Options

Removed

GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 22, 2019 11:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2018 1:18PM

Dear "LostTheBug" I promise you'll get over it. Go read a spy novel. :)

Be thankful you are not one of the young folks working at a major TPGS who look at SE all day long, all week long, all year long...

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Dear "LostTheBug" I promise you'll get over it. Go read a spy novel. :)

I agree, its like anything else, do something too long and you get tired of it. Just take a break and work on another hobby or something.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay here and you will get back in the numismatic mood :smile:

Found this in a roll of cents obtained from the bank. :smile:

OT but @Insider2 is that a new 3-wheeler?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go buy a hunk of gold, that should help get things fired back up.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try something new, an area of the hobby you never thought of exploring.
    World coins, civil war tokens, political medals, merchant tokens, etc. Some of these can be bought on the cheap, and they can provide you with hours of research and historical reflection.
    Years ago, I got burnt out on collecting Lincoln cents. Exonumia opened up a whole new world for me, one that has given me so much more pleasure than collecting by date and mintmark.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

or..........take a break for a while. Lot’s of interesting things to do out there.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a retired professional photographer I can say that the best way to screw up a hobby is to do it for a living. Take a break, it may help.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

take a break. you'll be back!

read a book about history. it may spark an interest in coins from a certain period.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Collecting Daniel Carr coins renewed my interest in coin collecting !

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I "burned out" when I sold my collection of 53 of the 58 collectible varieties of 1794 large cents a few years ago.

I thought I was done, and then I caught hold of several alleged fake early coppers back in the fall of 2015 and the research and detective work associated with evaluating them (and to a lesser extent collecting) breathed new life into Numismatics for me along with an unknown enthusiasm to write about them...

Best, Jack.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never get burned out with one of these....

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

When hitting the burnout stage, I've stepped back, stopped buying, stopped posting as much, stopped even logging in as much. I would then go to a few of my favorite coins, get them from the SDB, and hold them in my hand and look at them.

If I still liked them, I would put them back and be ok. If I didn't, I would put them in a group to eventually (sooner rather than later) sell.

I'd also look at some of the raw sets (7070, my son's toned roosevelts folder given to him by a board member), and even our SAE dansco) and just see if I still liked them.

Each time, I have found coins I still like and am happy to have (and many I am ok not having at some point...I'm just a slow seller), and have enjoyed looking at the albums again.

Going to a show never helped....though I would go and chat with board members who showed...I really enjoy some of my local board members (Lakesammman, Swampboy, Seattleslammer, RickO (when he was living here), Russ (when he was alive), and a few others. Without them, I probably wouldn't have gone to a few shows and maybe had stepped completely back from the hobby the last few years.

So, I understand the burnout thing. It can happen. I, personally, also believe that, for some like myself, the people you have around you can be a good, or a negative, influence in a hobby or anything you do. In my case, I have some very good people in this hobby that are around me. I like giving them a hard time, but I really appreciate them.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here. Dunno why. Suddenly I've started estimating the entertainment value of a newp and finding that it isn't worth it for just looking at.
    :'(

This may pass. It has before, but I've become QUITE jaded. Suddenly.
    :/

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't bought or sold anything in 2 years. Only 3 coins interest me, those to complete my type set, and they're hard to come by. You might want to go to a show and try to inspect some really nice coins that you'll never buy. It's neat to hold an all there 1895 O Barber Dime in MS 65, or flawless 1794 Unc. Large Cent in your hands.

But stay away from the estate stuff. I did this six years ago, and never again. In four hours, I saw two coins worth looking at.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have "quit" coin collecting several times in the past, the worst event was when my ex took off with my complete set of AU-BU FE and Indian cents, I swore that was the last straw and would never collect coins again.
    I have always been a coin collector no matter what other interests I have been involved in, coin collecting has always been in the back of my mind, I think it's even engraved in my DNA.
    I have had a bazillion hobbies that I have spent a bazillion dollars on ( well......let's just say that in my world I have spent a lot of money on my hobbies) and my money is now going back to my true <3 .
    I hope I don't kill the mood by posting a 2 cent piece.....

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an idea. Don't ever do that again. Problem solved!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:

I've completely lost my enthusiasm

That's ok your only human.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very timely thread. I was about to start a similar one myself on the same topic. In my case, it took me years (more like decades) just to figure out what I really wanted to collect. For years I chose quantity over quality and I had lots of turnovers. Coin dealers loved me. Anyway, about 8 to 10 years ago I figured out what I really wanted to collect and set my goals. Early last year I pretty much got there. When I completed my set, and other key collectables, I re-energized my interest with a crash upgrade program. (I'd be in the top 50 if I registered my main set today) Now that's about done and I'm finding myself at a bit of a loss. The hunt is over and I'm not really interested in many other types of coins. Maybe I'll take another break for a few years and see what happens.

Same thing happen with my gun collection. Once I figured out what I wanted and got there, I was done. Haven't been to a gun show in years!

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about some seated liberty no drapery coinage

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe try something different? I started a lincoln set and a US type set - but both turned out to be incredibly daunting, and in the end not as much fun as I'd hoped.

So I've been hanging out on the dark side. I've been excited to find some REALLY old coins, even in reasonable grades, for a fraction of the cost for a US coin (if one existed). Here's a half Thaler from the Teutonic Order - note the date.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

My suggestion:
    1.Take a break. Then...
    2. Go after a part of the hobby that interests YOU. You know there is something out there or you wouldn't be here.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Realgator said. Been there, done that. Take a break, go fishing or camping, or... Then look for something new that you find interesting.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Yes. New chair made for me by a member (jtlee321) as I lost my original. :)

Back on track. Now I know who you is.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this! I believe you did someone a favor selling their coins for them. You got a taste for what dealers go through all the time! Kick back and Enjoy What You have Collected! That said you must not enjoy enough to sell also!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hit the wall in 2013/2014. The break was good for the soul.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've completely lost my enthusiasm

I nominate this thread for 2018 US Coin Forum best in Empathy Award.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2018 9:28PM

I got burned out buying, so now I do a lot of reading and I participate here on the chat boards.

I honestly think that it's nice to just sit back and enjoy what you already have.

I'm only looking for a few coins for my set, now, so being more discriminating helps, too.

I also enjoy going to shows where I can find interesting coins that are outside of my area of collecting and that don't cost a lot-- that helps keep my interest up. Spending anywhere from $50 to $200 on a Franklin, Morgan or Peace dollar is an example. Cheap fun!

A co-worker's father passed away not long ago and he inherited a bunch of coins. He asked me to do an appraisal for him, since he knew I was interested in the hobby and because he knew that my appraisal would be accurate, so that he wouldn't get ripped off. It was a little tedious but I didn't mind, at all, and I felt good that I helped them. I also got to play with some really cool stuff. ;) I was glad to help him, because I feel that what comes around goes around. He really appreciated it and I enjoyed it, too.

Taking a break is fine and it's actually healthy but leaving all together is not imho.

Hope you stick around.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I picked up my high grade "can only walk in a circle nickel" today. Nothing like have a 3 Legged Buffalo nickel in your hand, to make a collector smile.

This is one of the coins that I thought I would never own personally.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it's like a dimmer switch. Sometimes it's all the way up, sometimes all the way down. Right now it's about 3/4 off.

I still love my collection, but it's harder for me to justify sidelining more money into coins at this point, unless it's something really special. The deal now is, it takes a lot more than it used to for me to think its special. I think that's a good thing really and a neat place to be after collecting for 20 plus years.

Also, my current list of responsibilities make it tough to really hunt and be on top of things, so I miss opportunities. I'm ok with that, I can finally take it or leave if without stressing over anything. I know the day will come when I can focus again, the coins will wait.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2018 10:24PM

I wished I could have your "problem" but my advise is take a nice break and don't even think nor dream about it.
    Recharge emotionally and mentally you'll know when it time to return.......

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to post something similar earlier. I'm losing steam. Fees here this there, I haven't even enjoyed my big score of slabs or even prepared listings.

I bought 200 dollars in cents from people here and it's all been trash and a waste of time. Five bucks of non-bent uncleaned vf30 or better A bunch of other crap, but keeping up with the mushroom side of my account and buying/selling coins isn't leaving me time to sit and chill with a few boxes and spend an afternoon enjoying them.

I got a message earlier from a repeat customer and he's buying two months rent on Tuesday. Normally I'd be excited for all the coins I'm going to buy, but I haven't started looking.

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take time off and just enjoy the pieces you already have. Each one of them probably has a happy story associated with its acquisition.

I do think that most of us collectors eventually reach the age when buying more "things" to fill up safe deposit boxes seems to lose importance as it's stuff that someone else will have to deal with someday.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several hobbies, so getting burned out on one really does not happen. I do think that too much focus for too long a period could have that effect on anyone. I recommend having a balance in your activities... It works for me and others I know... And @CCGGG...I never get tired of gun shows... just too much variety and, much like coins, a lot of stuff that, although I do not want, is neat to handle and look at. If I get a tad jaded with coins or guns, I can always 'deep dive' a cave... that really clears your mind.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wander outside and garden for a while, burn some incense, grateful for the serenity of my life. No one should have only one vocation or hobby. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@acloco said:
    I picked up my high grade "can only walk in a circle nickel" today. Nothing like have a 3 Legged Buffalo nickel in your hand, to make a collector smile.

This is one of the coins that I thought I would never own personally.

Yep. That one will put a big smile on your face. Mine is a lustery AU that is an original Montana coin. I bought it for $500.00 back in the day and never looked back.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I was almost completely out of the hobby from 2013-late last year. My life changed drastically that year when I came literally five minutes short of dying from a disease I didn't know I had. I never really got back to the hobby when I got out of the hospital. I still read the Numismatist every issue, and made an occasional rare purchase, but that was about it. Then, all of a sudden last year, I just started missing my collection and the hobby and now I'm back...sort of. I haven't actually looked at my physical collection yet, but I have looked at my scans quite a bit. For me, the documentation of the collection is more important, having the items physically is really just a means to an end... can't document what I don't have. I try to get on the forum at least every other day, sometimes more.
    This has never been my #1 hobby, but even that I took a short downtime in, in 2008-09, and faced burnout with that too. Interestingly, my time period of not doing much with my main hobby, was when I was putting the most effort into this hobby.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I got bored with my coins, put them up. Now into currency.

Ken

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 2:09PM

Stuff to follow

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Going through estate coins has done that to me too. It's a bear. And when there's nothing exciting or interesting it becomes a chore I can't wait to finish.

A little R&R works for me. Maybe take some time off? I'd hate to see your forum name changed to LostTheBug.

I've also found renewed interest by studying my own collection and reshooting some of it.
    Lance.

Edited to add...Here's a fun coin I recently found on ebay in an old ANACS holder with horrible pictures, now in a PCGS AU55 holder.

Wow, how'd I miss that one?

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might consider sifting the chafe from your collection and sit on your hobby cash for awhile. Next time you see a coin that stirs the blood, you'll be ready and that will rekindle your flame.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn, I should have thought you would have been over it by now! It has been an entire day!

• Options

@Catbert said:
    You might consider sifting the chafe from your collection and sit on your hobby cash for awhile. Next time you see a coin that stirs the blood, you'll be ready and that will rekindle your flame.

If it were that easy, I'd do it in a jack second.

BUT..... once you "miss" one of your dumpees, and...then... see if you can find another.....
    well...........

It don't quite work out like that.

I don't really NEED some of my coins.

Really.

No, honest....

Not really.

Nope....

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

We'll write you a 'prescription' for SeroVital, the alternative Anti-Aging breakthrough designed to reduce body fat, support natural hormone levels, increase energy, improve mood, immune function, boost anti-oxidants, and revive your coin-collecting life.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smoeone needs to formulate Coin Viagra.

• Options

Will I have to be sure to tell my doctor if I'm allergic to SeroVital or ready for diarrhea, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, tension headache, and death?

I've already told him I've have had feelings of depression, suicidal thoughts and behavior but he attributed that to the coins themselves.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 2:10PM

It costs more than $27.50 to get a coin graded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file