Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's November 2012 BALTIMORE SHOW REPORT w/Lots of Pics!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, yes, the rumors are true – I finally ditched my Blackberry and bought an iPhone 5! So, hopefully you’ll see a little better quality pics in this report.

So I left my house around 10am on Wednesday for the airport (which is less than 10 min. from my house), arrived at the John Wayne airport in plenty of time for my noon flight - the OC airport is one of the airports that usually requires a bag search so I always get there early but was pleasantly surprised when they let my bags go through with no search! So I decided to start trying out my new iPhone camera.

This is a picture of the wine tasting bar that was right across from my gate. You can actually buy a bottle of wine and bring it on board the plane, and the flight attendants will even open it for you! Needless to say, I’m a member of their wine club!

This is looking out on a beautiful sunny 85 degree day in OC, knowing that I would soon be landing in 40 degree Baltimore!

Again, playing with my iPone camera features – this one lets me turn the camera on myself (boy, not sure if I like this feature – it seems to highlight all those wrinkles that I thought were a little less apparent!)

I soon arrived for my connecting flight in Phoenix where I had an almost 3 hour layover, so of course I found a nice little cubby hole where I could hang out!

I finally arrived in Baltimore just after midnight. I ran into another dealer at the baggage claim who happened to be staying at my same hotel, so we it was nice to be able to share a cab. For some reason our bags took about half an hour to finally appear on the carousel. It was about 1:30am when I finally got to the hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised that they upgraded my room to a nice corner room. Here are some photos of Baltimore I took from my room at night.

And in the morning (through dirty windows)

Then I quickly passed out on my big super huge soft cozy bed! Then, suddenly, it was time to get up!

Set up on Thursday was 8am, so I dragged myself and my bags over to the convention center. While grabbing my badge, I ran into these two gentlemen –

David Crenshaw/Whitman and John Kreljevich/Pistareen

I also saw this very kind gentleman at the Stack’s table who graciously allowed me to take his photo…

David Bowers

When I made it to my booth, Todd was irritatingly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and had just about finished setting up his photo booth (he had arrived the day before and was already acclimated to the time change). So he left while I began slowly setting out my coins. After I finished, I went out to the lobby and took some photos before the public was let in.

Here are me and Todd ready for business!

Matt/BillyGoatsGruff of Pinnacle was once again our back door neighbor

And here’s Todd and Wei/WTCG who was giving me some lessons on taking photos with my iPhone – so I turned my camera/phone on him when he wasn’t expecting it!

Here’s a view of the bourse looking straight out from our table

I had brought these “self-contained” little wine little glasses of wine to try out at the show. All you did was peel off the lid and drink – surprisingly, they weren’t too bad. So Thursday afternoon when things slowed down, I brought them out - I used Rick as a guinea pig!

After the show ended, we went out to one of our favorite restaurants in Little Italy – Da Mimmo’s

This is Neil (Rick’s FBI friend), Rick and me

Then we ended up at the Power Plant to re-visit our favorite dueling piano bars – Howl at the Moon (if you’re ready my past Baltimore show reports, these photos may look familiar)!

This guy was singing an Elton John song – hence, the weird glasses!

No Irish Car Bombs this time around for me – just Guinness

These are the little slips you fill out when requesting a song

Me

Me trying to take another photo of me (notice, less wrinkles on this one – I think I’m getting the hang of this iPhone camera!)

This young lady is a very talented singer – her version of “Rolling in the Deep” was amazing!

Boys being boys!

Did I mention that Rick and Neil have known each other since they were in elementary school?!

Mine was the first message on the message board – yeah, I know, this was a pretty lame message but my boys went to UC Irvine and Anteaters are really UC Irvine’s mascot!

Neil’s daughter goes to Auburn – he told me the story about what “War Eagle” had to do with Auburn but I forgot.

On Friday and Saturday, several board members stopped by our table to say hi and/or have Todd shoot some photos of coins, and even to look at some of my copper!

John/Crypto

Robert/Orville

Mike/Goldbully

Some board members prefer to remain “incognito”
Jeff/Coppercolor’s backpack

Broadstruck’s foot

Here are photos I took around the bourse

NGC

PCGS

Stacks Bowers Lot Viewing/Pickup

Dino-Lite Folks

Whitman Folks

This is a stunning proof that Rick Snow just acquired – it’s a PCGS PF66 Deep Cameo 1864 Copper Nickel Proof Indian Cent

I posted in another thread that I’m preparing an article on “Penny Exonumia” and ever since, I have received several messages from people about pieces they have or know of, and been offered several interesting pieces. Here are some I recently acquired, including a few interesting ones from John Kraljevich.

These are very cool and rare salt and pepper shakers made from Lincoln cents

This is a bicycle made from a British pence and farthing

This is a zinc cent encasement (I believe the encasement is modern) but encased 1943 cents are not common

This is a “V” for Victory pin made from Lincoln pennies by soldiers, known as “Trench Art”

This is a Victory day encased penny I acquired from John

This is an encased 1909 Lincoln cent with attached Lincoln pin which is rare

This is a very cool “snuff box” made from British pennies I got from Gary Groll

This is a rare “Sticker Penny” I acquired from John Kraljevich – note, this one is an advertising for “Wonder Bread” which as many of you know is one of the products made by the now-bankrupt Hostess company

This is another rare piece I got from John – a “Hobo Penny”

A scarce Roosevelt “pop out” penny made from a 1904 Indian cent

After the show on Friday, a group of us headed over to my favorite Chinese restaurant – PF Changs

Greg and Neil

Mark, Me and Rick Snow

The harbor across the street from PF Changs

During the show, several of my regular “vest pocket” dealers stopped by my table to show me their copper. Wow, they had some amazing pieces of copper that I couldn’t pass them up. Among other pretty pennies, I bought two AU 1877 Indian cents, three 1909-S Indian cents in AU and MS, one of the most beautiful 1869 Indian cents I’ve seen (next to the one in my personal collection), several key Lincoln cents, and a gorgeous 1864 Small Motto Two Cent in PCGS MS64. I think I bought more coins at this show than any other show! Here is a photo of just some of the coins I bought throughout the show.

Saturday turned out to be much busier than I expected. I had several nice sales all the way up until I had to start packing up. And overall, it was a fantastic show for me. And from some of the other dealers I talked to, they thought this was a really good show, but even more so, it was a great buying show – and I have to agree!

Soon, I was all packed up and headed to the airport. Again, I was pleasantly surprised that TSA didn’t need to inspect my bags so I breezed on through security and had extra time for a pre-flight beverage – this time, a very tasty mango margarita!

As is not unusual, I ran into people I knew at my gate -this is Ian Russell of GreatCollections.com who was at the gate right next to mine getting some work done.

I also ran into Corbin from PCGS who happened to be sitting right behind me on my flight to Phoenix = he promised not to kick my seat too hard if I snored!

That’s it for this show report - bye-bye Baltimore until next March….

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Thanks for another great show report Charmy image

I'll get to Balto some day!!!
  • Amazing report as always
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Glad you had a great show. I really really really enjoy your reports.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another super report. I wish that I could have been at Baltimore. I have been to all of the ANA Baltimore shows but have never been to a Whitman Baltimore show.image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of your best reports ever, Charmy.
    Your images have never been better......loved the wine glass with "wine legs" and a jet playing peekaboo!
    Thanks for all you do for this forum......it's most appreciated.

edited to add: It was great chatting with you and Todd this weekend.....your iPhone Image skills will develop like a fine wine.....wait and see. image
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy. People around here were going a little nuts waiting for it.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    So what became of that Blackberry? Chukked into the Inner Harbor I hope.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    That 64 PR 66DCAM just looks fantastic.

Thanks for the report.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Great report as usual and the photos are much improved from the previous ones.

I thought the bicycle made in england from their copper pieces was very cool.
  • Yea!!!!!!

My weekend is now complete with the Charmy report.

Thank you Charmy.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks fora another report!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • ThePennyLady Wow! That is a great report! Now I know who to hang with at shows!image

<< <i>ThePennyLady Wow! That is a great report! Now I know who to hang with at shows!image >>

Uhhhhhhh, wait just a minute, musicman.....take a number and get in line!!! image
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. Thanks for sharing my 1864 PR66DCAM. Shows how fine a person you are that you don't mind a little competition.

The show was well attended and very busy!

Perhaps there is a vibration reduction setting on the camera you should activate.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Great Report! Thanks!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very entertaining show report with great pictures.

Thanks for sharing Charmy image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice - of the pics, Oreville's is my favorite. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Another fantastic show and pic report Charmy. Love reading them all.

Mike

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always enjoyable Charmy, thanks for sharing. Maybe one day I can meet you and Todd in person!

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    You never disappoint, thanks
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big improvement IMO
    LCoopie = Les
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Another solid report and as always, love the many pictures. Thanks! image
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report! Awesome, as usual......

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great report as usual image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

You guys work hard and play hard.
    How you bounce back from all that
    Jet Lag, is beyond me.

Nice Show Report - it's become a staple
    for us home bound. See you at FUN.

PS: Nice SHOE B/S !!!!!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Great photo report and great choice of food!

I also recommend The Prime Rib. It is an outstanding "old school" steak house and has a great wine list.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Great Report as always Charmy!
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again everyone! I'm still learning how to use the phone, and need to practice focusing a little better when I'm holding the camera, but all in all, it's certainly a great improvement. And I really appreciate all the tips to all the things this iPhone can do. Hopefully, my Houston show report photos will be even better!
  • I live in southcentral Indiana and they don't have to many big shows within driving distance of me so I really enjoy your show reports, thanks.

<< <i>image

GAK! image >>

Must be freshly certified.....does not come up in PCGS Certification page.

PCGS Cert. Page
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks again everyone! I'm still learning how to use the phone, and need to practice focusing a little better when I'm holding the camera, but all in all, it's certainly a great improvement. And I really appreciate all the tips to all the things this iPhone can do. Hopefully, my Houston show report photos will be even better! >>

80% of the battle is not moving when you snap the picture, especially in low light situations.

By the way, P.F. Changs is not a "Chinese restaurant" in the true sense of things.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Another good job, Charmy. Thanks.
    Every man is a self made man.

• << <i>

<< <i>Thanks again everyone! I'm still learning how to use the phone, and need to practice focusing a little better when I'm holding the camera, but all in all, it's certainly a great improvement. And I really appreciate all the tips to all the things this iPhone can do. Hopefully, my Houston show report photos will be even better! >>

80% of the battle is not moving when you snap the picture, especially in low light situations.

By the way, P.F. Changs is not a "Chinese restaurant" in the true sense of things. >>

Well it isn't Mexican that's for sure!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah...good to see your report Charmy..missed it when first posted. I am not sure about those 'peel off' wine glasses.... saw them in a market in Illinois (where I am working). Did not try them, however, might be good as an emergency supply. That IHC that Rick has is awesome. Thanks for the report.... Cheers, RickO
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, P.F. Changs is not a "Chinese restaurant" in the true sense of things. >>

Wei, Oh PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE! That's like saying that Macaroni Grill isn't really Italian! See you in Houston....

<< <i>might be good as an emergency supply >>

Ricko, that's exactly why I bought them, because I didn't have room/weight allowance in my check-on bag for a regular bottle of wine so I thought I'd give these little things a try. They were on par with 2 Buck Chuck - not great, but not bad. By the way, we had a nice bottle of Coppola at that "Chinese restaurant" but I forgot to take a picture!
  • Thanks, Charmy, for a great report. I felt like I was there!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's with JK's "Mad Russian" look, I must have missed the thread on that. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

• << <i>

<< <i>By the way, P.F. Changs is not a "Chinese restaurant" in the true sense of things. >>

Wei, Oh PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE! >>

Argumentative little cus, isn't he? imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file