Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is Scotsman Auctions well known? Re 24-s Lincoln Cent

Apparently not to me. I've never heard of them. I just found out I missed out on a 64rd 24-s Lincoln that I've been looking for many many years (although it only looks like an ok coin to me, not a super one).

https://www.scoins.com/lot.aspx?a=12&l=562

Now coast to coast has it in a 64+rd holder asking almost $10K. No way now.

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

I've known about them. They are, of course, not as well known as Heritage or GreatCollections, so deals may be had there. I've never bought (or bid on anything) from them.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

PS...That did look like a nice coin.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 4:58AM

The firm has gotten a foothold in the second tier auction market. A friend consigned a significant half cent collection to them and got some good results.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice coin!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scotsman is known for their Jewelery auctions but host 2 (I believe) coin auctions annually. They are high end auctions at lower rates than Heritage and the like. They have a nice catalog prepared. I'd contact them to get on their mailing list.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last auction that I attended, most everything brought good to strong prices.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scotsman sold my lincoln cent collection and various other coins. They did well and I was satisfied with the results. They put out a beautiful book about 1/2 inch thick and beautiful photos and descriptions are very well written. A friend of mine across the street used to write their coin descriptions, not sure if he still does or not. I would have no problem using them again.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's funny that you mention Scotsman because I just discovered them last night and bid on two items.

I was very impressed with the quality of the coins, photos, descriptions and web interface. First class if you ask me. I received an email at 9 this morning with my bid summary.

IMHO two weaknesses:

1. Maybe it's there but I couldn't find a FAQ page with bidding terms, bidding increments, commission rates, terms of payment etc.

2. My account was activated through a very simple automated email verification process...as a bidder this scared me from bidding stronger...they didn't ask for any references etc...makes me wonder who am I really bidding against: i.e. a bot, the seller, the seller's friend, a kid who is just having fun bidding me up, a guy who likes coins but has no money...

• Jon
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 8:29PM

Scotsman's - Important player in Southern Illinois and Missouri. Family has done coins for three generations. Grandpa-man was super respected, even beloved in the STL coin community.

Rumor is lots of good items simply walk into their shop, and they set the best aside for their own auctions. Not surprising - STL used to be rich.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not heard of them.... reading this feedback, it seems as if it would be worth checking out.... Thanks for the link... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

They always seem to have nice stuff in their auctions, and the results seem to be really good. The thing I don't like is they group lots together. I talked to them about it at the ANA, and was told they like to have a minimum lot value, which is why they have groups for lower value items.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having been "had" by a relatively major auction house on an antique toy train improperly listed with lots of missing data that COULD have affected bidding, I am very skeptical of any lesser known auction venues.

Sour grapes, yep, but I'd want to see a LOT of prices realized on whatever area I was considering consigning.

:|

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to live in the STL area and have been to their B&M many times. I've also bid in a couple of their auctions. My experience has always been that they are good people. They are worth checking out IMHO.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EXOJUNKIE said:
    I used to live in the STL area and have been to their B&M many times. I've also bid in a couple of their auctions. My experience has always been that they are good people. They are worth checking out IMHO.

Agree......they are the biggest player in STL area.
    Of course, they need to make money too, but their buy prices are fair and they will pretty much buy anything if you want to get rid of it.
    I have not consigned to their auctions though.
    Very strong bullion buyer, best prices in the area.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Well known in the ‘hood. At least in my ‘hood.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 12:06PM

First ran into them back in 1988 doing one (and final) transaction.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file