Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's September 2012 LONG BEACH SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
I believe the Long Beach show is getting better and better! CU is doing everything they can to improve the attendance by both dealers and collectors at this show. They had every table filled and also had very good attendance by the public.

Set up began at noon on Wednesday. The day was really warm but we had some light rain too, so that made it very muggy.

And since the large warehouse door was open in the back so the dealers could unload their inventory, they didn’t turn on the air conditioner, so for a few hours it was terribly hot and muggy inside the bourse. They eventually closed the large door and turned on the air conditioner! This is the loading dock at the back of the convention center where most of the dealers load/unload (with the loading door closed)

After my booth was ready to go, I walked around the bourse to hunt for some coins on my customer want lists. I didn’t find the specific coins I was looking for but found some nice raw early copper for general inventory.

A friend of mine knows I collect penny teapots and brought me over three more for my collection, two Indian cents and a Canadian cent, so I decided to display them all in my case!

Soon it was time to open a bottle of wine I had gotten from Temecula! This is a very handy wine opener set my son brought me from Italy.

Then at 5pm, CU once again treated all the dealers to taquitos and beer.

After set up, a group of us headed to our usual Wednesday night dinner spot in Naples – Pasta Al Dente. We all bring a nice bottle of wine to share with each other. Here are a couple of them.

On Thursday, there was quite a bit of public coming through the doors and they eventually tricked back towards the center of the room where my table is, so soon we were quite busy. In between sales, several “vest pocket” dealers stopped by to show me their copper and I ended up buying quite a few nice pieces, including some 18th and early 19th century certified large cents. Later in the day I got a chance to check out some of the exhibits, as well as take some photos around the bourse.

PCGS and NGC were busy as usual

This is a very helpful map of the bourse and dealers set up in the middle of the room

I also took photos of several dealers – including of course Mark Feld on two different days!

John from Sierra Gold & Coin

Bonnie with Albanese Rare Coins

Larry Shapiro/PQPeace

Todd Pollock/Blu62vette

Rick Snow/EagleEye

More very cool errors at Fred Weinberg’s table!

This is fellow forum member Bryce M who stopped by my table a few times to look at some pretty red Indian cents. Bryce is one of the nicest guys, very patiently waited for me to finish with some other customers, and was very enjoyable to talk with. He eventually bought a beautiful red 1909 Indian cent.

Later in the afternoon, we opened a very appropriate and quite decent bottle of “Three Coins” Syrah wine that I had brought

After the show, my son (who recently returned from a year in Italy and was helping me at the show) joined a large group of coin dealers at Napes Ribs. We filled our own separate room at the restaurant and then some! And the food at Napes Ribs is absolutely amazing, not to mention abundant!

Me and my son Erik

Rick Snow, Cindy (Logan’s daughter Cindy of Vam’s & More), and John (Grassy Valley Coins)

Jeff (a VAM guy) and Matt/BillGoat on the left, Todd and Ian Russell (GreatCollections.com) on the right

Me and Tim (one of the VAM guys)

Friday started out a little slow but soon the room was abuzz with plenty of public meandering around the bourse. I ended up having a very busy day, and didn’t even get to open the wine until later in the day.

This is me and my bff wine buddy Cindy of Vam’s & More

Friday night we went to another Italian Restaurant down in Napes called Russos. It was very very good! There were 7 of us, and we each had brought a bottle of wine. The restaurant was very kind and only charged us $5 per bottle for corkage (we usually pay anywhere from $10-$20 per bottle at most restaurants).

After dinner, a couple of the guys ordered these beautiful and delicious desserts – crème brule and cheesecake. They even torched the crème brule at our table!

Saturday was pretty slow, which allowed me time to prepare a large group of coins to submit to PCGS, gather up coins for Todd to photograph, and pick out some coins to place in Ian Russell’s auction at GreatCollections.com. Then, too soon, it was once again time to pack up and head for home.

Overall, it was a very good show for me, probably a B+. I heard some dealers say they had a pretty slow show, but I know of several who said they had their best show ever! Again, kudos to Expos Unlimited and Collectors Universe for working so hard to improve this wonderful show!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Great Report!! Ive always wanted to go to a Long Beach show.
  • rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    thanks for the report, wish I was there
    palmer
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Thanks again Charmy for taking the time and effort to report and include all the great pics.

Mike
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report! I would have enjoyed viewing the Gerald Forsythe WLH collection!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds and looks like it was fun. Thanks for the pix! image

You didn't see anybody sporting the long lost Weeniecoin, now, did you? image

It's been MIA for like forever, now. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    As always, a great report!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great report. Those California girls really love their wines!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy......you are such an asset to this forum and the numismatic world.

Of note.....I believe you really captured the passion of Mr. Feld in this pic! image

• i like the name Long Beach "Charm" Report better! -Milk
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great report Charmy......you are such an asset to this forum and the numismatic world.

Of note.....I believe you really captured the passion of Mr. Feld in this pic! image

image >>

Passion or confusion?

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

• << <i>

<< <i>Great report Charmy......you are such an asset to this forum and the numismatic world.

image >>

Passion or confusion? >>

I thought this picture looked more like a guy that recently escaped from .... image
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff (a VAM guy) and Matt/BillGoat on the left, Todd and Ian Russell (GreatCollections.com) on the right

"Jeff (a VAM guy)" is an understatement of epic proportions... like saying Yo-Yo Ma plays a little fiddle. Next to Van Allen and Mallis -- their initials stand for VAM -- Jeff Oxman is The Man in our crazy little part of numismatics. And he's one of the nicest human beings I have ever met.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report hope to go there soon
  • Nice report and pictures. Exactly what is a "vest pocket" dealer? See the term used but not sure what it means.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice report and pictures. Exactly what is a "vest pocket" dealer? See the term used but not sure what it means. >>

It's just a term for a dealer who doesn't have a table but walks the show and brings coins to sell to dealers at their tables.
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've shopped at GreatCollections.com. I like that site a lot.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

• << <i>

<< <i>Nice report and pictures. Exactly what is a "vest pocket" dealer? See the term used but not sure what it means. >>

It's just a term for a dealer who doesn't have a table but walks the show and brings coins to sell to dealers at their tables. >>

Thanks. I always wondered if just anyone could attend a show and sell to a dealer (without having a table) but wasn't sure if the term "vest pocket" meant something else.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's just a term for a dealer who doesn't have a table but walks the show and brings coins to sell to dealers at their tables. >>

That is one definition but it also means a person who is a coin dealer on a part time, non in-depth basis. Can be considered synonomous with "weekend warrior".
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Hey Charms, no pics from Naples of "out the door" Ernie?
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Charms, no pics from Naples of "out the door" Ernie?

Hey Charms, no pics of Wei standing outside Hooters with his face practically glued to the window? (Wish I had thought to take that picture myself!)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

<< <i>Hey Charms, no pics from Naples of "out the door" Ernie?

Hey Charms, no pics of Wei standing outside Hooters with his face practically glued to the window? (Wish I had thought to take that picture myself!) >>

Touche...
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy,

It was great to finally meet you. LB was great. Your reports are always fantastic.

I got home and showed all my NewPs to my 6 year old. You know what he liked best? Your copper "Penny Lady" token! In his eyes it was better than the $3 gold piece, 1909 Indian cent, $10 Indians, and even an MS65 Peace Dollar. Go figure. Maybe he has "the gift".
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Those were some pretty classly Napa reds you had there!
    Great report as usual.
    Thanks.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Looks like a jolly good time had by one and all. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PennyLady tokens? Do say more puhleez!
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cruel joke, giving taquitos and beers to everyone, must have been a gas.
  • Very cool, thanks for sharing image
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great report Charmy, thanks for sharing image

<< <i>Jeff (a VAM guy) and Matt/BillGoat on the left, Todd and Ian Russell (GreatCollections.com) on the right

"Jeff (a VAM guy)" is an understatement of epic proportions... like saying Yo-Yo Ma plays a little fiddle. Next to Van Allen and Mallis -- their initials stand for VAM -- Jeff Oxman is The Man in our crazy little part of numismatics. And he's one of the nicest human beings I have ever met. >>

Dennis, I definitely stand corrected and should have given Jeff the kudos he is certainly due - thank you for the clarification!

Saor, yes, I have these cool little .999 copper coin cards that I give to my customers (and CU members) who stop by my table. Here's what they look like.

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

I thought this is the "Oh my Lord my colon is about to errupt after seeing Todd's photography bill" picture that's pretty much posted after every show report of Chramy's.

image <--- MF

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

• << <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Passion or confusion? >>

I thought this picture looked more like a guy that recently escaped from .... image >>

At least one dealer is showing some gravitas like...image
  • Now, was this a coin show? or a Wine show?
    I'm soooo confused.
    I'm Just Sayin"

http://www.coinshop.com
  • NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report as usual Charmy! The wine looked really good as well!
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana

<< <i>Now, was this a coin show? or a Wine show?
    I'm soooo confused. >>

Well, I think that's a great idea - a coin AND wine show! image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these pics of food n drink, appears to be a good time being a dealer.
    I wanna be a dealer, I hate my job.
    Thanks for sharing Charmy.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

<< <i>Great pics of the show, but can we please 86 the wino pics, thanks! I appreciate it! >>

Sorry, won't happen - I like my wine, and apparently so do many other forum members - and wine photos have been part of my show reports since day 1. Realone, feel free to just "skip" over those photos if they bother you when perusing my report. image
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great pics of the show, but can we please 86 the wino pics, thanks! I appreciate it! >>

So sorry, it is the price of the admission to the thread. One bottle minimum with no complaining tolerated!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a reason I hang out at the Vamsandmore table. image
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh? I don't drink but very rarely, but I appreciate seeing wines from the homeland.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you're at it, please skip the creme brulee pics as well, I'm addicted and it's very cruel. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Great report as always Charmy!!! Thank you for always noticing the hard work that goes in to putting on the show. We had a blast and look forward to improving and delivering even more to our Long Beach dealers! Thank you again!
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy, as always....love the wine pictures. By the way, I am temporarily back at work, and in Illinois. There I found a very pleasant Cabernet - Uppercut - I highly recommend it. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Great report Charmy, as always....love the wine pictures. By the way, I am temporarily back at work, and in Illinois. There I found a very pleasant Cabernet - Uppercut - I highly recommend it. Cheers, RickO >>

Ricko, thank you, I will have to add that to my list of wines to try!
  • Yes, great report and most enjoyable. Inspirational, even. This report made me want to drive the 400 miles to attend Long Beach, something I have yet to do. Maybe next time.

I vote to keep all the wine and food pics, as they are extremely important to convey the overall feel of the experience, which is what you do so incomparably well, Charmy!

Tony Barreca

"Question your assumptions."
    "Intelligence is an evolutionary adaptation."
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb reporting Charmy, thank you.
    I see that Fred's coin still has the spring struck/stuck in it. Now how on earth did THAT make it out of the Mint???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file