Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's June 2013 LONG BEACH SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics - ADDED 1924-S PHOTO!!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
I’m always excited when the Long Beach show comes around since I get to see all my California customers and friends, not to mention it’s basically in my backyard and I can go home each night! The Long Beach Convention Center is one of the prettiest convention centers I’ve seen, and it’s right across from the beach with lots of great restaurants within walking distance. However, in June, we often have what we call “June Gloom” each morning so it’s pretty foggy in the morning but it burns off right after noon and then the sun shines bright and warm!

So I went to set up a little early since this year they were requiring everyone to get new dealer badges. This is the bourse about an hour before the dealers were let in

And here’s me with my cart which contains everything but the kitchen sink!

My table is right under the huge beautiful flag

These are the lovely young ladies at the Expos Unlimited registration table

These are the PCGS folks working hard to set up their booth

This is the newly revamped show program

The sports celebrities that will be signing autographs on Saturday

Dealer to dealer business is underway!

Towards the end of set up day each show, Collector’s Universe treats all the dealers to beer and taquitos and the dealers love it!

Following the overly good time I had a few weeks ago in New Orleans with lots of great food and the too many very tasty beverages, I decided when I returned that it was once again time to cut back and go on a diet – not fun, but necessary! Sadly, this includes no alcoholic beverages for a while, so while you will see some great bottles of wine in this report, it is wine that I actually resisted and just admired from a far!

On Wednesday after set up, we went to our usual Italian restaurant – Café Piccolo – where I simply had salad, chicken, and water! But here is the amazing wine that I actually passed up!

On Thursday, as usual, I did a lot of inventory buying, but I also found this wonderful piece for my personal collection. My Lincoln set has a lot of holes because I only buy a coin that fits my specific collecting criteria and I haven’t found a coin that fit my Lincoln set in quite a while. But when I saw this gorgeous 1924-S, it was perfect, especially since it was a date I didn’t have. My photo does not do this coin justice – I couldn’t capture the beautiful iridescent silver blue luster, so when I get Todd’s photo, I’ll be sure to post it so you will be able to see why I couldn’t resist this piece!

During the show, a dealer walked around and passed out this flyer because apparently several dealers had recently been taken by this pair and he wanted to make sure these crooks didn’t have any more victims.

As usual, one of my friends was kind enough to bring me a nice bottle of wine (I didn’t have the nerve to mention that I was on a diet) but I look forward to drinking it down the road!

Being the summer, the June show is often less well attended than the February and September shows. I had some good sales, but still had a ways to go to cover the cost of what I had already bought! I took this photo later in the afternoon on Thursday, so the crowd had already thinned out.

After the show on Thursday, my booth helpers came over to our house for our traditional 1942 Don Julio tequila and favorite neighborhood Mexican restaurant – once again, I declined and had my very tasty glass of water!

On Friday, the bourse filled up pretty quickly and there was a soft buzz. Some of my regular customers stopped by and I had some pretty good sales – yippee! Later in the day, I walked around and took some more pictures for my report. Here are photos of some of the dealer and vendor folks:

Steve Price of Penny Lane Coins and his helper Brian/BustHalfBrian

Roger/MustangGT and Todd/Blu62Vette

Nina/GreatCollections.com – she’s one of the hardest working people on the planet! Sheused to work at Stacks, then Steve Deeds Coins, and now works for Ian Russell – not to mention she’s my son’s landlord!

Jay and Mike/Illini

My wonderful booth helpers – Rich and Roger!

PCGS folks

NGC folks

ANACS folks

Me

This was a beautiful flower bouquet at the Stacks Bowers table in memory of Steve Deeds

Came upon this young very cute vest pocket dealer

After the show, we walked a couple blocks up the hill to a very popular seafood restaurant – King Fish House

We had about 10 people in our group

I’m not a big seafood lover, but I had this wonderful Alaskan halibut that I really enjoyed.

While everyone else enjoyed glasses of my favorite wine or Guinness, I stuck with my new drink of choice!

Saturday was the day the sports figures were coming to the show to sign autographs so there was a pretty good crowd waiting to get into the show

This was a video that was streaming in the registration area about the new coin search feature called ShowSearch from Collectors Corner – it “eliminates the tedious search for a particular item at the Expo. Use your smart phone to pinpoint the exact item you are looking for and the booth number where you can find it - even before the show!”

The entrance to the bourse floor

They had on display the stunning all-time finest U.S. Half Cent set

They also had on display Jean-Luc Picard’s 1959 Nu-Card Rock and Roll Stars

New ANA President Walt Ostromecki working with the kids’ treasure trivia hunt

I found this cute little pirate who was helping with the kids’ treasure hunt!

And of course, the sports celebrities were set up in the afternoon signing balls, shirts, etc. (for a fee of course)

Basketball Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman

NFL Legends Joe Montana and Dwight Clark, who famously connected for "The Catch" in the 1982 NFC Championship game

All in all, the show was very good for a summer show. I made some very good sales, found some great pieces for my inventory, including the beautiful 1924-S for my own set, and as I mentioned earlier, I especially enjoyed seeing my friends and visiting with many of my usual customers. As usual, there were empty tables here and there on Saturday, but the middle and back of the room was still full of dealers until late in the day on Saturday. Expos Unlimited is really doing a great job promoting and improving this show and I will definitely look forward to their September show!

Next up – the ANA Summer Seminar in a few weeks!!! Then it will be two more local shows for me, the Ontario and San Diego shows.
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• milkcoinmilkcoin Posts: 583
    Sweet! It feels great to be the first to tell you, you put together one fantastic show report, Charmy! Two too many to choose from image
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, a great report! Thanks!
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great show report Charmy. I always look forward to all pics. I need a 24-s too.
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice report. Since it seems the Long Beach show is "back," I'm planning on setting up a table at the September show.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Nice pictures image The male in the photo passed about by the Flagstaff Police Department looks like Brian Urlacher image
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet photos!....Joe M. is still da man!
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    As usual, your reports are a joy to view.
    Thanks again!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for posting the pictures of The Missouri Cabinet. It is THE reason why I am going to Rosemont in August.

I think the Goldbergs will have to hire someone full-time to wipe the drool off of the cases!
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another fine report!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy...and those were lovely wines.... Although I am a red wine fan, I can tell you that Gewurztraminer is a fantastic wine... Cheers, RickO
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report, as usual.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    As always, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing the picture of the 24-s...one of the tougher dates in the series to find nice, especially with a good strike on the reverse.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the fine report Charmy. Your individual picture is a good one. I noticed all the pictures you took this time were right in focus. Wonder why?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Squeeze a lemon slice into that h2O.
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank You for All of your informative Coin Show Reports.

They are well presented and always full of great pictures and stories.

Looks like you've lost weight already! Good Luck with the diet.

Thanks again.
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I always love these show reports! Thank you!
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Always enjoy your reports
  • Looks like a great time was had by all! Another cool report!
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Wow, a coin show with women present! Now there's something we don't see at your typical coin show.

Charms, you should enable your HDR function on your camera. A lot of the pictures would look much better with deeper relief effect, brighter colors and less glare.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Report Charmy.
    Thanks for posting it.

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GREAT PICS & SHOW REPORT !!!
    Thanks for sharing... image
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Always a fun Thread to look at ! Thanks, Charmy !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for another great report Charmy! I always enjoy them...

ABimage
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    Becky
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WATER?!?!?!?!?!
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot my Rodman jersey or I may have got an autograph.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Great report, always a pleasure to read. Thanks! image
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Another great show report Charmy.

Thanks for the time and effort.

Mike
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EXCELLENT report...with one exception: I miss all the comment about the wine and food. Your diet hurts me almost as much as my diets hurt me!! image
    Mark

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice report charmy. i do like that 1924 s lincoln cent.
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    These are always so much fun to read! My wife loves looking at all of your pictures too!

Thanks for taking the time to post your report. image
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    An excellent report as always, thanks! I came by your table on Thursday, as I always do, but you seemed extremely busy this time around. I really was impressed with the changes made to the show. Looks like they're finally on the right track. I see my car in one of your pictures! Good luck with your diet, I know it isn't easy. I'm down 38 pounds myself and feel better than I have in ages. However I did splurge at Island Burgers while I was there.
    Matt
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> However I did splurge at Island Burgers while I was there. >>

Ooh, I miss that place!!! I have not been to one of those in over 10yrs. ...Booo I do not live in SC anymore image
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, thank you everyone for the kind remarks!

Coinnut and Lusterlover - This is the first 1924-S that I have seen that would fit in my collection, it's so well struck with super lustrous toning - ones like this are indeed far and few between!

Kove - I know you will enjoy setting up at the Long Beach show, they are definitely pulling out all the stops to ensure dealers have what they need and the public attends.

Halfcentman - I agree about the Missouri CAbinet collection, I had to keep myself from drooling too!

Ricko - I too enjoy a Gewurztraminer now and then, but more as a dessert wine since they are pretty sweet. I really do miss my wines right now image

Mozin - thank you, I'm learning to hold my iPhone steadier but will have to work on the glare as Wei mentioned

Goose3 - Believe me, I have been finding all kinds of creative ways to enjoy my water, including lemon, lime, orange, and cucumber!

JazzmanJab - thank you! I find that I have to do this every couple years to get back on track. It is hard to maintain any kind of "girlish figure" when I'm on the road so much and there's such great food and wine surrounding me!

Habaraca - I know, I know.... water is a very poor substitute for wine, but sadly it is a necessary evil right now!

Todd - you would have had to stand in a very long line for that autograph!

Mark - When I went to dinner with my wine-tasting friends where everyone brings a good bottle of wine and we all taste each bottle, believe me, it was so very hard not to have even one tiny sip of even one wine, but I knew if I did, it would be a slippery slope - so I satisfied myself by simply inhaling the fragrance of the various wines.

Flash - I'm sorry I missed you at the show and congratulations on the success of your diet - and an Island Burger sounds wonderful right about now!

Don't worry folks, I plan to take a break from my deprivation for the Chicago ANA, so my reports will be back to their usual wine, food, and coin show report format!

• Fantastic report as always Charmy! I feel so fortunate that you've never held back your praise or your criticisms of our show. You've pushed and inspired me to always look for the better option and to keep doing all that I can to make the Long Beach Show GREAT! We've got a ways to go but we've hit our stride and are not going to quit our quest to make Long Beach a MUST ATTEND show for all of our Nation's dealers.

Thanks again! Potential Long Beach Dealers: My contact information...including my email and cell phone are on our website. We're 90% sold out so any dealers on the fence should give me a call so I can further convince you to try us out. (Or refer you to Charmy's show reports from the last year)

Come play with us at The Beach!

-Taryn
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WATER?!?!?!?!?! >>

My thoughts exactly! A Charmy show report is not complete without the prerequisite pic of her drinking her finest vino's (dare I say semi-shattered in some of them...lol...j/k, I think...lol).

Great report, as usual, and thanks for the images!!
    I'll come up with something.
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report, thank you.
    Collecting since 1976.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's Todd's photo of the 1924-S! Unfortunately, the photo doesn't quite pick up the beautiful lustrous iridescent gray/blue toning that attracted me to the coin in the first place.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file