Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A couple more additions...... Now a box of 20-ish Best Classic Commems"

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 10, 2021 1:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Scroll down a bit to see the updates.

As has been expressed in one or two recent threads, the future of Classic Silver US Commems is a bit of an unknown. When I got back into collecting 6 or 7 years ago these were never on my radar. I looked at them much as I did modern commems - certainly these had no place in my collection.

I generally don't like things that are made for collectors. I own only a single proof coin (an unimportant ASE I bought years ago), and I certainly don't own any collector spoons, plates, beanie babies, or the like.

Until that day. When I found out my first cousin 4 or 5 times removed, Cyrus Dallin, was the designer of the Pilgrim. I then went looking for one and bought a 1920 from Mark Feld when he was still a dealer. That led to a 1921 shortly thereafter and I purchased a handful of lower-grade coins for those members of my family who would appreciate it. That satisfied this particular problem until I learned that the Idea for the Oregon Trail was hatched in Pocatello, Idaho, a few miles from my hometown. I currently live only a few miles from the trail and wagon ruts can still be seen traversing the property of a friend of mine. Then our favorite jelly-donut-eating forumite Bear's Oregon was up for auction and I was lucky enough to win it. These two were gateway drugs, in retrospect.

At this point I decided to do some research and picked up a few books. It quickly became apparent that collecting the entire set wasn't for me. Market concerns, boring designs, shenanigans associated with their origins, and the size of the whole thing turned me off, but there were a few issues that I did like. I eventually settled on a "Box of 20 Commems". Now, half-way there, I can say that I'm really looking forward to completing the project, despite just having lost two bids in the Heritage FUN auction. My goal was to find nice, but not ridiculously expensive coins that were representative of their issues. My favorites I decided to splurge a bit on. Those that were just "OK" were fine at more affordable grades. To date, this is what has wandered into my box:

Pilgrim
This coin came to me in 2012. It's OK for the grade. I love the Mayflower, even if a bit historically inaccurate, and the waves are rendered very nicely. I'm looking for a very nice 1920 Pilgrim and when it comes along it will take the place of this one. This is an old photo from before I knew how to clean up a slab properly.

Oregon
This is, and always will be, Bear's coin. He only had a couple of commems in his "Bear Legacy Collection" and this came my way during one of the earlier Legend auctions in 2015. Both designs are superb! Nobody really knows which is the obverse, and that's fine. The historical content, the rendition, and the fact that it was Bear's give it a special place in my heart.

Stone Mountain
They made a boatload of these. I've never lived in the South, but I'm a bit of a Civil War buff (neophyte next to most). Seeing Stone Mountain is on my list of things to do someday. I couldn't possibly care less about being PC and the valor of the confederate soldier is certainly worthy of admiration. This one has a subtle bit of age-appropriate toning and the detail is better than most.

Norfolk
Many people don't like this design. It includes five dates and three "Norfolks". The most prominent feature is concentric rings of text. Still, I like it, and I like this clean, sharp, lightly toned example. It came to me in a rattler that was beyond help. When I had it regraded, it came back a point higher and it re-stickered without problem.

Columbian
This is easily one of my favorite designs and I just love the toning pattern that this coin displays. It's electric, intensely lustrous, and just had to come home with me. Yep, I splurged a bit. I got it from Bonnie Sabel at a Long Beach show.

Isabella
The lonely quarter dollar commem has a nice design. At any show there are plenty to chose from, so it comes down to the proper confluence of look, price, and opportunity. This one has much better luster than most. A slight fingerprint (?) and a bit of rim toning scuzz around "UNITED" are there, but the detail is sharp and luster really fantastic. Better ones are out there, but for the grade, I like it a lot.

California
As classic commems go, this is one of the three or four best overall designs. The state is such a jewel - it's so tragic that pop culture and the government have taken it so far off the rails. I looked at quite a few coins that didn't measure up. When this one came to auction, I jumped on it. This is a difficult coin to photograph.

Lafayette
Having lived there for a little more than a year, France holds a special place in my heart. The friendship between our two nations is largely founded on the relationship between the two men featured on this coin. Their impact to our current daily lives is underappreciated. These coins get rather pricey at high grades. For an MS63, this one has plenty of character. Most are boring and rather dull.

Maine
Since the Peace dollar is clearly the most beautiful federal issue, it follows that Anthony de Francisci's commem would also be fabulous. The design is rather nice and this particular example in a gold-CAC rattler sports really nice Autumnal toning, as TomB would put it. I like this little jewel that John Agre was able to locate.

Antietam
Another Civil-War related issue, the Antietam commemorates the bloodiest single-day battle in US history, fought on September 17, 1862. The bridge is nicely framed by rim toning and deep luster accentuates the overall effect. Also from CRO.

The other 10:
Connecticut - Great eagle, really nice oak tree.
Gettysburg - Our history, the address, the high water line of the Confederacy, all rolled up in a single coin.
Grant - Just like the design. The star is optional. :)
Hawaiian - Like many issues, there are always several of these for sale. Finding a nice one.... well, that's different.
Lincoln - Another fabulous design. One of the few statesman truly worthy of commemoration.
Pan-Pac - Gorgeous classical design. Sadly, very pricey in nice condition.
San Diego - Toward the bottom of my favorite 20, but a nice design and a wonderful city to visit. May possibly instead do a Spanish Trail.
Texas - One of the nicer designs, if a bit over-trumpeted and over-sold. There are plenty to chose from. I'm waiting for one that speaks to me.
Vermont - Apart from my home state, the best place I've ever lived. Wonderful little secret of a place. Cougars rock too.
Wisconsin - Also toward the bottom of the top 20, but a design that I like. Who doesn't like Badgers?

Comments

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice start to your box, @BryceM. Really pays off to be choosy with this series given how many there are to choose from... your coins definitely look handpicked for quality, and all have a great look!

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been dabbling too. I have many that you show above, (though, lower graded), and desire many of the rest on your list. But I too really don't expect to finish even a type set.

I think the beauty of working on Commems, (right now, anyway), is that there really isn't any rush! The things are everywhere, so there's no excuse to not wait around for the right look, grade, and price.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice choices for your Box of Twenty. I especially like the Columbian and the Lafayette. Instead of the Texas I like the Spanish Trail or the Missouri Centennial

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a great start. I capped my Showcase at 10. Went the white lustrous route. Would love to find a nice Spanish Trail like the rest. Been looking for some time. See sig line.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I like the choices for the box of 20...

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, thanks for sharing...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2018 5:32PM

You most definitely have the eye for nice pieces. I never really got into collecting these types of coins, but I must say looking at them gets my adrenaline going. I think I just might star.
    Very nice commemoratives you have there.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice group! I would be proud of those myself!

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice group of coins!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Lafayette is fantastic. Really hard to find so nice.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

All are nice but I really like the California!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! The California is ex me and Larry Shepherd.

I like your concept! I'm actually doing all of the 1928 and earlier comments as my set with a complete run of Oregons. Even this has proven challenging

Have a great 2018!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would choose that Lafayette $1 over most MS64s I’ve seen! Did you pay much of a premium for it?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice group. I concur, that Lafayette is a great one as a 63.

mirabela
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fabulous post and terrific idea for a Bo20!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great choices and fun post to read. Keep posting them as you get them.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, I like the little Bear icon you have poking out on the obverse of the Oregon.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BeerockBeerock Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Very nice set.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2018 10:50PM

Bryce, your concept as a true collector is spot on. Perhaps an abbreviated type set is a great way to collect some very classic coins. Who needs ALL of the Oregons? Classic Commemoratives represent some of the finest art the mint produced, and finding the ones that you can relate to makes for a very personal collection. Really an art collectioon.

OINK

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although it is expensive, I find the Hawaiian commemative half dollar interesting. It has a pleasant design, and it is remarkable that Congress authorized it given that Hawaii was only a territory at the time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2018 3:17AM

A super group!

I'm a collector of early commem's also.

Way to go!!! :)

My newest:

photo 1922 Grant Combo  C.jpg

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice set of commemoratives... That Bear Oregon Trail is a beautiful coin and from a great collector. I formed a set of commemoratives from states I have lived in - not all have them, so a state token had to suffice there...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks for all the nice feedback guys. Patience is key!

@TommyType That MS64 Pilgrim is exceptional for the grade. It has loads of character.
    @Justacommeman Thanks. Always nice to have some history on the coin.
    @kiyote The price I paid for the Lafayette was pretty much in-line with recent sales. It came from a Stacks Bowers auction
    @ChangeInHistory I'll update it once in a while depending on how fast it goes from here.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a pretty cool start to the early commems, i like

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post, nice coins and nice read....as with all our coins, there is a little of our own personal history associated with the acquisition of each piece. Maybe that's why they are so hard to part with.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 11:03AM

While your eye is way above average, that may come back to bite you if you play the incremental upgrade game with a series with limited liquidity due to high populations like Commemoratives. Good eyes typically have the bad habit of focusing on minor defects of compromise grades.

I get their draw as a lover of America as well but I would be very hesitant to cross into investment territory with that series. Definitely would pick the grade before any serious escalations in prices and stick to it. Love the Cali and sorry for stating what I am sure you already know.

• Options

Your point is well taken. The incremental upgrade game has its place but the transaction cost at each turn is a killer. This is absolutely not the area to do it in! I'll plunk down a little money for a really nice Pilgrim, a Hawaiian (no choice), and maybe a Pan-Pac. For the others, just a nice representative piece will be fine. The box of 20 concept is pretty liberating this way.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very beautiful set, I especially like the consistent look you've achieved.

With respect to the individual coins, the California is very impressive. When they show blue in the fields, as yours does, they are amazing! I like the contrast of the blue in the obverse fields with the red-gold near the rim.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bryce . . . .always great to see your coins and superb taste. It was fun meeting you a few years ago . . . . . .

Drunner

• Options

Likewise @DRUNNER

If I ever stop working long enough to hit a show maybe we'll bump into each other again.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work!

I especially like the Colombian.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

For Me, the Norfolk is a real stunner!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great pieces and a good idea I think. The whole set is just way too much. :) 20 is perfect.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Columbian and Antietam are my favorites, but all are fine examples. This must be Commems day.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice ones indeed. I have started this type collection as well. You have 3 listed here I have yet to get. Nice set.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful Lincoln. The OGH and the gold bean sure don't hurt, either. o:)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to resist the CRO pull.....congrats on all the new pieces. I really like the look of the pilgram coin, pizzazz galore!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2020 5:24PM

Wait..........the Lincoln, Pilgrim and California are supposed to be in my BoxOf20.... 😢🤓

Terrific group all around. ⭐️

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. Very very nice coins.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the OST pickup. Great set. Congrats!

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding set!

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool. I love commems, I just always end up spending my money elsewhere.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great collection of commems! That Spanish Trail is indeed special.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is great self satisfaction in finishing .

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those all look really nice. Well done!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2020 6:04PM

I see he made his way back to his table B)

NICE Spanish Trail! We are acquired this in Jackson Hole last trip. It’s a biggin

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...what a beautiful set of Commens!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file