Home U.S. Coin Forum

Latest newp , couldn't resist the urge, all opinions welcomed.

affordafford Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

And go ahead be tough on it, thanks for playing and looking.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s awesome. Congrats!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 11:29AM

That’s a great coin and die crack!

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! :)

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

massive die break, very cool!

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice. What's not to like? Especially like the die crack.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a fan of the reverse!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the die crack across the reverse, but I’m not a fan of the color which I think is a recovery on progress from dipping. Back in the 1960s or ‘70s, when the dip was probably done, most every collector thought that silver should be white, even if it was very old silver.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. It's got my vote.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

A real beauty

Frank

BHNC #203

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin, awesome die break

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score. Crack is magnificent.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look to buy, then fight the urge. I'm glad to know you're weak, in this area. And am glad to have made your acquaintance in this field.

• 1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

I love that variety due to the die crack, Al, and also have an example. Mine, like many, has a very weakly struck obverse due to the reverse die crack. I have it as the B-22 variety because I'm using the Reiver Early Dollar book. Cardinal's example is the finest I've seen, and has the most detailed obverse I've seen despite the terminal reverse state. It will be interesting to see what the toning looks like with better pictures, but either way, great coin!

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin Rocks and Congrats!

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Broken coins are the best!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin!

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking coin in this photo.

Hard for me to tell if it's been dipped without being able to hold and tilt to see what those surfaces look like under the toning. If they are dull and lifeless, then, yes, I'd say dipped but there may still be some nice flashy luster underneath.

Bill may be seeing something that is making him suspicious, maybe the blotchy toning?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

with your income, can't you afford something that isn't broken?

• TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Neat die crack. Out of my price range.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely understand why you liked this one. :)

• 23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Outstanding! Crackalicious! What a beauty.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:
    Broken coins are the best!

BUSTed. ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A really great coin and what a thrill to own coins from the 1700's.... I know you will enjoy holding this coin... Cheers, RickO

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

VERY nice coin. Do not have any buyer's remorse for this one. I usually do not like die cracks and other mint blemishes, but it looks very cool on this coin.

OINK

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats, very nice, I was going to say the obverse was very weak, until explained by the other folks here.. thanks rln

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2018 7:44AM

Neat die state. Could be ok on the toning. Though my first thought when I saw the photo was "Clorox."

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one was also graded by PCGS as AU50 (per CoinFacts), but I think the one I had owned was much more pleasing.

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's certainly a cool coin but what's going on with the U in United? Almost looks like some kind of repair.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it was. VERY much more.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. The die looks to be shot. As in broken in half. I like die cracks. That's a good one. I do agree with Bill. It has been dipped. Long ago. Who cares? Probably it was for the best. I'd take it in a flash. Nice coin!

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to here it. It's always nice when you receive a coin and it exceeds your expectations

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is there to NOT like about that coin? I love it!!! The details, the small ANACS holder AND the bisecting die break. That die break alone would be enough to suck me in. The way it just broke in half and that they just kept using it. Oh how I wish I could have heard the discussion in the coining room when that die snapped. Man that is one sweet piece of history. Congratulations!!

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice looking BB-168 and will look forward to seeing how it grades if you decide to crack it and put it in a PCGS holder. Here is mine below, I'm thinking yours may grade a bit higher.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    Neat die state. Could be ok on the toning. Though my first thought when I saw the photo was "Clorox."

Yep. Me too.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

How awesome is that to see the same die used on 4 different coins!
    Thanks for sharing fellas!

Later, Paul.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2018 10:18PM

Overgraded or just something you're not seeing?

More to the point, I suspect there's a reason that coin is in that holder at that grade, and it's not what you're thinking.

Not a bad coin, but you can do better, Al.

I'm sorry, but I would suggest passing on that coin....unless you are trying to put together some type of set, perhaps.

But it's your money and your decision, and you have the coin in hand and all I have are these darn pics. :)

I hope you and yours are well....Mike

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Thanks. I suspect that was not what you wanted to hear, but I don't pull many punches. Thanks for understanding. Take care...Mike

edited April 5, 2018 10:46PM

It's a photo, and apparently a bad one too. It certainly could be that.

And it's not like I'm a deep collector of the series, as you know I look at it as type.

Ultimately, what you think is all that matters. :)

Have a good night.

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool looking DBD!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file