Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The T-206 Wagner of hockey cards just sold through PWCC.

Card is an SP from hockey's first ever card set. If you mailed this SP in with the other 40 cards you got a free pair of skates. There are less of these in existence than the T-206 Wagner, and many collectors up north see this card as the toughest SOB in the hobby.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1923-V145-1-Paterson-Hockey-Bert-Corbeau-SP-ROOKIE-RC-25-PSA-Altered-PWCC-/142586052894?hash=item2132ca811e:g:9WcAAOSwOA1aD080&nma=true&si=oMir4f%2BkWbMFCmHJGegoAaVUN6o%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Comments

• msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

$25k for a PSA altered card of a player who had 63 goals in 10 NHL seasons...who would have known...definitely learned something new...thanks for sharing

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I was watching that one but knew it would well exceed my spending limit for it. Nice to see others here were interested!

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol @ $65 shipping. is that for gas when they drive it to your house?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I consider myself a pretty advanced hockey collector but had never even heard of this player or card--when I first saw the thread I figured it was going to be about the Vezina rookie--thanks for sharing!

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 4:51AM

PWCC insures the cards. The $65 is just an estimate and it might be higher or lower. The most I have seen the shipping be listed as is $125. If your buying a $20 card it is generally $3 or $4. I think the highest priced card I have bought through them was close to $700 and the shipping was $8. There packaging is tremendous and it's such a pleasure when you get to open it knowing your card is safe and sound.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Wow !!!!

That opened my eyes

I don't think the winner of that card was part of the "buyers group."

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hockey had plenty of card sets before that one. Thanks for sharing the link though.

Arthur

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get that it is a SP and tough card to acquire but not very attractive for a T card. Now if it was a C56 I might feel differently.

Kevin

Kevin

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare card indeed, though I am of the mindset like the above that the C55 Georges Vezina is the Honus Wagner of hockey.

• GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    lol @ $65 shipping. is that for gas when they drive it to your house?

insurance?

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    Rare card indeed, though I am of the mindset like the above that the C55 Georges Vezina is the Honus Wagner of hockey.

I always appreciate it when someone refers to me by my birth name ;)B):)

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

Top 2 bidders both at 100% bid activity with PWCC. I'd use the term "sold" loosely here.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@maddux69 said:

If the Wagner T-206 is held in such high esteem due to it's scarcity, then the Vezina does not compare at all. Vezina cards can be compared to Cy Young cards perhaps, but I believe the Wagner T-206 is held in high esteem due to it being rare.

The Corbeau, the 1955 Quaker Oats SP's, and a few others are rare like the Wagner.

@1970s said:

@maddux69 said:

If the Wagner T-206 is held in such high esteem due to it's scarcity, then the Vezina does not compare at all. Vezina cards can be compared to Cy Young cards perhaps, but I believe the Wagner T-206 is held in high esteem due to it being rare.

The Corbeau, the 1955 Quaker Oats SP's, and a few others are rare like the Wagner.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of baseball cards from that era that are more rare than the Wagner. The rarity is just a small aspect of the Wagner lore. It being Wagner and it being a T206 have more to do with it than the rarity.

Arthur