Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Thinking of Selling a Graded 1972 (#10) Baseball Set - What is the Best Way?

Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
edited June 10, 2018 9:36PM in PSA Set Registry Forum

While I have been collecting graded cards for years, this is the first time I’ve posted the board in quite some time. I’m hoping that you guys who are more up to date on what is going on in the hobby can help me out.

I have a 1972 Topps Baseball card set that I’m considering selling.

The 1972 set is something that I’ve had for a long time. I took my set that was about 50% complete and then purchased two more complete sets. One was Larry Emard’s (who went by the name “King Kellogg”) and the other set was Frank Bakka’s second set. From there I combined them and kept the highest graded card and/or the sharpest, best centered card if there were multiples within the same grade. The set is 100% complete with 5-10’s, 529-9’s, and 253-8’s. It would rank 10th on the current finest list with a GPA of 8.66 and a GPA with top bonuses of 8.67. Most of the cards were graded before half grades came out. I believe that a some of the cards, if graded today, would come back higher. Each of the 10’s in the set I popped out of 8 holders and resubmitted as part of my collector club membership some years ago. Using most recent sale on VCP, the set came up with a value of $22,394.

I’d kind of like to sell them each off as a complete set, but I’m curious to hear what you guys have to say and what kind of guidance you would give me.

Thanks for your help!

Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contact Steve Novella at www.Stevenovella.com. Steve has been in the card biz for many years, and has his finger on the pulse of the market.

Of course you could sell it yourself, but that's a lot of scanning and putting up with buyers, shipping, etc, etc.

I once had the 16th best 1955 Topps set, about 15 cards short of a straight 8 set, but decided to sell...wish I still had them! Remember, when they're gone, they are GONE.

GL,
    Al

• Options
    bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

RE - The 1972 set. I collect that set as well (currently #5), and I've explored selling it.

Given what I learned from dealers, I would consign the set with PWCC. 4SC may offer you a fixed price for the set, but they won't consign; they do pay for shipping, though. Steve Novella would be a great choice for a slightly higher graded set, but his selling fees favor higher-dollar individual cards - the 8s and common 9s, sold individually, would not be very profitable for you. He may buy the set from you as a whole, as well.

That said, you may consider consigning and specifying how to split the cards up... You could sell the 200 most common PSA 9s, for instance, as a block.

If you want to maximize dollars, open an Ebay store, list the cards BIN individually, and wait. It will take a while, but I think you would come out a few thousands dollars ahead, at least, though I don't know your feedback profile on the Bay.

-Ben

• Options

I wanted to thank those who took the time to respond to the question raised in my post.

I found a few more cards for the 1972 set making the composition of the 787 cards 5-10’s, 533-9’s, and 249-8’s. As of January 22, 2018 the set had a Vintage Card Prices (VCP) most recent sale value of $25,954.

I’ve decided to ask $21,000 plus $300 registered shipping. This is nearly a 20% discount compared to the VCP price.

If you have any questions or more advice, please feel free to contact me.

I think you should give give them to me. LOL. Seriously, good luck!

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Cool. At a minimum, I think it would be worthwhile to list the Hall of Fame players and their grade.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

Thank you for responding to my post.

I detailed most of the Hall of Fame players that are in PSA 9 MINT grade in the post I placed on the Vintage Sportscard Trading Forum. However, if anyone wants a full listing of all cards in the set, please feel free to PM me and provide your e-mail and I will send you the full listing.

Also, I am dropping the price $1,000 making the cost of the set $20,000 plus $300 shipping.