Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's April 2013 SANTA CLARA SHOW w/Lots of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is the second show for the “new” Santa Clara Coins & Collectibles Show held at the Santa Clara Convention Center. The first one was very successful, and I think this one was very comparable, in spite of the roller coaster gold and silver prices. Scott Griffin is one of the hardest working, most organized, and nicest show promoters! It looked like every table was filled, yet there was plenty of room to move around. And those there wasn’t a “rush” of people who entered when the show opened, they steadily streamed in so that the bourse soon had a steady buzz. As is usual, the show slowed down around 3pm each day which gave the dealers a chance to work and/or socialize among themselves.

I drove up on Thursday - it was a beautiful day and the drive wasn’t bad especially since I got to continue listening to a book on cd I had started – Rod Stewart’s autobiography.

I especially enjoy the drive on The Pacheco Pass from the 5 to the 101 Freeway. It winds through some very pretty hillsides and fields and I especially love the whiffs of garlic once you enter Gilroy!

I arrived at the convention center around 3pm.

I noticed they were building a new structure right behind the convention center, which I found out is to be a new stadium for the 49ers!

When I arrived at my table, my good friend Jerry Carsman had a wonderful case of wine waiting for me! He is “thinning” out his wine refrigerator (which holds about 600 bottles) and brought me a case of classic red wine – whahoooo!

I had plenty of time to organize my booth since the show was open to dealers until 7pm. Once everything was in its place, I opened a nice bottle of Temecula Hills Mourvedre and shared it with my fellow wine-drinking dealer friends!

I noticed the dealer next to me sold tokens and medals so when I looked in his case, I discovered he had several pieces of penny exonumia that would fit nicely in my collection, so we worked out a deal for this nice little group of pop outs, including two pairs of pop out cuff links and very cool Australian hat penny.

So I added these pieces to my penny exonumia display in one of my cases

My dealer neighbor also had this interesting Indian cent inserted into a rubbery plastic encasement – I didn’t buy it because he wanted what I thought was too much for it, plus the Indian cent had been cleaned. Also, I didn’t know much about it, whether it was rare, etc. I’d welcome any information on this piece.

By the way, I was very tickled to see that my “Penny Exonumia” article just came out on the Fly-In Club’s Longacre Ledger newsletter!

After set up, we headed over to Birk’s for dinner – it’s is a very nice steakhouse just around the corner from the convention center. Jerry treated us to a wonderful bottle of Ridge Lytton Springs which went great with our dinner.

Before we went to dinner, I had every intention of heading over to Bay 101 for some poker, but after that long drive, then catching up with my friends at dinner, not to mention enjoying some wonderful wine, I pooped out and just headed back to my room. I don’t think it took 10 minutes after my head hit the pillow for me to be in dreamland….

After going to bed early and getting a good night sleep, I arrived a little early at the show on Friday morning, and walked around to take some photos. I was pleased to see that there was plenty of signage for the coin show in the lobby.

There was a reporter/cameraman (Mark) from the local news station walking around the bourse doing some interviews with Scott, the show promoter – and before I knew it, they were at my table and Scott began interviewing me while Mark filmed us! I heard that the segment appeared on the evening news for that station.

Then I was getting ready to clean the glass on my cases when Dennis88(a fellow forum member) stopped, and since he neglected to bring me a cup of coffee, I put him to work cleaning my cases!

The doors opened to the public at 10am and as I mentioned above, it took a little while, but soon the room filled up. Several forum members stopped by, including Tom/Landord, who brought me this beautiful cat-shaped bottle of German wine!!

David Lange of NGC also stopped by and even bought a coin from me!

Jim/JBN who is also putting together a penny collection, bought several coins from me!

I thoroughly enjoy seeing my good friends – Cindi/ANACS, Tim, and Logan of Vams & More. We always have a good time when we get together!

For dinner, a large group of us gathered at the restaurant in the Hyatt which is attached to the convention center. They have a small menu, but what they serve is delicious and reasonably priced!

This was a very yummy steak with the most wonderful polenta (cornmeal and cheese)!

It went well with this Rodney Strong cab

Again, all day I was looking forward to playing cards at Bay 101 after dinner, but once again, the wine and great company way-layed me and I decided that a movie and my pillow (which is one I brought from home) sounded like a better choice! I must be getting old….

On Saturday, the room once again filled up pretty quickly

Lee/19Lyds stopped by my table – he had his eye on a nice 1955/55 Double Die Lincoln PCGS AU55 that I had, which he decided to add to his Lincoln double die collection. As I mentioned to him, the 1955/55 is my favorite Lincoln cent and the king of all double dies – I think everyone should have one, don’t you?!!

More forum members stopped by on Saturday, including Shawn/Kookoox10 who bought a nice little large cent for his collection

And Alex/Funkee who I met for the first time (I believe he said he’s on the paper money forum more)

This is Scott Griffin talking to one of his customers – as I mentioned, he works hard to put on a quality show!

As the show wound down in the later afternoon, I wondered around and took a few more pictures. This is another dealer buddy, Dennis from Las Vegas, who works with DEI

Another fellow dealer, Gene Bruder

Jim of Errors and More coins has some truly amazing errors in his cases.

He just got this huge bonded error back from PCGS and it’s the first error they put in one of their giant holders!

Jim even had this very interesting Bill Ripken baseball card that I had to crop due to some obscene words written on the bottom of the bat!

When I saw there wasn’t much public traffic left on the bourse, I opened another bottle of wine and prepared a plate of cheese, salami and crackers that I had brought with me in a cooler, and set up a little party at Logan’s table!

After the show closed, a large group of us went over to Bennigan’s for dinner – it’s a fun Irish Pub type of restaurant/bar.

Here’s Glenn Holsonbake/PonyExpress having a very tasty cider beer!

While I had my usual favorite – Guinness

The dinner gang!

Ok, once again I had planned to go play cards, but…. well…. pillow …. movie… long drive home in the morning…. old age…..

Sunday was predictably quiet with not much public in attendance, so I started packing up around noon since I planned to stop by and visit my folks in Oxnard on the way home. This meant I would be taking the coast highway home which takes at least an hour longer – but it is an absolutely gorgeous drive. Also, since I finished the Rod Stewart book, I was anxious to listen to my new James Patterson/Alex Cross book – it’s one of my most favorite book series!

Atascadero is not far from San Luis Opispo and has really pretty countryside with lush green rolling hills

Malibu

Then finally home!!!

Next up – the ANA’s National Money Show in New Orleans!!! This time, I’m headed to the show early since my hubby will actually be going with me so we can enjoy some of New Orlean’s great music, food, drinks, and fun sites. But, since he’s not a coin guy, he’ll be headed home when the show starts!! However, I’ll be sure to get photos of us together as evidence that I actually have a husband and that he’s not just a phantom!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again.
    I really do enjoy all the detail of your reports.
    Look forward to the next.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy. I was busy with family and could not make it. If your going to New Orleans take a few days and drive highway 61 north up to Natchez, Mississippi. So many neat things to see on that road!!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another fantastic report Charmy! Looking forward to your next one already.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy! I really enjoyed all the pics and very much enjoyed the country scenery... Thank you...

AB image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they banned plaid and flannel shirts in California. image
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well worth the wait. Thanks again for a great report.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report.
    Just wondering where all the Morgan Dollars are though......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I'd love to know how they assigned a grade of MS 64 RD to that bonded error. There's barely any surface to grade!
  • giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope you pulled off the highway to take those photos of that barn on Paecho Pass.image and other road shots?
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, your pics are wonderful.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great show report and the wine selections were interesting. Cheers, RickO
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "By the way, I was very tickled to see that my “Penny Exonumia” article just came out on the Fly-In Club’s Longacre Ledger newsletter!
    "

Great article in the Ledger Charmy. Your collection is really cool.
    Larry

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great show report. Thanks again, Charmy.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the usual great show report. Love all the pics. image

Mike
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Awesome report.........image

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanksimage
    Becky
  • kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Great to see you again Charmy. Have a wonderful week!
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Charmy for these great show reports.
    Williams Selyem.....you are living the good life!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there more than one DennisH here? This guy sure doesn't look old enough to be the one I'm familiar with.

• Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Haha no that's not DennisH...it's me. My last name starts with an H as well, hence the confusion (I actually remember trying to register as DennisH but the real DennisH beat me to it).

I'm still not quite sure how Charmy got me to do that...haha

Dennis
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Haha no that's not DennisH...it's me. My last name starts with an H as well, hence the confusion (I actually remember trying to register as DennisH but the real DennisH beat me to it).

I'm still not quite sure how Charmy got me to do that...haha

Dennis >>

Oops, I knew that! Sorry Dennis, it's fixed.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to have missed you this time Charmy, I couldn't make it to the show until around noon on Sunday. It was quite dead by then but at least I was able to sit and chat with Stealer and PonyExpress for a while. Not often that I get to sit and chat coins so I didn't mind.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice report charmy
  • Great Report as always! Sad I couldn't be there! I had sea cadets!
    Taylor
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you had a fun, scenic drive on your way back home...back home down in good 'ol L.A.

Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Always a pleasure reading your reports!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Thanks for the report- I was sorry to have missed the show
    This is so fun
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not collect Pennies or Cents, but I always make sure to read your reports of your wine list ... You have great taste.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file