Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's 2013 PNNA TUKWILA SHOW Report w/lots of Pics!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
The PNNA Tukwila show has always been a very active and well-attended show and it’s one of the best regional shows I know of. Scott Loos and the rest of the PNNA team do a fantastic job advertising, organizing, setting everything up, and making sure the show runs smoothly and efficiently. I understand there’s even a waiting list for dealers to get a table at this show.

The show this year was again very busy, with crowded aisles and lots of traffic, but from many accounts actual sales were down compared to last year. It’s possible that the gold and silver prices dropping so dramatically this weekend made collectors more hesitant to spend money on coins. But as they say, if you aren’t having a good selling show, then you can make up for it by having a good buying show – which I did!

I left a sunny 80-degrees Orange County around noon on Thursday and arrived in Seattle with my mega coat since the weather reports said it would be in the high 40’s to low 50’s with rain in the forecast – which was right on!

Descending into the Seattle area

My wonderful brother Paul lives in the Seattle area so he picked me up at the airport and toted me around the whole weekend!

We had an early dinner at my brother’s favorite Mexican restaurant – mmmmmmmmm!

My brother plays the trumpet and attends rehearsals for a jazz band and a concert band on Thursday nights so I tagged along with him to watch. Even though I am a little prejudiced, the bands are both very good!

That’s Paul in the black baseball hat

Then we headed back to his house. Paul has his tv and just about every other electronic thing networked up to his computer. He works at Expedia so he was showing me on his computers where his building is located via Google Earth

The next morning we got up early and headed to the Tukwila Community Center for set up.

Dealers with larger loads cart their material through this loading area. My table is third table in on the right up against the wall

Before the show opened, I was able to do some searching for inventory and found some great original raw material, including a beautiful uncirculated 1909-S vdb, 1972/72 double die, and a very cool 1858 Flying Eagle with a huge lamination error.

The show opened to the public at noon and there was a very long line of people waiting to get in!

The room filled up quickly and some familiar faces soon appeared at my table!

SeattleSlammer, SwampBoy, and Bochiman

Lakesammman holding a Doily!!

Matt from Pinnacle

Quarternut brought me some wonderful pie cutters/gears for my exonumia collection!

These were just some very cute kids who stopped by – love the Mohawk!

Cindi (Logan’s daughter of Vams & More) is also a rep for ANACS and takes submissions at many of the west coast shows. She and I always have a great time together so I was very pleased that she was at this show. (Sorry, this one came out a little blurry)

I bought a couple bottles of wine at a local store and we had a nice Columbia Valley red after things slowed down on Friday - but sadly I forgot to take a photo!!!

Then we headed out to dinner, with Cindi in tow!

Cindi and me

Paul and Vicki

After dinner, I enjoyed some very relaxing jammy time visiting with my brother and Vicki!

On Saturday morning, once again, there was a nice long line of people waiting to get in to the show!

And the bourse filled up quickly

Glenn Holsonbake/PonyExpress stopped by and one of my customers had some fun when I took his photo!

This is Art McBride, one of the nicest dealers on the planet!!

Walter Ostromecki once again worked tirelessly to put on the kids’ treasure hunt program!

Lil ol me!

Rick Hennessy is a dealer right across from me and brought me a couple 1909-S Indians in PCGS holders he had for sale. It was funny because the grades of his coins fit right in the middle of the grades of the ones I already had, so we put them all together for a short grading set!

After the show ended, Cindi and I again joined my brother and Vicki for dinner at BJ’s. Cindi and I decided to try their beer tasting special – it was very yummy and we enjoyed finishing each glass! Cindi preferred the lighter brews while I liked the darker brews (reminded me of Guinness) so it worked out perfectly!

The food wasn’t bad either!!!

By the time we left the restaurant, it was raining pretty hard, then on the way home it began to hail!! This is my brother’s car within minutes of parking it in the driveway

As expected, the show was much more sparsely attended on Sunday, even though most of the dealers were still there. I was able to walk around and visit with other dealers, one of whom is my favorite Conder token dealer – Gary Groll. I had bought some Conder tokens from him earlier in the show, and while we were talking, he asked if I had bought a new British token book that had been published a few months back by David Dykes. I told him I hadn’t heard there was a new book, so we went over to Scott Loos’ table to see if he had one among the books he was selling, and I was surprised to see he had one!!! I was very excited to have it and quickly bought it. Since the show was slow, I had time to rummage through it – what a great book!! I highly recommend it for anyone interested in 18th Century British tokens!!

Here are the beautiful new Conder tokens I bought from Gary:

This is a very cool WWI “trench art” dice set I recently acquired for my penny exonumia collection. It has a 1912 British penny embedded on the lid of the wooden shaker and “France 1916” etched on the bottom of the shaker cup.

A customer of mine showed me a counterfeit 1931-S he had. He said he bought it back in the 1970’s and decided to get it certified. He was shocked that it came back counterfeit. I told him I hadn’t seen a counterfeit 1931-S before so I was anxious to examine it. It’s a really well done example of an added mint mark. You have to turn the coin to see the discoloration around the mint mark.

Early in the afternoon on Sunday, a new customer walked up to my table, said hi in a very hoarse voice, then handed me this letter to read

It brought a smile to my face and simply made my day! He then sat down and I showed him several coins that he carefully examined to fill some holes in the Indian set he had started over the past year. After he chose a couple coins, one raw and one certified, he asked me to look over the coins he had previously bought from dealers and stores in his area. Since the show was slow, I had plenty of time and gladly agreed but I asked if he wanted my honest opinion, good or bad, and he said he did. So I proceeded to examine each of his coins and suggested that he might want to take some notes on what I considered to be the “problem” coins so he could go back and examine the coins for himself and review his notes. All of the coins were in the original flips he had bought them in, but unfortunately, many of the coins had been cleaned, and a few had other issues. I described to him each detail of why I thought the coin was cleaned so he could try and learn for himself how to differentiate the colors of a cleaned or dipped coin from a naturally toned coin. I suggested that until he could tell the difference, he might want to stay with certified coins, even if he had to pay a little more for a coin. I also suggested a couple books he might buy. I’m sure he was somewhat discouraged that so many of his coins had problems, but I think he was determined to educate himself so he could continue with his new coin passion.

This is the “roach coach” right outside the back door (next to the playground) where many of us grabbed coffee and a bite to eat. Actually, the food was really good, and very inexpensive!

Of course, the day we are leaving the weather was much nicer – still a little cloudy but no rain and wind, and a lot warmer!

Soon it was time to pack up my booth and head to the airport for my flight home. Paul picked up both Cindi and me, packed all our gear into his car, helped Cindi with all the material she had to take to FedEx, then drove us to the airport. It was so great to be able to visit with my brother since I only get to see him a couple times a year – and he was so amazingly wonderful (and patient) to tote me and Cindi all around!

So when we got to the airport, we said out good-byes to my brother, then Cindi and I were pleasantly surprised to learn we were leaving from the SAME gate, just at different times! So we got checked in and through security, then promptly settled at a nearby restaurant for a pre-flight beverage!

After Cindi’s flight left, while I was waiting for my flight, I noticed that they suddenly changed my gate from the C terminal all the way over to the N terminal! I hustled down the escalators, and took the tram over to my new gate. Now, as much as I fly, I still don’t quite qualify for first class upgrades like some of the other dealers I know. So while waiting for my flight, the gate attendants made an announcement that they were offering upgrades to first class seats for $50. I quickly took them up on their offer and was very tickled to be given Seat No. 1A!!!

It was wonderful to have such a cushy, roomy seat on the first row, with excellent service, and all the wine I wanted to drink! I was in plane heaven!!!

Then, sooner than I expected, we were descending into the Orange County area and it was time to turn off all the electronics, so I quickly took a couple photos of all the lights looking down on Orange County before turning off my camera.

And here’s the landing area after we touched down

My window was right where they attach the walking ramp

Yeaaa, it is so good to be home!!!

Next up, the Santa Clara show this week, then the ANA’s National Money Show in New Orleans a couple weeks later!!!!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. Sometimes I miss the great Northwest.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and photos!
    Thank you so much for posting these.

This is a show I've enjoyed attending a handful of times over the past few years. Bummed that I couldn't make it this year though.

Looks like it was very well attended!
    Hopefully I'll make it next year.
    I'd enjoy meeting the other forum members from the area as well as "the Penny Lady"!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool report Charmy! Some very cool exonumia... Looks like a great turnout and bet it was great to see your bro...
    Thank you for another great report... I always enjoy them with all the pics and details...

ABimage
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmaine:

Rick misses the NW when it's 120 degrees in Tucson! image

Nice to see you at the show - nice report as always. Thanks for coming up and helping to make the show a success. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome report as always charmy. Looks like your photobucket is throwing the URL error, you may want to check out a thread posted a couple days back about how to fix that. >>

Thanks, they are fixed. Interesting that issue doesn't show up on the other forums where I post this report.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakesammman, is that a new Doily for the census? Can't make out what coin it is.

Great report, Charmy! Looks like a fun show.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Thanks again Charmy for another great show report. The pics you include are always the high light.

Located any of the Lincolns for my set yet? image

Mike
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our roving reporter on the spot with another in a series of interesting and educational 'pict-a-posts'. Coins and cuisine, a fine combo.
    Bummer about the guy's 31-S but it looks fairly evident of the added mm.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    Becky

• Great Report...!

Thanks for Sharing...!

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report as always. Thanks for sharing. It's nice when you caption the pics of fellow forum members so we can put a face to the name.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another great report Charmy.... a little light on the wine though image I always attended that show when I lived there and considered it one of the two best shows in the Northwest.
    Cheers, RickO
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Always Excellent image
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another superb report! I was thinking that we were not going to get a report this time.
  • GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    Thanks, Charmy, for another great show report. I always look forward to attending a "virtual show" through your eyes!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always great pics and report.
    Great to see you again and glad I could get my son and his YN friend there to see the "PennyLady" image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I see that Charmy bought newps from two of my good friends: George Marley of The Coin Market, LLC and Mark Emtman of B.U.S.T. Coins.

Hey Bochiman, what is Brian Maguire (Clackamas) doing these days?
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and photos. I'm especially pleased to see all the airplane shots, even more so that you flew up on a classic 737. Looks like a -400, and not many of those are still flying in the US.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed report, beginning to end.
    To many thing to list as my favorite parts.
    Almost feels like I was there.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see that Charmy bought newps from two of my good friends: George Marley of The Coin Market, LLC and Mark Emtman of B.U.S.T. Coins.

Hey Bochiman, what is Brian Maguire (Clackamas) doing these days? >>

Yeah...Mark is an interesting guy. I actually went to college with (but didn't personally know) his cousin?, Steve Emtman. We talked about it a few years ago.
    I also told him about a raw 1887 dime I bought from him about 6 years ago. MS64 and toned. I agreed on the grade, inhand. Sent it to PCGS and they disagreed with a MS63.
    After awhile, I went a different direction in collecting and figured to sell it, but I wasn't willing to take the loss when I still believed it to be MS64.

Last year, sent it to JA and he gold'ed it. I then sold it to a dealer online and was happy.

When I told Mark the story, he wasn't sure if he should be happy or not image ... I told him it was all good and that I had purchased it when I agreed on the grade/price, and just wanted to let him know that JA agreed as well.
    He has killer raw products!

As for Clackamas, haven't heard from him in more than a few years.....I know he had a lot going on and that may have taken him away from things for awhile. He still has his #1 registry sets image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

As always, another great show report. Love seeing the people at your table
    and putting names with faces.

Boy, oh boy, you and Paul sure look like siblings ! Nice to have him so close
    to the Tukwila show, at least you see him at least twice a year !

You mentioned you were a bit slow, I thought you would have been jammed
    with customers, with the lines waiting outside.

Really liked the large grouping of 09-S IHC's.... I was like a kid in a candy store
    just looking at that group shot !!

I have heard it constantly rains up there... Looked pretty nice to me... Nice billowy
    clouds ...

The pie cutter Lg Cents caught my eye. Very interesting coins. What was the reasoning
    behind doing that ... ?????

Thanks again for the show report... Looking forward to the next one !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good stuff charmy, thanks for sharing image
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent report, Charmy! Thank you!!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Added thanks for the report. Having taken the tram multiple times to the N Gates I could picture exactly what you experienced with the last minute gate change. Now we need to know if you agreed with your brother that the Mexican Restarant he took you to was the best and if so we need identification for the next time we get to The Emerald City.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I give up.

What's PNNA stand for anyway?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    Pacific Northwest Numismatic Association
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some have asked what I'm holding in the picture - here it is. image

Nuts-over-airplanes was really happy for me. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

<< <i>Added thanks for the report. Having taken the tram multiple times to the N Gates I could picture exactly what you experienced with the last minute gate change. Now we need to know if you agreed with your brother that the Mexican Restarant he took you to was the best and if so we need identification for the next time we get to The Emerald City. >>

The restaurant is Tres Hermanos - and yes, the food was great and the service even better!

Thank you everyone once again for all your kind comments - they are very much appreciated. I enjoy putting these reports together, as they help me notice more of what's going on around me! Look for another report next week when I return from Santa Clara....
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Just got around to checking out your show report, Charmy.

Great report as usual, in fact they seem to be getting even
    better every show.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Added thanks for the report. Having taken the tram multiple times to the N Gates I could picture exactly what you experienced with the last minute gate change. Now we need to know if you agreed with your brother that the Mexican Restarant he took you to was the best and if so we need identification for the next time we get to The Emerald City. >>

The restaurant is Tres Hermanos - and yes, the food was great and the service even better!

Thank you everyone once again for all your kind comments - they are very much appreciated. I enjoy putting these reports together, as they help me notice more of what's going on around me! Look for another report next week when I return from Santa Clara.... >>

Thanks! Just passed the intel on to my son who loves Mexican Food and who is currently in Seattle.
  • Well done as always Charmy! I just became a member of PNNS! image
    Taylor
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report (as always), and thanks (as always).

I'm again struck by the fact that you can't tell a cover by its book.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file