Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sharing my box of 20 for the 1st time - Old White Rattlers (OWR's).

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 6, 2021 6:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I started collecting OWR’s (Old White Rattlers) several years ago after seeing one for the 1st time on a 25th anniversary post here on the forums. It’s now posted on the OWR census thread.

My Box of 20 in a old rattler box.

Generation 1.0

Generation 1.1

The 1st one I saw in person was offered to me by Bill Shamhart. I was hooked after that.

They have come from a variety of sources – from dealers, at auction, from forum friends, cherry picked on ebay, etc. The oddest was an email I got from someone out of the blue who thought what they had was unusual and after Googling “white rattler label” came across my post on the BST and offered it to me. Some have been inexpensive, purchased before their existence became common knowledge, others I’ve had to pay up for. Some I’ve passed on with regret. The 20th came this week after a tip from a forum friend!

Smallest – H10, 3c piece.

Largest – Morgans, $20 Saint.

Most common – 3 1882-S Morgans.

As shown at the PCGS Museum of Holders, the 1.0 has a coarser dot matrix print. The easiest pickup for me from an online listing is the 1.0 has a slash between the grade and serial number 55 degrees from horizontal, the 1.1 is 45 degrees carried into the 1.2 generation.

Number of each in the box of 20:

1.0 - 7
1.1 - 13

There’s a theory that these are all undergraded since they were from the early days of PCGS. I don’t know the CAC history of all 20.

CAC gold – 4

CAC Green – 7

Would NEVER CAC – 1 of the 1.0’s, 2 of the 1.1’s.

Would probably CAC – 6, if submitted.

My favorite so far??

Biggest regret – selling a $20 Lib 1.1 to a friend that wore me out asking for it. :D

Will still be looking out for these but rather than buy everyone I can, the focus will now be on type coins that I need for my “Collectible Holder Type Set”. All tips on finding these are welcome! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Buffalo nickel in 1938 looks severely undergraded.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freakin cool post! Excessively cool. The essence of collecting

FYI TL I returned home to find a cool coin in my mail box from you. Check is in the mail!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 8:14PM

That Buffalo nickel in 1938 looks severely under graded.

Not a great picture - you sure?? :D

Actually that's the toughest coin in my 1938-D MS66 Buff PCGS generations set - will never break out that sucker!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent. :star:

108 has long been considered a sacred number in Hinduism and yoga. Traditionally, malas, or garlands of prayer beads, come as a string of 108 beads (plus one for the ‘guru bead,’ around which the other 108 beads turn like the planets around the sun). A mala is used for counting as you repeat a mantra—much like the Catholic rosary.

Renowned mathematicians of Vedic culture viewed 108 as a number of the wholeness of existence. This number also connects the Sun, Moon, and Earth: The average distance of the Sun and the Moon to Earth is 108 times their respective diameters. Such phenomena have given rise to many examples of ritual significance.

According to yogic tradition, there are 108 pithas, or sacred sites, throughout India. And there are also 108 Upanishads and 108 marma points, or sacred places of the body.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Uh..... OK.

Do yogies differentiate 1.0 from 1.1?? :D

Hope to see you tomorrow!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Uh..... OK.

Do yogies differentiate 1.0 from 1.1?? :D

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Actually 1.0 often indicates a western beginners class. They go up in .5 point increments. Believe it or not I'm a certified instructor. For real. Yoga has been a Game changer for me
    m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    That Buffalo nickel in 1938 looks severely undergraded.

Why?

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, what a surprise, 3 of 4 OWR that I've owned have made it into your collection :P

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Such a nice looking box of 20!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding box of 20! And except for all those d@*$ morgans quite the type set too! Lol
    congrats, Tim

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. That feat would be pretty tough to replicate. I like the seated dime and the quarter eagle especially.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post and one helluva an awesome Box of 20!!

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do love the idea of an 1938-D MS66 Buff PCGS generations set. Quite the unique way to collect those 38-D Buffs.

Jeff

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

All old and pretty!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool group

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing!
    Congrats on some very cool coins and special holders!

Dave

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buffalo is a screamer. Looks Ultra gem 68 from my monitor.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

That 82-S Morgan with the gold bean sticks out like a sore thumb, what's the reverse look like?

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 11:37PM

Very cool! A true collector you are! AB

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the collection idea. Really love the 1838 dime and the Sesqui. Very cool.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... not being a slab expert, I must check some of mine... particularly some old MS66 Buffs I have...will let you know... Cheers, RickO

• boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!! Time to start another box. <3 See how far you can take a typeset in OWR holders.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Folks, er, ah, ok, dumb question, what does OWR stand for? I get 'Rattler', but OW?

How about:

Other World Rattler
    Olde Wonderful Rattler
    Obsigned Wizened Rattler

Okay I digress, nice coins and holders, but OWR?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set!

@spacehayduke I was thinking "Old White Rattler" but I like "Other World Rattler" better I think

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

OW = Old White (Gen 1.0 and 1.1 rattlers had white labels)

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Stunning collection of 20!

EAC, ANA Member
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love your passion for collecting. Always have, always will.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful looking coins!!! :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. Very impressive!

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

? OWR's please?

"O" old or original?

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool idea for a collection. Very nice.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2018 11:06AM

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific collection. Thanks for sharing!!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a cool set!

Thank you for the easy and useful tip. But if I read it, and see it, correctly, wouldn't your box of 20 have 13 1.0's and 7 1.1's?

The 1.0's have the more upright slash between grade and serial number with the earlier dot matrix printer, fewer/larger dots per symbol - 1st picture.

The 1.1's have the slash at a 45 degree with more/smaller dots per symbol - 2nd 2 pictures.

edited January 20, 2018 3:18PM

This might show it better.

The 1.1 is on top, the 1.0 bottom.

Compare the "/" between the grade and serial number.

Look at the 1.0's - 3 dots to the base on the "1", 5 dots to the base of "1" on the 1.1's, etc.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

O = Old?
    W = White?
    R =

It would help me enjoy the thread more!

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got it, thank you.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice - thanks for sharing. I'd love to see those in person someday.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine you sitting at a computer screen with a protractor measuring the "/" to figure out if its a 1.0 or 1.1. :D

Nice old green slab box too!

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

Cool set

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

I imagine you sitting at a computer screen with a protractor measuring the "/" to figure out if its a 1.0 or 1.1. :D

Actually, that's what I did! Back in the day when films were printed out and there wasn't a digital protractor on the computer, we measured angles and dimensions by hand.

So, I might be off by 1-2 degrees, but not more. :D

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome set!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file