Home U.S. Coin Forum

1915 Pan-Pac / PPIE Certificate of Attendance

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 11, 2018 2:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a FUN pickup. I'm a big fan of the PPIE Panama Pacific International Exposition so I couldn't resist the holder and sticker :)

Comments

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing! I would have loved to have gone myself in 1915. We just don’t do large fairs like that anymore. San Francisco went all out to create a mini-paradise. And it lacked the serial killer the 1892 World’s Expo had.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! <3

Timbuk3
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a fabulously cool piece! I have never seen one in-hand, but they look astonishing.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool pickup!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

An great example of how original packaging can add interest to a numismatic item. I've never seen one of those before.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to have that!

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!

Frank

BHNC #203

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    And it lacked the serial killer the 1892 World’s Expo had.

That is a neat piece !
    I wasn't familiar with a 'zodiac' running around at the Chicago fair.......

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

That is an awesome piece. Nice pickup!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive.... The first I have seen....I assume the token is gold plated....I will have to research the Chicago Serial Killer reference... had not heard of that ...Cheers, RickO

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wikipedia...."Herman Webster Mudgett (May 16, 1861 – May 7, 1896), better known as Dr. Henry Howard Holmes or more commonly known as H. H. Holmes, was an American serial killer of the 19th century.[3]
    While he confessed to 27 murders,[4] only nine could be plausibly confirmed ..." Very interesting.... Cheers, RickO

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old Thread Update

I used to think it would be great to have one of these with the certificate filled in....

until I ran across this one :o

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very neat items!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:

@kiyote said:
    And it lacked the serial killer the 1892 World’s Expo had.

That is a neat piece !
    I wasn't familiar with a 'zodiac' running around at the Chicago fair.......

See "The Devil in the White City", a book about this.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would encourage anyone who is interested in the fairs and fair pieces to look at all the associated memorabilia. There are some really interested souvenir picture books, postcards and paper such as trade cards and tickets as well as the usual exonumia. Even some really fun souvenir spoons. I should post some photos some day.

edited March 23, 2019 6:05PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    I would encourage anyone who is interested in the fairs and fair pieces to look at all the associated memorabilia. There are some really interested souvenir picture books, postcards and paper such as trade cards and tickets as well as the usual exonumia. Even some really fun souvenir spoons. I should post some photos some day.

Paul Middents wrote the following awesome guide for the Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition (AYPE) which covers a variety of items. I really enjoyed going through it. It would be great to have these for all the expositions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Paul Middents wrote the following awesome guide for the Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition (AYPE) which covers a variety of items. I really enjoyed going through it. It would be great to have these for all the expositions.

There are some books out there, though hard to find. Unfortunately, ephemera has gone the way of stamps...nothing but aged collectors. :(

edited March 23, 2019 6:11PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

There are some books out there, though hard to find. Unfortunately, ephemera has gone the way of stamps...nothing but aged collectors. :(

Well, hopefully there's always a group that enjoys history.

I think the type of booklet done by Paul is really important to group these items together to tell a story. I think moving to electronic publications is important as hardbound books have limited publishing runs and become hard to find.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file