone else would like my little penny pieces like I do.

<< <i>Thanks Charmy for another great coin show report. Sure is nice to see so many older dealers are still working at selling coins. Your pictures bring back a lot of old memories of attending the Long Beach Show. Hope to see you here in Portland this next weekend.

It sounds like your diet routine went by the wayside. I find the only way I can lose weight is to avoid all alcohol. Need I mention I today bought 18 different wines to try? >>

Mozin, thank you - sorry I won't be in Portland this weekend since it conflicts with the Buena Park show. And my diet and wine fast gladly went by the wayside when I went on vacation back in August!

<< <i>You were in Long Beach? >>

Ha Roger! guess I need to do a better job of pestering you next time! image

<< <i>Super report, and a great wine selection.....will have to look for that 'Big Easy' wine.... >>

Ricko, yes you should give it a try - it really was a nice flavorful wine, about $37 a bottle in the store.

<< <i>I used to own that 1864-L Alum. J361 - it's a very cool coin - congrats to the new owner. >>

Laksammam, Wow, that is one amazing pattern that you had, and I was thrilled to be able to see and hold it.

<< <i>Charmy, I have a question: I notice that you almost never (perhaps just plain never?) purchase older Lincolns, Indian Head Cents, or Large Cents that are graded red. You seem to concentrate on BN and RB coins. Is there a reason for this? >>

Mark, yes, I and many of my customers prefer RB or BN copper for a couple reasons - of course, the premium price of red copper being the biggest reason. But also RB and BN coins, to me, have more character due to the different shades of toning, whereas red coins are simply red. Not that they aren't beautiful, they certainly are. It's just that I think a well struck, lustrous, pretty toned RB or BN coin is more attractive. Also, if you don't store a red copper coin properly, it can tone over time, thereby losing the premium paid for a full red coin.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red copper seems to be riskier than RB and BN copper. I'd expect that the protective BN surfaces buffer the coin from changing in appearance as much as red might.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful display Charmy. And thanks for another great report.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the report.
    Collecting since 1976.

• I was able to swing by and say "hi" but didn't get a chance to talk much as you were busy and I had to get back to work at HA image

(maybe next time!!) Very nice report & great pictures!!!!!

Blessings
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another awesome show report Charmy !!! Awesome display !!! & CONGRATS !!! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file