Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 NFL Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jason Whitten announces that he is retiring and likely joining MNF. He’s been half of his former self the past few years. I’m happy for him

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want the Pats to get Mason Rudolph, I wanted them to get Lamar Jackson first but now that he is gone Rudolph is the guy. I don’t know why they grabbed that RB, James White and company are just fine

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I want the Pats to get Mason Rudolph, I wanted them to get Lamar Jackson first but now that he is gone Rudolph is the guy. I don’t know why they grabbed that RB, James White and company are just fine

110% agree. I wanted Jackson first but getting Rudolph would be a great addition. I think Jackson and Rudulph will be the two best QB’s from this draft five years from now

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I'm all for drafting a developmental QB I'm just glad they didn't trade up for one in the first. Between the guard/tackle & rb last night and the trade today it looks like their biggest priority was to take some of the burden off of Brady.
    I know alot of Pats fans aren't happy today because they didn't go D last night but the defense has already been upgraded. They already traded for Shelton & Mccourty,signed Clayborn and will get Hightower,Valentine & Rivers back from IR.
    I think their biggest needs are another LB & that QB to groom and after that its all roster depth with their picks.

• Options

Pats have the 11th pick tonight with the Giants,Broncos & Dolphins ahead of them and the Redskins,Steelers,Chargers & Bengals behind them who all could go QB with their picks. Pats would probably have to move up to get Rudolph if he's the best QB available.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was bummed when Indy took Nelson, but we ended up with Roquan Smith and Skip Bayless said he's the best player in the draft. really nothing for me to be other than exultant cuz Skipper knows all things sports and is never wrong

• Options

David Akers with an epic troll job on Cowboys fans lol

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 9:46AM

Damn Belichick just traded back twice in the 4th already. He must really hate this draft.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Damn Belichick just traded back twice in the 4th already. He must really hate this draft.

The Lions and Pats are bestie’s

m

• Options

Looks like Bill is really going out of his way to turn that Garoppolo 2nd into more picks. This is what they've done with that original 49ers 2nd so far:
    2019 2nd-round pick from Bears
    2019 3rd-round pick from Lions
    2018 6th-round pick from Browns (No. 178)
    CB Duke Dawson drafted last night

That 2019 Bears 2nd has a good chance of landing as high as the 49ers 2nd (#43) they got for Garoppolo. Their next QB is probably coming in next year's draft.

• Options

Oh good for the Cowboys! They get rid of a overpaid underachieving Dez Bryant and pick up another overpriced underachieving WR lol

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Looks like Bill is really going out of his way to turn that Garoppolo 2nd into more picks. This is what they've done with that original 49ers 2nd so far:

That 2019 Bears 2nd has a good chance of landing as high as the 49ers 2nd (#43) they got for Garoppolo. Their next QB is probably coming in next year's draft.

Would have been easier to just make a good trade in the first place. They gave Jimmy G away without even calling any other teams.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

Nobody outsmarts Bill Belichick, and I mean nobody.

The only chance against him is to get luckier.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

Would have been easier to just make a good trade in the first place. They gave Jimmy G away without even calling any other teams.

I agree that he could have found a better deal elsewhere but it is what it is at this point. I was all for sticking with Brady for as long as possible and still am.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Vikings traded up to get a kicker? lol

• Options

Its official,the Pats just drafted Brady's replacement with the 219th pick.....Danny Etling out of LSU.

• Options

I bet at least one of the first four qb's selected will end up being a career backup

• Options

I doubt he'll amount to much but if Belichick,Josh McDaniels & Brady could turn Matt Cassel into a decent NFL backup QB ,when he never started a single game in college, who knows. Best case scenario is he eventually replaces Brian Hoyer on the cheap at some point.

• Options

Forget having to be the guy that replaces Tom Brady,this kid will have some big shoes to fill replacing Jimmy Garoppolo ;)

• Options
    edited May 1, 2018 9:22AM
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/01/agent-says-patriots-considered-trading-up-to-no-2-for-baker-mayfield/
    Why trade up to #2 for Baker when they can just get him from Cleveland three years from now for a 4th?

The Giants wanted Barkley because they evidently wished for a future of 6-10, 7-9, perhaps if they get lucky 8-8 type seasons with a declining QB and nobody to take his place, and a star RB in Barkley who yes will have many great games but in mostly losing efforts.

• Options

The Pats had their chance on potentialy a good QB to sit and learn behind Brady but they destroyed that by drafting a RB when they did :D

• Options

And how about Big Ben Roth all of a sudden AFTER the Steelers draft a QB stating he wants to play another 3-5 years now??? What a clown, he was thinking of retiring last year! I bet he thinks Brady’s days are numbered and he will have a fair shot at another Super Bowl after Brady retires lol

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/01/agent-says-patriots-considered-trading-up-to-no-2-for-baker-mayfield/
    Why trade up to #2 for Baker when they can just get him from Cleveland three years from now for a 4th?

The Giants wanted Barkley because they evidently wished for a future of 6-10, 7-9, perhaps if they get lucky 8-8 type seasons with a declining QB and nobody to take his place, and a star RB in Barkley who yes will have many great games but in mostly losing efforts.

Or, they will find a better QB next season or the year after to replace Eli and win a Super Bowl with one of the best backs to come out of the draft in recent years.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Didn't the Giants use a 4th on Kyle Lauletta? He'll probably be their developmental QB until Eli is done.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2018 6:49PM

@erikthredd said:
    Didn't the Giants use a 4th on Kyle Lauletta? He'll probably be their developmental QB until Eli is done.

They did. Let's face it, a quality QB can come in any round. It's all sheer speculation at this point.

As I stated in an earlier thread, the average draft position of a Super Bowl winning QB is 54th.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

They did. Let's face it, a quality QB can come in any round. It's all sheer speculation at this point.

What did you think of the Jets picks?

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

I think Darnold was the expected and safest pick at #3. He was the consensus top rated QB in the draft for quite a while (the whole "Suck for Sam" thing was a popular refrain for quite a while) but I personally think Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson could be better in the long run.

No 2nd round pick since they traded it away to move up to #3, and the 3rd round pick is a 25-year-old DL who played for a very small school against inferior talent. Great size and athleticism, though. So, who knows.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

I think Darnold was the expected and safest pick at #3. He was the consensus top rated QB in the draft for quite a while (the whole "Suck for Sam" thing was a popular refrain for quite a while) but I personally think Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson could be better in the long run.

No 2nd round pick since they traded it away to move up to #3, and the 3rd round pick is a 25-year-old DL who played for a very small school against inferior talent. Great size and athleticism, though. So, who knows.

I'm just happy Bill didn't use a bunch of picks to jump up for one of the QBs.

• Options

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/superbowl_quarterbacks/

Super Bowl Quarterbacks

<<< the average draft position of a Super Bowl winning QB is 54th. >>>

Sure are a lot of Super Bowl winning first round quarterbacks on the above list. And we all know that Brady skews that posted average of 54th. Without Brady, that average would likely go from a lower second round pick to a higher second round pick.

I'm going to guess the average without Brady, would go from 54th to say around 40th. With 32 picks in the first round, that means 40th on the average is not that far from the average being a first round pick for a Super Bowl winning quarterback. This solidifies the case for drafting a QB in the first round if a team wishes to have the best chance of winning a Super Bowl. Case closed.

<<< Didn't the Giants use a 4th on Kyle Lauletta? >>>

I saw one Super Bowl winning quarterback picked in the fourth round on the above list. If a team owner wishes to win a Super Bowl, it sure seems like choosing a scenario which has happened once in 52 years, certainly isn't the smartest way to go about doing it.

• Options

@stevek said:

Super Bowl Quarterbacks

Sure are a lot of Super Bowl winning first round quarterbacks on the above list. And we all know that Brady skews that posted average of 54th. Without Brady, that average would likely go from a lower second round pick to a higher second round pick.

I'm going to guess the average without Brady, would go from 54th to say around 40th. With 32 picks in the first round, that means 40th on the average is not that far from the average being a first round pick for a Super Bowl winning quarterback. This solidifies the case for drafting a QB in the first round if a team wishes to have the best chance of winning a Super Bowl. Case closed.

I saw one Super Bowl winning quarterback picked in the fourth round on the above list. If a team owner wishes to win a Super Bowl, it sure seems like choosing a scenario which has happened once in 52 years, certainly isn't the smartest way to go about doing it.

Just sticking with the Giants history, they won a SB with 3rd round pick Jeff Hostetler back in the day so who really knows in the end.
    If NY has a another crap season or two with Eli starting,odds are the Giants HC gets canned then his replacement would probably want his own choice at QB going forward. That scenario is likely for any of the QB picking teams from last weekend.

• Options
    edited May 2, 2018 6:24AM

@stevek said:

Super Bowl Quarterbacks

Case closed, lol...more like here's my speculation presented as fact, lol...just like your statements on whom the Giants would draft and that signing Ryan Howard to that long term contract was a wise investment. Case closed, indeed, lol...you are nothing if not amusing with those declarations

The Giants will have every opportunity to draft a QB next year or the year after in the first or second round if they wish. Or Lauletta may turn out to be that guy to take the reins from Eli at some point. No one really knows but they have addressed a glaring deficiency this season at RB which greatly improves their offensive attack. The Eagles out to be concerned, as repeating is difficult enough as it is, lol.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Super Bowl Quarterbacks

Just sticking with the Giants history, they won a SB with 3rd round pick Jeff Hostetler back in the day so who really knows in the end.
    If NY has a another crap season or two with Eli starting,odds are the Giants HC gets canned then his replacement would probably want his own choice at QB going forward. That scenario is likely for any of the QB picking teams from last weekend.

Here's where the inherent problem comes in. Okay the Giants draft a QB in the first round say one or two years from now. Usually takes a few seasons for that QB to really learn the NFL, although that QB model has changed a bit in the past ten years, but it's still valid for the most part. So then by the time that QB is ready to be a potential Super Bowl winning QB, the star running back they drafted three or four years ago will be a nicked up player, just depends on the degree. Sure some RBs have long careers, but most do not for reasons we all know.

There is basically no learning curve with a drafted RB in the NFL, they are ready to go in their first NFL game. All I'm saying is that if Eli was a bit younger, and the Giants were coming off say an 8-8 season, then I'd be all for drafting Barkley, to get them to the next level and possibly a Super Bowl.

Maybe all this will work out for the Giants. Perhaps they see Eli, as like his brother and could win a Super Bowl at an advanced age. My guess is that's the way the Giants front office is looking at it, otherwise they would have never drafted Barkley with that pick. My opinion is that this will not work out well for the Giants, that they made a mistake. We shall see.

• Options
    edited May 2, 2018 6:27AM

Your guess is about as relevant as what the weatherman says the temperature will be on June 12th, LOL..

Or what place the Phillies with be in come Labor Day..

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Super Bowl Quarterbacks

Here's where the inherent problem comes in. Okay the Giants draft a QB in the first round say one or two years from now. Usually takes a few seasons for that QB to really learn the NFL, although that QB model has changed a bit in the past ten years, but it's still valid for the most part. So then by the time that QB is ready to be a potential Super Bowl winning QB, the star running back they drafted three or four years ago will be a nicked up player, just depends on the degree. Sure some RBs have long careers, but most do not for reasons we all know.

There is basically no learning curve with a drafted RB in the NFL, they are ready to go in their first NFL game. All I'm saying is that if Eli was a bit younger, and the Giants were coming off say an 8-8 season, then I'd be all for drafting Barkley, to get them to the next level and possibly a Super Bowl.

Maybe all this will work out for the Giants. Perhaps they see Eli, as like his brother and could win a Super Bowl at an advanced age. My guess is that's the way the Giants front office is looking at it, otherwise they would have never drafted Barkley with that pick. My opinion is that this will not work out well for the Giants, that they made a mistake. We shall see.

Its just one draft not the end of the world, not to mention the majority of QBs in it weren't considered all that great in the first place.

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Super Bowl Quarterbacks

A few seasons to learn the NFL? What year is Carson Wentz in? Dak Prescott? Derek Carr before he put up the stats he did?

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Your guess is about as relevant as what the weatherman says the temperature will be on June 12th, LOL..

Or what place the Phillies with be in come Labor Day..

With a dismal 3-13 record last season, it's obvious that the Giants have been making other mistakes as well.

Here's how a mistake of drafting Barkley with that pick compounds another mistake. Barkley will likely have a good season, perhaps a great season, and say the Giants improve their record and go 8-8...that takes them out of the running of a scenario of taking a top QB in the next draft, unless they can trade up.

The Giants seem destined at this point for at least the next 3 or 4 seasons to be a non-playoff team, and it's an easy call.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Super Bowl Quarterbacks

Its just one draft not the end of the world, not to mention the majority of QBs in it weren't considered all that great in the first place.

I wish that the Jon Gruden QB show would have been on so that the QB's could have been evaluated. Gruden truly was superb on that show - very enjoyable. With Gruden's replacement on that show, Russell Wilson, i didn't even bother watching it.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Super Bowl Quarterbacks

A few seasons to learn the NFL? What year is Carson Wentz in? Dak Prescott? Derek Carr before he put up the stats he did?

I clearly stated "Usually takes a few seasons for that QB to really learn the NFL, although that QB model has changed a bit in the past ten years, but it's still valid for the most part."

• Options

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23406759/quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-surprised-pittsburgh-steelers-drafted-mason-rudolph Gee Ben, everyone thought last year was your last! You were talking retirement after your 5 pick game remember?? What a dirtbag

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018 8:14AM

Like most of us, I got excited about my team's (Minnesota Vikings) draft picks and was looking forward to getting some players who might help us to get to a Championship.

How many guys that are drafted actually contribute to their teams? In my way of thinking a first round pick should make the team and play for at least 5 years. All Star appearances should be expected but not necessary to consider the player a "success" half the second rounders should be solid players, depending a lot on how high they went overall.

I decided to look at their draft record. I went back to the 2000 draft, I stopped at 2016 thinking their picks last year are still too early to evaluate (#1 pick looked great until he tore ACL).

Out of 21 first round and 17 second round picks only 9 first rounders were able to contribute enough to make the "All Star" game. Only two of those more than three times. Four of them made it once, two of them as kick returners and never reached their potential, Percy Harvin and Cordarrell Patterson. I didn't factor in injuries.

One guy, Adrian Peterson makes the HOF, possibly Kevin Williams. One guy we traded for with a 1st round pick, Jared Allen should be considered a great success, even though he only played 6 seasons in a Vikings uniform.

Of the second rounders only three made "All Star". Two made it one time, neither of those two played for us more than a couple of years, Sidney Rice and Teddy Bridgewater.

Of the 12 third round picks NONE had a significant impact on the team.

Of the fourth rounders, one great player, Everson Griffen and one solid starter.

Nothing lower than that, with the exception of 6th rounder Stefon Diggs can be termed as a strong contributor to the team unless you consider Center John Sullivan who was good for a few years before getting hurt. Wide out Adam Thielen was a walk on tryout guy.

Initially I though the Vikes REALLY must suck at drafting! 3 "good" drafts out of 17?

I took a quick look at the other teams in the division and noticed most of them weren't doing much better, so I checked a few of the other teams that were in the playoffs last year and they didn't look a lot better either.

My final thoughts are; if you get three players who make the team and contribute for 4 or more years that is an excellent draft, if you only get one player, but he is a "All Star" and plays for around 10 years, you still did pretty good.

How would you rate "your" team?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I never try to make any sense of Belichek’s drafting or thought process when it comes to personnel.

• Options

one thing I noticed last year that the Vikings are playing much better as a team, no selfish players-the coaching staff stepped it up a notch, the owners get involved after the games and shake players hands which players like, very loyal fans even during losing seasons. very important that the Vikings get number 1 seat in playoffs next year, they won't be beat at home

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    one thing I noticed last year that the Vikings are playing much better as a team, no selfish players-the coaching staff stepped it up a notch, the owners get involved after the games and shake players hands which players like, very loyal fans even during losing seasons. very important that the Vikings get number 1 seat in playoffs next year, they won't be beat at home

Two words; Mike Zimmer.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    I never try to make any sense of Belichek’s drafting or thought process when it comes to personnel.

I took a quick look at their picks starting in 2000 (Brady), they have gotten 30 quality starters and 16 pro bowlers. VERY good record!

• Options
    edited May 7, 2018 7:25AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I took a quick look at their picks starting in 2000 (Brady), they have gotten 30 quality starters and 16 pro bowlers. VERY good record!

After reading your last few comments i remembered this article about which teams have drafted the most Pro Bowlers & All-Pro since 2000.
    https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/23/14999704/new-england-patriots-nfl-draft-pro-bowl-all-pro-2000-bill-belichick-tom-brady-cowboys-49ers

• Options

Philadelphia has done well too. I don't like that list too well, it ignores good players who while not being stars, are very valuable.

An example would be the Rams, I looked them up when I checked out the Eagles and Patriots. Not many Pro bowlers but a LOT of solid quality starters. I counted 32 players since 2000 that played at least 5 years.

• Options

Looks like the Eagles LB core took a hit today. Released longtime starter Mychal Kendricks for not taking a paycut then lost recently signed Paul Worrilow for the season with a torn ACL.