Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Daily movements of Morgan dollars. Any interest in these data?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

in the NARA archive is an entry including 12 volumes showing the daily movement of standard silver dollars. This is a lot to digitize, but might be worth doing parts as an aid to dollar collectors and VAMpires. Here are a typical volume label and a sample page:

If anyone feels this will be useful, please try to be specific about date ranges....remember, each volume is 300 pages.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only you had the 1895 reports!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Reporting stopped when the new coinage law became effective. I've found no equivalent for later years until 1921-1928.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ones I have on Ebay, ain't moving at all.

:|

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing detail and certainly a lot of work to maintain..... Was there a truly useful purpose behind these records?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Amazing detail and certainly a lot of work to maintain..... Was there a truly useful purpose behind these records?? Cheers, RickO

They are largely just balancing their books, aren't they? Equivalent to a bank at the end of the day balancing Deposits/Withdrawals/Cash on Hand.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Logical explanation.....How boring things will be for future researchers, going over computer records. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 21, 2017 8:03AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ricko said:

They are largely just balancing their books, aren't they? Equivalent to a bank at the end of the day balancing Deposits/Withdrawals/Cash on Hand.

The reason for such detailed tracking was to prove to Congress that the act of 1878 was being followed and that the coins were "circulating." But after a few months, it became obvious that silver dollars were not circulating in commerce, but were just traveling around the country on an extended vacation. It quickly became a storage and transport record used to show how money was spent to move and store the unwanted dollar coins. Later, silver certificates issued against the coins made it critical that Treasury account for every piece.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do they still keep records like that today? I'm trying to track the whereabouts of all the Millard Fillmore presidential dollars.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:
    Do they still keep records like that today? I'm trying to track the whereabouts of all the Millard Fillmore presidential dollars.

Yes they do. I have 2 of the MF presidential dollars and I hear people asking me throughout the day, "Where are those MF's? so someone is keeping tracking of those MF's movements.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file