Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG - Fresh Back from Our Host Right Now (NOW WITH FULL EXPLAINATION & PICS)

LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2019 4:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I really am thinking my grading skills are not what they used to be.
(Even though I know they have only gotten better over time)
Something is just not right at the grading room IMHO. Is it because of the move in location? Something else?
I want to hear as many responses as possible before I post the grade on this one.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017 12:46PM

I think most will say MS-67. I don't recall ever grading a Morgan that high; yet this looks it. :( You may think it is a '68. If it is in a 66 or 65 slab, there is a problem not shown in the image HLNS?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say 67 except for a bit of rim stuff. Therefore 66+.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

66?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

• Options
    themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

67 Beautiful coin.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis

"If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pics, I could see MS67. I could also see where they may hit it on an off day and say MS66+, depending on how much that area in the field, in front of the "E", front of her face, sticks out when they look at it....maybe even a bit lower if it is bad and we just don't see it in the mirror.

The "S" mints of that time put out some really nice morgans.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017 1:53PM

Sure is nice... 66+

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go 67

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in the 66+ camp. Nice coin!

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I count 4 marks so will say 66

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...it's been brutal lately...I stopped sending coins in for a bit...summer was the sweet spot but that's over like baseball I guess ;)

Clean Morgan I will say they robbed you at ms65+ but that's a 66+ at least to me ;)

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017 2:32PM

You have a bit of chatter on the neck, cheek and to the left of Miss Liberty's face. I can't tell how severe this is based on the lighting and exposure of the image. I have an 84 CC cleaner than this and it's in a 6 holder, so I think your coin will go no higher than MS 65 at best. Sorry.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at 67 as well, 66+ if obverse left field is hiding some stuff under the luster in the image

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought is 66+ :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

FWIW I want to remind everyone that this is PCGS's Image, therefore I am not hiding anything.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

66- just a guess from a photo guessing it has nice luster

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017 2:47PM
    1. Your comments make me think it will be lower. Hardly a mark on her other than the rim over STATES.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to say MS67+ Nice looking Morgan!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this coin gets an MS 66, or + but no more. The reason in my opinion is that common dates are simply treated differently than those more difficult to find in high grade. The exact same coin as an 1879 "P" gets an MS 67 (again in my opinion).

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

After looking at the larger image, to me the "most distracting" part of the coin is under the eagle's wings on the reverse. Hard to tell if those are die lines, or what. Some of the same are apparent in front of Liberty's mouth. Might those be holding the coin from the grade you were expecting?

As for my GTG.....I'll go with 66 if those are simply raised die lines on a freshly polished die. But they may prevent it from going much higher(?) (I honestly don't know how they deal with "distractions inherent in the die")

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

@FadeToBlack said:
    That is die polish. Very common on the date. I've seen this coin in hand. :)

That was my assumption. (If they weren't, then a details grade might be the result).

So, the question is: Does heavy die polish influence the grade? And if so, how much?

(I've often said my grading vocabulary pretty much ends at MS-65....so I'm not even going to guess).

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

photo = 66+/67

coin = ??

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should be a 66. You probably got a 64 because of the striation and the severe grade tightening right now.

How bad is that whack in front of her eye? The trueview is hiding it nicely but it's there.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...it's been brutal lately...I stopped sending coins in for a bit...summer was the sweet spot but that's over like baseball I guess ;)

Clean Morgan I will say they robbed you at ms65+ but that's a 66+ at least to me ;)

I had a Rattler drop 2 grades recently. No reason to crack anything right now.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. MS67 on the nose.

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:

@TommyType said:

@FadeToBlack said:
    That is die polish. Very common on the date. I've seen this coin in hand. :)

That was my assumption. (If they weren't, then a details grade might be the result).

So, the question is: Does heavy die polish influence the grade? And if so, how much?

(I've often said my grading vocabulary pretty much ends at MS-65....so I'm not even going to guess).

It's not supposed to influence grade. I've got a very pq 67 CAC with die polish.

Playing devil's advocate.....If eye appeal is part of the calculation, (and we all know it is), then distracting die polish probably IS considered, to a degree.

Considering the ol', "Would you rather", game: Would you rather have a coin with, or without the heavy die polish?

Seems to me, at some poorly defined and highly subjective level, it might end up subtracting from the grade....

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me guess...UNC details alt. surfaces?

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-66 ... MS-66+ perhaps ... naw ... MS-66

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@USMarine6 said:
    Let me guess...UNC details alt. surfaces?

First Details Grade guess, but no, it's straight graded.

• Options
    WDHWDH Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@TommyType said:
    After looking at the larger image, to me the "most distracting" part of the coin is under the eagle's wings on the reverse. Hard to tell if those are die lines, or what. Some of the same are apparent in front of Liberty's mouth. Might those be holding the coin from the grade you were expecting?

As for my GTG.....I'll go with 66 if those are simply raised die lines on a freshly polished die. But they may prevent it from going much higher(?) (I honestly don't know how they deal with "distractions inherent in the die")

Here it is with much magnification...

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOOKS GEM! I would say 65/66!

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017 4:28PM

Personally I would think I would give it a 66 maybe even a plus, but with the hits at the eye, cheek, neck and rims, I would say a 65, maybe 65+. It's a very nice looking Morgan that you have!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. 66+

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

True views make it look kinda dull for an "S" . Some here's and theres, ....

If you got robbed, maybe 65 or 64.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin! Is there something going on at the rim above states, seen on the reverse?

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@keyman64 said:
    Pretty coin! Is there something going on at the rim above states, seen on the reverse?

Very minor action above AT in STATES

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going to guess that it was graded 66. Really pretty coin.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

F12..... Okay, I'm wrong. What IS it? ;):D

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017 6:20PM

@TommyType said:

Die polish.

Never mind, answered before reading further down the thread.

When do we find out the grade?

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Sure is nice... 66+

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017 6:22PM

Like most, my gut first instinct is to say 67. Based on context, I assume it came back as something less, perhaps because of something difficult to discern from the True View.

Edited to add: Regardless, gorgeous coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file