Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's February 2013 LONG BEACH SHOW Report w/lots of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let me start off by saying that I’ve been attending the Long Beach coin show for about 15 years, and this show was the BUSIEST, most WELL-ATTENDED Long Beach show I have ever been to! Expos Unlimited did an outstanding job of bringing in more dealers from around the country and their increased marketing was definitely successful in bringing in more public – including of course, having some amazing collections and collectibles on display, arranging for famous sports figures to sign autographs, and yes, even having the Laker Girls make an appearance! A big fat KUDOS to Expos Unlimited and Collectors Universe for putting on an excellent show!!!

On Wednesday, as usual, I drove into the loading dock area, unloaded, moved my car, waited to be let in, then began the tedious process of setting up my booth. One of my SoCal buddies, Roger, was thankfully there to help me put my booth together which makes the set up process go much quicker. During the set up process, the usual “vest pocket” dealers stopped by to show me their copper. This is where I often do the majority of my buying – and this show was no exception. Later in my report you’ll see what I mean!

During set up, Expos Unlimited once again set out taquitos and beer for the dealers. I made the usual rounds to my buddy dealers to quickly catch up with them. After set up day was over, a couple of us went across the street to one of my favorite chain restaurants – PF Changs! MMMMMMMMMMMM! It was already pretty crowded so we just sat at the bar and had dinner and some pretty decent wine!

It was a beautiful night, so I took some photos of what the convention center area looks like at night – it’s very pretty!

The next morning (Thursday), I went out to the registration area and took several photos before the show opened.

I was quite surprised and very pleased to see tons of people registering to get into the show!

I took a few minutes to walk around the bourse to see the exhibits – including the famous Honus Wagner collectible exhibits – this is the only know Honus Wagner jersey

These are some of the Honus Wagner baseball cards that were on display as well

These are some very interesting and fascinating early Peace Medals

This is the beautiful amazing High Desert Large Cent collection – WOW!!!

My booth and booth helpers opened for business!!

After the show opened, the room quickly filled up and soon the room had a welcomed buzz which was much louder than usual for this show!

These two lovely ladies from the Coin Dealer Newsletter were my first visitors to my table. They just wanted to say hi and thank me for my show reports, and to bring me this very cute and yummy bottle of wine – they chose this wine due to the picture of the coin in the hand on the bottle!

Also, my very good friend Cindy (of Vams & More) brought me this lovely Valentine’s package which included a bottle of this very tasty “Fancy Pants” wine!

Then, my very good friend and other booth helper, Rich, who is also a big wine lover, brought me this especially wonderful bottle of Exitus wine!

As I mentioned above, throughout the show, I ended up buying quite a few great coins to help fill in some of the gaps that were left from the FUN show – and I even bought some great coins for my personal collection!

And here are some of the coins I bought for my own collection. I bought a couple very cool errors, as well as some pretty toned common date Lincolns I needed.

Matt/Renomedphys stopped by while I was taking pictures and, being the cute ham that he is, popped into my photo!

These are some of my latest penny exonumia I had on display in my case

This is my prison art penny teapot collection - it includes Indian, Lincoln and Canadian cent teapots

This is a prison art charm bracelet made from pennies – teapot, mug, pitcher, bell, and V-Day penny

Spoons made from British and Australian pennies

Trench art – match case made from shell casings with a British penny on the bottom

PCGS was busy as usual!

This is the table where you could buy some of the Laker’s memorabilia

After the show on Thursday, we went to Naples Ribs for dinner. This is the usual Thursday night dinner hang out for many of the dealers. They definitely have the best bbq dishes!!!

Matt/BillyGoat of Pinnacle Rarities, Jeff Oxman (VAM books author), Todd/Blu62vette, Roger/MustangGT

Bonnie of Albanese Coins, Me, Greg Bingham (formerly with Houston Oilers)

Rich (my buddy and booth helper), Matt/Renomedphys, Rick Snow/EagleEye, and Me

Northern Nevada Coin folks

Friday morning was beautiful but you could see the rain clouds moving in – this is the Long Beach Convention Center before the rain came pouring down!

I took a few minutes before the bourse opened on Friday to take some more photos around the floor

My table is in the middle of the bourse floor – this is a shot from my table looking towards the front of the room before the bourse.

Doesn’t Bonnie (Albanese Coins) look fantastic in pink!

And guess who this is!!!!

More sports memorabilia for sale at some dealer tables

Stacks Bowers folks!

An amazing mostly PCGS AU58 set of Indian cents along with several major varieties – a stunning set for sure!!!

I love polka dots!

This little numismatist was so adorable I just had to take his photo

After the show on Friday, we tried a different restaurant – Gaucho Grill – which was an Argentina steakhouse that had great food, a nice ambiance and a singing piano player

I had the rib-eye which was delicious!

And of course, we had some very yummy wines!!! I brought this delicious Hawkstone

I don’t usually care much for white wine but this one was absolutely wonderful!

This Napa Altagracia was also excellent!

For a Saturday, there were very few empty tables and the bourse was very busy for most of the day

And of course it was the big day for the sports legend autographs, not to mention the cute little Lakers Girls appearance!

Magic Johnson signing autographs

The Laker Girls signed autographs and then performed one of their routines

Too soon, the show was over and it was once again time start packing up. As has been mentioned in other threads, this was one of the best Long Beach shows in many years. I don’t know of any dealers who said they had a bad show. Everyone seemed very pleased with the show – again, thank you Expos Unlimited and Collectors Universe for putting life back into one of my favorite shows!!!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've outdone yourself yet again Charmy....magnificent report.
    The "little numismatist" is priceless.
    Thank you iPhone5....you are getting the hang of her aren't you????

edited to add: You really captured the 'spirit' of the show in so many ways.....much appreciated on this forum.
    WTCG was right.....great Laker Girl Pics! Cool to see the Magic man too! image
    Thank you for all your hard work. It can't be easy being an exhibitor/dealer and also 'the' show historian/reporter.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those PCGS cheerleaders are eye catching!

peacockcoins

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Great report! Thanks!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always look forward to your reports and this one was super as always.image
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Once again Charmy you outdone yourself again with the generosity of your time that thrills so many of us who could not attend the show. Thank you so much. You are the best. Tony.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great report! Thanks Charmy
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great as always, Thank You!!!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy, and also some lovely wines.....I do like Hawkstone Cabernet....Cheers, RickO
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Once again, a comprehensive and excellent report! Thank you!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super report, as usual, Charmy! Long Beach is a great show.

I find myself looking for your report after every large show. No one does it better; such a great balance between coins, people, and humor!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • thanks
  • BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Great report as usual image

Always look forward to your reports.
  • Fantastic report Charmy! It all happened so fast...I love seeing your photos to remember all that happened! So glad you had such a great show. Your comments and suggestions over the years have helped us grow and get better. The best is yet to come.
    Thanks,
    Taryn
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report - thanks for including the Lakers girls. image

What was the mix like - did it feel like a coin show or a coin, stamp and sports show??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy! They keep getting better and better!
    That error stuff is very cool! Some familiar faces and some new ones... It`s nice to put faces to their handles on here... More cool wines and those large cents look to be awesome... And Magic Johnson and thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting the Laker girls! image Also Bonnie and Greg... Those two are always nice to chat with and I don`t think I have ever seen Bonnie without a smile on her face... What a sweetheart of a person!
    Looks like PCGS was busy as usual and thank you so much for another report... Next best thing to being there!

ABimage
  • SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    thank you for posting the report! love the picsimage
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    I look forward to every report loaded with all your pics from the shows.

I really look forward to all those great shots of Mark Feld that you manage to get. image

Mike
  • Nice report. Maybe you could share some lunch with the Laker Girls. They look like they
    could use a few carbs. image
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Good report, as always from you. A little something for everyone I guess.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    Charmy: Another great show report. I always look forward to them!
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Your reports are always a joy.
    Thank you again!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great report - ThankS image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks once again everyone for all the kind remarks - I really do love reading your responses and am glad you like these reports. Since I've been creating these reports, it's actually helped me see the shows I attend from a different and more thorough perspective, and not just from behind my table.

Next report - the PCGS Invitational at the Venetian (Feb 28-March 2) and LVNS Club show at the Palace Station (March 1-March 3) in Las Vegas. Whahoo, love the Vegas shows!!!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long Beach Wine Show looks to have been a wonderful success!!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

You'll have to let Corey "Big Hoss" of Pawn Stars know you'll be in town
    for any professional evaluations on any rare copper they get in the store.

You're very photogenic and I loved the last episode you were in.

Nice report as always... Keep up the good work !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a nice honus wagner collection charmy and the lakers cheer leaders are awesome as well image
  • daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Thanks for including the Magic Johnson pic!

Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks once again everyone for all the kind remarks - I really do love reading your responses and am glad you like these reports. Since I've been creating these reports, it's actually helped me see the shows I attend from a different and more thorough perspective, and not just from behind my table.

Next report - the PCGS Invitational at the Venetian (Feb 28-March 2) and LVNS Club show at the Palace Station (March 1-March 3) in Las Vegas. Whahoo, love the Vegas shows!!! >>

Added thanks for the report and especially the photos. Wish I had your restaurant recommendations last summer when we had a few days to kill in Long Beach waiting for our cruise ship departure. Also enjoyed seeing your appearance on "Pawn Brokers" with your sale of the aerial camera still loaded with film. It was great getting to meet you several years ago at another California show (Santa something) and good to see you continuing to advance the hobby.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. Like those Laker girls.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great report. Like those Laker girls. >>

I worked a show , locally this past weekend. They don't make girls like that in Nebraska City.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great report. Like those Laker girls. >>

I worked a show , locally this past weekend. They don't make girls like that in Nebraska City. >>

Is that where folks go to family reunions to pick up single ladies or is that a bit farther east?

Hey Charms, no pics of Thursday night's dinner entree?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file