Can currency exchanges accept large amounts of coins?

Hello, I am wondering if any currency exchanges can accept large amounts of coins? I collect Canadian coins from pocket change and coin roll hunting. Are currency exchanges able to accept large amounts of coins? Maybe like $500 or more on Canadian coins?

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭

No, only a handful (less than $100) - you'll have to take it to a Coinstar type machine. Most banks don't have a coin counter anymore due to a recent scandal for skimming.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I assume you are in US, and no, banks in US don't take Canadian coins, and I doubt any exchange will either. You need to go to Canada to spend or exchange them. I'm in US south of Vancouver , so I buy up the CA change at coin shops, and bring to Van. I spend it there, and the hotel I stay at will take a lot of it (in rolls) if I put it towards the bill.

Anschrift Ungenugend
  • Yes I am in the US, I'm in the Northeast so the nearest major city in Canada is Montreal for me.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

what was the name of the place that buys all sorts of foreign coin? I remember someone asking because they had a lot of pre euro german coin that is still redeemable and someone posted a link

• ajaanajaan Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭

I will buy Canadian change. PM me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Thanks for your offer Ajaan, but I'm not intrested. I'd rather be going to Canada to turn them in and get Canadian money out.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭

@Elmhurst said:
    I assume you are in US, and no, banks in US don't take Canadian coins, and I doubt any exchange will either. You need to go to Canada to spend or exchange them. I'm in US south of Vancouver , so I buy up the CA change at coin shops, and bring to Van. I spend it there, and the hotel I stay at will take a lot of it (in rolls) if I put it towards the bill.

Do you need a Canadian bank account to exchange a large amount of Canadian change?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭

I save mine up for awhile and then sell them on the BST - except the loonies and twoonies - those I'll spend next month on my long layover in Vancouver.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting discussion, thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

Do you need a Canadian bank account to exchange a large amount of Canadian change?

No. In fact most Canadian banks no longer have a coin counting machine due to a scandal at TD Bank a few years ago regarding skimming. I bring them to one of the grocery stores - pay the 8% fee - and carry on.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are TD banks down here in Mass . They are even worse than Santander .