Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's 2013 SAN DIEGO COINARAMA Show Report w/lots of Pics!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
I apologize for getting this report posted a little late, but I’ve been focusing on preparing my exhibit for the Chicago ANA. I’m very anxious since this is the first time I’ve prepared an exhibit.

Anyway, I attended the San Diego Coinarama this past weekend, which also happened to be my hubby Lou’s birthday. So Lou joined me in San Diego on Friday so we could spend some time down town in San Diego’s historic Gaslamp District. So I hope you will indulge me a little because the first part of this show report will not be coin-related!

We arrived at our hotel in the early afternoon. Here is a view from the Hilton looking out over the 8 freeway.

Looking west towards the ocean

Looking east

We met my girlfriend Peggy and headed to the Gaslamp District.

Peggy works for a company that owns this Hard Rock Hotel, so we stopped by there for a drink.

Lou is a big Stevie Ray Vaughn fan and there was a display of SRV’s guitar in the lobby of the hotel.

The inside of the elevator was covered in large photo murals of various vintage rock idols.

The bar patio of the Hard Rock

Me and my hubby

Peggy and Lou

One of the main streets in the Gaslamp District

This is the San Diego Convention Center

Looking out towards Coronado Island

Then we went over to the Gas Lamp Strip Club – no, it’s not what you think! It’s a steak house where you cook your own steak on a large grill, along with everyone else. The steak was great, and it was fun chatting with the other restaurant patrons while you bbq’d your steak!

The GL Strip Club was right next to a famous and very popular San Diego bar – Dick’s Last Resort. We watched a large bachelorette party head in to Dick’s. Fun times!

After dinner, we went to one of my favorite kind of places – a dueling piano bar – whaooo! This one was called the Shout House and it was a lot of fun and had the typical “politically incorrect” style lyrics sung by the piano guys.

My beautiful niece Aubrey lives in San Diego, so she and her boyfriend JR joined us. (You may remember Aubrey was in a couple of my past Tucson show reports.)

It just so happened that it was some other guy named Lou’s birthday too – that same night – no kidding! His brought had the piano guy call him up on the stage (to make fun of him). We all thought he was calling for my hubby – so we sent him up on the stage (Lou went very reluctantly).

Lou was very embarrassed but was a good sport – it didn’t hurt that he had consumed a few rum and cokes, as well as some tequila shots before he went on staage! Soon it was time to call it a night since I had to get up pretty early in the morning to set up for the show.

Saturday – while my hubby was still sleeping, I got up and headed to the Scottish Rite Center to set up my booth.

These are the nice volunteers working the registration table

Some photos of the inside of the center

Entrance to the bourse

Inside the show

This adorable little numismatist (Brianna) is a penny fan!!!

Scouts working on their coin collecting merit badge

Some of the exhibits (of course, this Flying Eagle and Indian Cent exhibit was my favorite!) (Sorry about the poor quality of the photos, the lighting wasn’t very good and it was hard to get a decent angle to take the photos.)

The show was steadily busy throughout the day on Saturday, but by 3pm, it had slowed quite a bit. I bought a few coins, but nothing special. I had several new collectors stop by so I spent quite a bit of time trying to educate them on grading, determining what a cleaned copper coin looks like, value, etc. Retail sales were decent, not blockbuster, but about what I expected for this show. Wholesale dealers said they had a good show.

Lil’ ol me!

On Saturday night, I had dinner with my dealer buddies Larry and Shelley at the King Fish restaurant just across the freeway from the show. This is the same chain that I had dinner at in Long Beach.

I’m not a seafood fan, but I definitely enjoyed their very yummy halibut!

After dinner, I just went back to the hotel and watched a couple movies. My hubby had headed home earlier in the day.

Sunday was pretty slow – again as expected. I did have a couple sales, but soon it was time to pack up and head home. We had tickets to see the Go Go’s at the Pacific Amphitheater (at the OC Fair) that evening so I wanted to get home, unpack, and get ready for the concert.

Again, I hope you don’t mind, but I thought I’d end my report with a few photos from the fair and Go Go’s concert!

It is definitely hard to eat healthy at a fair! This was the hugest hot dog and corn dog I’d ever seen. Due to my diet, all I had was a few bites of just the hot dog. My hubby had most the corn dog, and the part of the hot dog – even he couldn’t eat all of it!

Typical fair site - huge pumpkin!

We’re waiting for the Go Go’s to take the stage (didn’t notice the funky girl making the face in the back ground until later!)

The Go Go’s! – Belinda Carlyle still has it!

That’s it! Next up – the Ontario Show which starts tomorrow!!! Then it’s a week in one of my most favorite camping places – Shaver Lake – with all of my family and many of my hubby’ Edison friends. Can’t wait!!!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for yet another fantastic report Charmy!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice report charmy. i still like the go-go's as well image
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the go go s went went loooong ago....nice report as always
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmmmm Belinda Carlyle. Had a big ol' crush on her when they first came out and then when she went solo and red, zing!
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Thank you again Charmy.

Always lovin' the pics that accompany your reports.

Mike
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Good report, thanks! I was there for awhile with my sister, but was mainly looking at currency. I chatted with Charmy for a minute or so, and was suprised to find out that she has finally consigned her cool error coin to an upcomming auction. I'm definitely going to have to watch that one!
    Matt
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy...as usual.... I do miss the wine section though...image But I know it will be back soon....Cheers, RickO
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Great work.

That's a priceless picture of the Boy Scouts.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, a great report. It's so cool to see these pictures of places I will never be in person. Thanks so much!

I hope you are almost done with your diet because I, too, miss the "wine section." image
    Mark

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great report Charmy...as usual.... I do miss the wine section though...image But I know it will be back soon....Cheers, RickO >>

I am very very happy to report that the wine section of my show reports will make it's grand re-appearance at the Chicago ANA. Believe me, no one will be happier than me!!!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    look at all those security cameras! wow!

• << <i>

<< <i>Great report Charmy...as usual.... I do miss the wine section though...image But I know it will be back soon....Cheers, RickO >>

I am very very happy to report that the wine section of my show reports will make it's grand re-appearance at the Chicago ANA. Believe me, no one will be happier than me!!! >>

And nice report, thanks for posting!
  • RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    As usual, one of the highlights for me on this forum is to read Charmy's great show reports. Every single time I find myself captivated by the pics and the interesting commentary. Great job as always Charmy and I'm very happy to hear that the "wine section" is on the agenda for next time image

Btw....gotta love the Go-Go's and it sure made me smile to see such bright eyed kids at a coin show!

Thanks for the report!!
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>nice report charmy. i still like the go-go's as well image >>

Agreed and agreed. I saw the Go-Go's at the Taj Mahal in the mid-2000's with my mom. Great concert.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    At Dick's Last Resort they sell a shirt that says: "They've got Hooters but we've got Dick's!" I'd pay to see Charms wear that shirt for a day image

I had an itch to go on Sunday but it looked like I didn't miss much.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I occasionally go to Dick's Last Resort for the Mardi Gras party. It's a blast! The picture that you showed here is actually the back entrance and patio.
    Matt
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    PHOTOBOMB!!!!

Great report as always. I enjoy every one of them.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have been a reporter! image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224

<< <i>I had an itch to go on Sunday but it looked like I didn't miss much. >>

Pretty much why I don't travel very far to coin shows any more as even my local once a month show is dwindling rapidly. So far this year I have probably skipped half of the local shows due to lack of interest as I have been doing better via internet lately.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file