Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1879-CC Non-Capped Die - Is this even real?

Howdy!

Found this 1879-CC non-capped die for my collection. Need help is analyzing this beautiful coin. I have imaged this coin, so you can zoom in a decent bit.

The reverse has some things that I am afraid could body bag this coin or possibly call it a counterfeit.
The "G" in the motto looks like was filled? not sure what that is...
The area near mint mark is sort of scratched, not sure why.
The rims also have some dings.
Overall the reverse strike is weak - not sure why.
Worth sending in PCGS to get a straight grade say a 40?

Really appreciate your opinion!

Numismatics & Photography
rv@ravenumismatics.com
Instagram.com/coin2photo

Comments

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 7:08PM

Real.
    Whether or not worth sending in for grading - impossible to tell from your images. Looks XF40 to XF45 details to me, but whether or not it's been cleaned, can't tell...

Edit to add: clearly some rim issues, too, as pointed out by OP

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

What holder is it in now?

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to be genuine. Not worth slabbing. IMHO.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks OK to me but hard to be positive from the photos. If it were mine and I planned on selling it anytime soon I'd send it in. I think that would increase its desirability, especially to a inexperienced buyer.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know much about these, is all that roughness around the MM normal?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 7:56PM

The heading of your post is confusing. From what I can see (BTW I don't know how to do it but your image is terrific and magnifies very sharply) this coin is a genuine 1879-CC VAM 3, CAPPED DIE variety dollar! It may not be the usually seen die state. :wink:

Any dollar experts please correct me if I'm posting misinformation.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your areas of concern are justified, but overall, I think it is authentic. Not sure what all the chatter around the MM is....Probably not worth grading unless you want to sell and give the assurance of authenticity. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to disagree that this coin isn't worth slabbing. It's a $975 coin in XF40, even if it's just a genuine, it still has enough value to make slabbing worth doing....or am I missing something?

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an EDS of the capped die

The more you VAM..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file