Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great box penny search today. My first cud,28 Wheaties,8 s mintmark cents and maybe Woody. Prob wron

Comments

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice finds!!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. What's your source for all the cents?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Nice. What's your source for all the cents?

Local banks around town. I actually get alot from the Kroger because I feel like there's not a town of people searching the boxes they get there.

• Options

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    Very nice finds!!!

Thank you sir

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool Keep up the good work... :)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:

Thanks man

• Options

@Dagingerbeasttt said:

@Type2 said:

Thanks man

I'm trying to stay on top of it lol

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are definitely getting a coin education.... ;) And yes, it looks like a wood grain.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the cud! That's a good $20 coin.

• Options

@ricko said:
    You are definitely getting a coin education.... ;) And yes, it looks like a wood grain.... Cheers, RickO

Thanks sir. Getting pretty lucky with my box finds lately !

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:
    Congrats on the cud! That's a good $20 coin.

My first cud !

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely looks like a woodgrain. Great job. Keep it up.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    Definitely looks like a woodgrain. Great job. Keep it up.
    Jim

Thanks. I thought so but I had a coin similar to that one and most opinions said striation marks. So I wasn't sure . But thanks !

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI, excerpt from The E-Sylum: Volume 12, Number 11, March 15, 2009, Article 7:

Last week Dick Johnson wrote:
                 Several mentions have been made in the blogs recently of a new term applied to the surface of Lincoln cents: 
                 woodgrain. The term is apt. The illustrated surface of an 1981-D cent does indeed look like the graining in wood. 
                 While this may be considered an anomaly of toning, instead it is an anomaly of the metal composition. It is an error 
                 in mixing of copper and zinc.

While not necessarily a "new term", it certainly goes back a long way and many different knowledgeable people have used it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    FYI, excerpt from The E-Sylum: Volume 12, Number 11, March 15, 2009, Article 7:

Last week Dick Johnson wrote:
                 Several mentions have been made in the blogs recently of a new term applied to the surface of Lincoln cents: 
                 woodgrain. The term is apt. The illustrated surface of an 1981-D cent does indeed look like the graining in wood. 
                 While this may be considered an anomaly of toning, instead it is an anomaly of the metal composition. It is an error 
                 in mixing of copper and zinc.

While not necessarily a "new term", it certainly goes back a long way and many different knowledgeable people have used it.
    Jim

I know it's hey improper alloy mix but I did not know went back that Far ago history for sure and thank you for the information I get so much information from this board that I think I might just turn into a coin myself LOL

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool finds! I still will grab $5 in cents from the bank every now and then... going through them makes for a good family activity after dinner in the winter.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good source you have there. Good luck with your numismatic ventures!

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    That's a good source you have there. Good luck with your numismatic ventures!

Thanks sir

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I showed my wife the cud and the woody. Nice coins for penny box finds.

But she didn't care too much about the coins but wanted to know if you chew on your nails....... Sorry >:)

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@Cameonut said:
    I showed my wife the cud and the woody. Nice coins for penny box finds.

But she didn't care too much about the coins but wanted to know if you chew on your nails....... Sorry >:)

Rotlf . That in between playing guitar and working without gloves on LOL but thank you all my finds are penny box finds except for I went out and bought a 56 proof Lincoln because it had beautiful toning on it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file