Home Precious Metals

Post your best investment ideas for 2013!!! 3rd Quarter results posted!

WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
Since Baley must be napping, or shopping...

Post your picks for the best investment ideas for 2013!

Post your picks for standard, trackable, fungible securities with published prices before the calendar changes to 2013, and let them run throughout the year. The goal is highest % increase in one calendar year. One entry per person. Post them here or send a PM.

Same rules as last year. We'll start with a $9,000 portfolio (since it is evenly divisble by 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.).

To keep the list managable, try to limit yourself to 3 or at most 4 picks (naturally, performance of both good and bad picks will be "diluted" by diversification from more than one pick)

We'll assume even division among the assets, if more than one is chosen, unless some other proportion is specified before the deadline.

Any dividends will assume to simply received in cash on the date of payment, unless dividend reinvestment in the same security is specified. Stock splits, M&A, or other changes are accounted normally, as specified by the security.

We'll track the picks periodically throughout the year.

At the end of the contest, I will donate a 1 oz silver bar, ASE, etc. to the person with the lowest portfolio balance.

Here's to a profitable year, Have fun!

***Update 01/01/13 - I have read the interesting back-and-forth between Tigggs, cohodk and others and concluded that for the 2014 contest, there will be restrictions regarding selling naked puts and buying three quarters of a million shares of a stock with a price less than a penny. But for this year, anything goes.

Comments

• Okay. Gold, Bacon (pork Bellies), Corn (feed corn) and one stock SWHC. Thanks for doing this Wingsrule, I appreciate it!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, thanks for doing this again image

55% silver, 40% gold, 5% platinum

$4950 silver
    $3600 gold
    $ 450 platinum

* fixed percentages so they total 100%. Thanks wings for the pm image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it will do as well next year as it did this year, but I'm going to stick with my $9000 in Citigroup (C).
    Zach
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think it will do as well next year as it did this year, but I'm going to stick with my $9000 in Citigroup (C). >>

Good Luck with C. I hope you succeed, so I can finally dump mine.

$3000: FCSMF
    $3000: AGQ
    $3000 : CLCT

(disclosure...I personally own CLCT stock)

I'm tired of "playing" Blackjack....how about some 3 card poker?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    1/3$----NAV

1/3$----NFLX

1/3$----WAG

thank you!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    Pokermandude - check your math. When I went to school 45% + 40% + 5% was only 90%. Inflation, perhaps?

See, we're having fun already!
  • admp stock 100%
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about live cattle and PRAN. 50/50
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    VGSIX, the Vanguard REIT fund.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Can't fathom how many are putting all their eggs in one basket!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't fathom how many are putting all their eggs in one basket! >>

It's how many of these contests are won. Same with the ones offered on CNBC etc.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • I'll play.

1/3 WAG
    1/3 CHK
    1/3 BAC
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it's only a game/contest, I'm going with:

20% TTT

50% ULG

30% AGQ
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    SLV - 35%
    PGLC - 35%
    MOO - 30%

Wingsrule is covering the Lowest Portfolio Balance. I will cover the Highest Portfolio Balance with a 1 oz ASE.

Do we have to hold the investments all year? Can you sell and book profits or losses? Then the cash has to stay in cash, you can't reinvest it.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Year long holds, that's the game spooly.

• << <i>VGSIX, the Vanguard REIT fund. >>

I like this pick too, I've increased my asset allocation here. I'm too diversified to play, I'm going with what has kept me afloat, a hefty part of my stock allotment ( funds actually, I don't buy single stocks any more) in dividend payers. Bonds restricted to TIPS and High Yield, I've done so well here that I can afford to take a hit. Small international stock exposure and my Gold and PM funds. More weakness in gold and I would buy physical holdings, my paper PM position is larger than I like.
    I don't know how you guys put everything in one asset class, bbrrrrrr......
  • its a contest and i'm playing more on this stock for real so figured it would be fun
    as a side bar i rolled my funds out long ago this is house money
    merry christmas to all and happy new year best of luck
  • #3 100oz silver bars...$9,000.00. All in one basket, wish me luck. :-)
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • 50% BAC
    25% MT
    25% FTR

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year I played to hit a grand slam, this year I'm going to play smart. Highest percentage return wins right?
    My pick will be to sell the Apple January 2014 250 puts.

imageimage

Edit to change from 350 to 250.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    1/2 RAX
    1/2 SAP
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    CAG

V

BAC
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with:

FSPTX Fidelity tech
    PPH Pharm. ETF
    MON

Even allocation.

And thanks
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with:

TSLA
    SLV
    ABX

Even allocation amongst all three.

Thanks!
  • razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    1/3 each

PTTRX
    MSLPD
    SLV
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • OK here goes

1/3---VRNG
    1/3---CLSN
    1/3---NBY

This will be fun, and I'll do some research on some of ya'll picks.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since no one has said it yet I'll go with 100% in Silver bullion. (today's price is $29.92 USD).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    100% into QQQ Jan 2014 54 Put Link

Thanks for doing this, will be fun to watch!

Edit to change 53 to 54
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since no one has said it yet I'll go with 100% in Silver bullion. (today's price is $29.92 USD). >>

You have to wait for next week. 2012 prices don't count
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Thank Wingsrule for doing this again!
    It has been fun to watch, this year I want to be part of the game even though I know nothing about stock/investment!
    This is the allocation of my 9,000 bucks:

AAPL $2500
    Ag $3500
    Pt $2500
    FB $500

Good luck everyone!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    Spreadsheet completed up to here (including corrections issued by Pokermandude, cohodk and OperationButter).
  • pwrful4pwrful4 Posts: 282 ✭✭
    1/3 silver bullion
    1/3 F
    1/3 chk
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Spreadsheet completed up to here (including corrections issued by Pokermandude, cohodk and OperationButter). >>

go ahead and put me at the bottom. That way it can only improve.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JAG 25%
    CGR 25%
    XRA 25%
    KGJI 25%

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% AAPL
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    New money being invested in 2013:

70% Silver
    20% Gold
    10% a junior mining company - Medinah Minerals - MDMN

I am staying away from equities. There may be a spike up once the fiscal cliff is settled but then reality will set in that we are still in deep #### and getting worse by the day because the problems were not solved. If there is a crash in equities, I will have lots of dry powder but at age 57, I am not going to put our good size nest egg in danger of a 2008 like fall in equites. I will wait until the dust settles.

Ken
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 35,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

imageimage

Sounds like you expect a not-so-good market next year.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Last year I played to hit a grand slam, this year I'm going to play smart. Highest percentage return wins right?

imageimage

Edit to change from 350 to 250. >>

Thats not a viable position to take given the limits imposed. Suggesting this position implies that you lack an understanding of how options work. You can't even sell to open 1 contract on AAPL without going over the margin req's needed. What level options activity are you approved at? Perhaps you meant a different order. If you thought AAPL will decline, a buy to open of 6 350 puts contracts could be done which would be 9k.

<< <i>My pick will be to sell the Apple January 2014 250 puts.

imageimage

Sounds like you expect a not-so-good market next year.image >>

Being short puts is a bullish trade.

<< <i>

<< <i>Last year I played to hit a grand slam, this year I'm going to play smart. Highest percentage return wins right?

imageimage

Edit to change from 350 to 250. >>

Thats not a viable position to take given the limits imposed. Suggesting this position implies that you lack an understanding of how options work. You can't even sell to open 1 contract on AAPL without going over the margin req's needed. What level options activity are you approved at? Perhaps you meant a different order. If you thought AAPL will decline, a buy to open of 6 350 puts contracts could be done which would be 9k. >>

Oh, how I love comments like this. The margin requirement for 1 short AAPL Jan 250 put is $2500.

FWIW---If AAPL is at about $500 this time next year I will have a return of about 98%. But like many have said before you, I don't know much. image

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    100% OMEX
  • i hope next year new rules can't play it unless your really doing it huh
    or at least stated would do it if could
    then we'll see where this is really going don't have to be the amount stated just
    skin in the game or want to have skin in the game
    happy new years hope every one has had a happy holiday season
  • Thanks for doing this for 2012, and 2013! I appreciate it!

I am going to go whole hog for Visa in 2013- did well in 2012.

My pick:

$9,000: Visa (V)

Happy New Year!

Jimmy L.
    Jimmy L.
    Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000, lordmarcovan, WTCG, PRoemisch, Hayden, bolivarshagnasty, nibanny, morgan3896, WaterSport
  • MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    New at this, but here goes.

25% physical generic silver (bought and sold at melt)
    25% ESR (iShares MSCI Emerg Mkts Eastern Eur Idx)
    25% GDXJ (Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF)
    25% CS (Credit Suisse Group)

Wish me luck! Oops, I forgot this is a competition.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • I'll make the same pick as 2012. My thinking is that it is my best idea for real money, not play money.

PERM is a permanent portfolio ETF. The downside to that is the 0.5% annual expense ratio (vs. more like 0.1 or 0.2 for the components). The bonus is that rebalancing is automatic, and the modest dividends are reinvested.

As for option trades, the margin requirements on short option sales depend on the exchange minimums, the particular broker, the trader's experience level and account size, and how the account is setup. A big baller such as Cohodk may well get that trade for $2500 margin, translating into 10x virtual leverage vs risk (full risk is $25000 if AAPL drops to zero), because he is a major player, with many years of experience. I'll leave it to the judges how to adjudicate and which opening price to use on what might be a thinly traded option. I am tempted to play the Price is Right game and take a slightly better trade in the same vein so I would edge him out if AAPL doesn't drop. That would be mean though, and many things I may be, but mean is not one of them.

I will make what I hope to be an educational post about the results of the DOW 30 vs. the 2012 contest picks, in a separate thread after the final results are in. I find it interesting, others might find it boring.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    WFT

Mortgage the house. Maybe this will be the year they figure out how to count money, pay the bills on time, and avoid the tax problems.

It could happen.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100%:

Buy January 2014 $32 call options on SLV.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    50% Apple
    25% Chipotle (CMG)
    25% VPU
    Sounds like you expect a not-so-good market next year. image>>

Being short puts is a bullish trade.

Don't confuse me with the facts. I'm confused enough already.image I'm sure there's a reason you'd want to short some puts instead of just buying some calls, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I knew it would happen.
    Redtiger..anyone can trade the aapl puts for the same margin requirement. It matters not the size of ones account.