Home U.S. Coin Forum

2018 American Liberty One-Tenth Ounce Gold Proof Coin (18XF) (HHL lifted, $215)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 9, 2018 11:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

On Feb 8, 2018, the US Mint will release the 2018 American Liberty One-Tenth Ounce Gold Proof Coin. It's a 1/10th ozt 24k gold coin based on the 2017 design.

Mintage Limit: 135,000
Product Limit: None
Household Order Limit: 5

Spot today is $1355.
If gold remains between $1350-1399, the coin will be $220.
If gold remains between $1300-1349, the coin will be $215.

The Mint Web page:
American Liberty One-Tenth Ounce 2018 Gold Proof Coin

Coin World is reporting one is on display at FUN. Should someone at FUN get a better image, send it to me, and I'll update the one here:

coinworld: First look at the 2018-W American Liberty 10th-ounce gold coin

Mint personnel allowed Coin World to photograph this 2018 American Liberty tenth-ounce gold $10 coin. Image irregularities are a result of light reflecting from the coin's encapsulation. Coin World image.

Stars are smaller, anyway...

Comments

• JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭

The Mint is really capitalizing on the success of the 1 ounce 2017 issue.

27,190 sold through last week(12-31-2017)

With the smaller price, perhaps more collectors will buy.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Medal is small; stars are too big. :)

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another looser on top of all the other American Liberty coins or medals issued in 2017. Not interested in this one either. To small and most likely overpriced.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another sweet pocket coin from the Mint!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m surprised they didn’t start the fractional with the 2018 design. They’re usually screwing things up like that.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2018 6:43PM

Personally I think the design is stupid. Thought it might grow on me but it did not. To me it is a resemblance of a woman in slavery not Miss Liberty. I guess I'm too used to the original designs.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the only fractional Liberty Gold they're making this year I think. Sure is a tiny coin. $200.00 sounds about right. Those stars are still too big...not really one of my favorite coin designs.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    I’m surprised they didn’t start the fractional with the 2018 design. They’re usually screwing things up like that.

The American Liberty is going to be released biannual. (Every odd year. Next one will be released in 2019.)

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

The American Liberty is going to be released biannual. (Every odd year. Next one will be released in 2019.)

Will there be a new design each time?

@Onastone said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Will there be a new design each time?

Yes. My guess is an Oriental or Persian Liberty is up next. Any other guesses to the race of the 2019?

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It is now politically incorrect to use the word “Oriental,” and the admonition has the force of law: President Obama recently signed a bill prohibiting use of the term in all federal documents. Rep. Grace Meng, the New York congresswoman who sponsored the legislation, exulted that “at long last this insulting and outdated term will be gone for good.”

Warm regards from a Tokyo airport where I am presently sitting.

Backroad... edit out your word (to Asian) and I’ll delete this post. :)

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like this 1/10 oz any better than I did the 1 oz. :s

GrandAm :)
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you do. But, remember who was looking out for you. ;).

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Point taken, Mitch.
    It is obvious to me that some responding to this thread and other threads with the liberty are based around their uncomfortability with the ethnicity of the profile, masked by their distaste of the design.
    Such is life.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased the one ounce silver coin as a gift to a female friend of the family - African American - and she absolutely loves the coin.. even her parents loved it...so, whether the stars are too big, or any other issues others have mentioned, I can assure you that the design is liked by many people - ethnicity aside. Cheers, RickO

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll again put my overall positive impression in although I too wish the stars smaller.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

I know,,, it is impossible to dislike the design on a coin.
    If you don't like it you must dislike it for another reason. :#
    How come when all the people express dislike for Susan B Anthony Dollars or Eunice Shriver Dollars we don't get the same reactions?????

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2018 7:01PM

Not at $200 - way too much. At last show setup bought 1/10 Oz NGC 69 China pandas at BV plus $14.

My best offer on the 2018 coin with ogp about BV plus $15.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭

Interesting. Is it high relief? I just bought the single silver one last year.

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Any chance they will rise in value as the fractional Buffalo did?

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JazzmanJAB said:

That’s still about 25,000 more coins than Nancy Reagan sold and she was only a half oz.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

The design is right up there with the Eunice and Anthony dollars. Those three are the ugliest coins ever produced by the U.S. Mint. I hope they don't make any more.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan on getting a whole bunch of these. 1/10 seem to sell out every year quick. A lot of overseas purchases.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

How many are authorized to be struck?

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Point taken, Mitch.
    It is obvious to me that some responding to this thread and other threads with the liberty are based around their uncomfortability with the ethnicity of the profile, masked by their distaste of the design.
    Such is life.

Interesting. I see it another way as well then......

It is obvious to me that some responding to this thread and other threads with the liberty are based around wanting a certain ethnicity of the profile, masked as their like of the design.

Liberty doesn't HAVE to be white. Heck, think of some of the Indian/Native American looking "Liberties" we have had.

This particular design just strikes many as UGLY and NOT a good design. Pure & simple.

Btw, Mitch, to your point about "Oriental". I am sure some find offense. I'm married to an Asian though, and she doesn't find it offensive. Had the same conversation 2 weeks ago at lunch with a Japanese-American, and she doesn't find it offensive (unless someone tried to use it in a derogatory way....then, as she said, any word they use would be offensive). Talked about it a few years back with my Taiwanese and Chinese and Korean customers and co-workers. THEY didn't find it offensive either.

Sometimes, it isn't the word, but rather the way it is used...then, "white knights" like to come charging in and declare that word one that can't be uttered. That's how I see the previous president's ruling to be. A vocal minority of voices wanted a cause, made a cause, championed a cause....yet, all that effort on a word whilst the homeless and drug addiction issues continued to grow :(

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

@Bochiman said:
    Btw, Mitch, to your point about "Oriental". I am sure some find offense. I'm married to an Asian though, and she doesn't find it offensive. Had the same conversation 2 weeks ago at lunch with a Japanese-American, and she doesn't find it offensive (unless someone tried to use it in a derogatory way....then, as she said, any word they use would be offensive). Talked about it a few years back with my Taiwanese and Chinese and Korean customers and co-workers. THEY didn't find it offensive either.

As someone of Japanese decent (and I am Samurai on my Mom's side, which with $4 will buy you a cup of coffee today), and I'm not offended, nor are any of my (thankfully few) local relatives. I'll bet I got one or two in California that'd be offended though... ;)

Heck, JDM cars are still widely known as "Jap" cars modified by "Ricers". Makes me laugh more than offended, especially when you see some of the results, but those have been used in a derogatory way since WWII.

Bottom line, I don't need anyone to tell me I should be offended at something, more so if someone passes a law saying I should be offended. There are many today who spend waaaaaay to much time looking for ways to be offended...

Oh, and back on topic, I like this coin the same way I liked the entire presibuck/spouse series. Race has nothing to do with it, I just don't like the design, and think the Mint would be better served doing something else. Once they put an Asian on an American Liberty (and I suspect they will), I probably won't buy that one either, unless the design is outstanding. (And I'm guessing... Not.)

edited January 19, 2018 6:30PM

@GRANDAM said:

No mintage details yet. The Mint doesn't seem to want to publish details more than a couple weeks from release.

The price (if gold stays in the $1300-1349 range), will be $215.00 according to the sample PM schedule that was published in the FedReg. (That's a $27.50 premium over the 1/10ozt AGE.)

(Note the 2018 PM schedule won't be official until it's released in a couple of days.)

@Kkathyl said:
    I plan on getting a whole bunch of these. 1/10 seem to sell out every year quick. A lot of overseas purchases.

You really want to pay $800/ozt over spot?

I really don't think this is an investment opportunity. :)

@kiyote said:

@JazzmanJAB said:

That’s still about 25,000 more coins than Nancy Reagan sold and she was only a half oz.

It's also about 20,000 short of the 2015 American Liberty sales, which is more of a comparison than Nancy... :)

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO the most beautiful coin the US mint has ever struck. Bravo after many, many years of mediocrity.

I will certainly buy these, just not at the overinflated mint prices. I'll wait a year or so and pick them up at spot on ebay just like every other product the mint produces.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie I will spend about that but will buy /10 commutative and ASE 1/10 oz Gold. The later will sell out on release and I am sure we can sell enough and make a little. I’m Part time seller so I am not looking for OH cover with my sales just fair price and happy customer. Please follow me. Ask if you don’t see what you want

kkathyl0 on eBay

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@GRANDAM said:

No mintage details yet. The Mint doesn't seem to want to publish details more than a couple weeks from release.

The price (if gold stays in the $1300-1349 range), will be $215.00 according to the sample PM schedule that was published in the FedReg. (That's a $27.50 premium over the 1/10ozt AGE.)

(Note the 2018 PM schedule won't be official until it's released in a couple of days.)

I just want to know will these BE ON BACK ORDER TOO?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m having a metal breakdown with all these medals. Coin collector to medal defector.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I know,,, it is impossible to dislike the design on a coin.
    If you don't like it you must dislike it for another reason. :#
    How come when all the people express dislike for Susan B Anthony Dollars or Eunice Shriver Dollars we don't get the same reactions?????

Well, that's simple misogyny as opposed to racism.

Well, looks like you won't have to hurry to get one...

Spot today is $1355.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 5:25PM

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Well, looks like you won't have to hurry to get one...

Spot today is $1355.

Wowzers! That is one heck of a premium. Is that posted on the mint's website or somewhere else?

Scratch that question, just read BackroadJunkie's post.

edited January 24, 2018 5:36PM

For comparison sake, the 24k 2016 Gold Mercury:

Mintage Limit: 125,000
    Household Order Limit: 10
    Initial price $205.

If you remember, they sold out in about 20 minutes, but 9,000 remained unsold. When those went on sale later that year with a hhl of 1, it took several days to sell out.

We'll see what the AmLib does versus the gold Mercury...

@VanHalen said:
    Wowzers! That is one heck of a premium. Is that posted on the mint's website or somewhere else?

Scratch that question, just read BackroadJunkie's post.

The new sched's been posted. If you go to the gold page, there's a link to the 2018 Precious Metal pricing schedule.

Generally a $15-20/ozt price increase over 2017...

And, it's official.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may be in. Or not.

Many happy BST transactions
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    I may be in. Or not.

That's a 100% solid maybe cheezhed. >:)

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 dollars more than the 2017 mercury dime gold 1/10 ounce. way too much money and mintage way too high. maybe with a 5,000 mintage but certainly not with a 135,000 mintage, they will not even sell out

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the 5 hh limit will be removed after one day after they only sell 15,000 on the 1st day

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like it, but not the price.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did anyone ever say whether or not these are high relief?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    edited February 7, 2018 6:55PM

Ouch $215.00 Is that not a bit expensive? I think I will pass on this one. If they don't sell out might be able to pick this up on Ebay cheaper. Or Not. Don't think it will kill me to pass. Just me though. Keep buying other stuff I am sure I can find some nice civil war coin. Or maybe just stop spending that would be the wise move.

You can buy a 70 Mercury dime on eBay for about $240 or Raw version for just over $200. I am in no rush on this issue.

edited February 7, 2018 8:42PM

I have a gold Mercury dime but its only a grade 69 so its not worth much. But it has nice packaging! : - )

• @AUandAG said:
    Personally I think the design is stupid. Thought it might grow on me but it did not. To me it is a resemblance of a woman in slavery not Miss Liberty. I guess I'm too used to the original designs.

bob

...............................................................................
    It is entirely appropriate that this image of Liberty should remind you of a former slave as the concept of Liberty has far more meaning to such a person than to most of us.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file